Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Di2 is Broken!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My Di2 is Broken!

Old 05-10-21, 04:22 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by babyboomer
So far, I've tried three different cables.
Do you have any security software that might be preventing the device from connecting?
Old 05-10-21, 05:34 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Just walking through options to resolve the computer connection part of this problem, have you completely uninstalled both versions of E-Tube Project (3.4.5 and 4.x) and reinstalled? 3.4.5 seems like the more stable version, but either one should install the driver for the SM-BCR2. Other thoughts: even without with the driver correctly installed, Windows should still "see" the SM-BCR2 in Device Manager, it'll probably be listed as an unknown device, you may be able to tell Windows to find a driver for it that way. Also, if you've got a Mac around, a functioning SM-BCR2 will show up under USB in System Information, which will at least tell you if the thing is talking to computers.

Badger6 makes a good point- if any of the components need firmware restoration, one of the more robust/direct interfaces will be needed, but that's a LBS problem.

Originally Posted by bruce19
I am running 105 and SRAM Red mechanical on my 2 road bikes. No problems.
Because replacing an entire electronic groupset with mechanical over a minor problem is a practical, thoughtful solution haha
Likes For bahula03:
Old 05-10-21, 07:46 PM
babyboomer

Bikes: Holland Exogrid Jet

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
If you need to reload the firmware (to the battery, since the "brain" of the system sits on the battery, or to any component, your RD could also have corrupted FW), and it sounds like that is what you need to do...you won't be able to do with the consumer grade SM-BCR2 PC Link that came with the bike. In fact, you won't really be able to do much of anything beyond program a functioning Di2...which for most people is good enough. But, to do a system recovery and reload the firmware onto the battery module, you need a SM-PCE02 and SM-PCE1, but at double the price of the SM-BCR2 (if you had to buy that), it's not something many folks with one Di2 equipped bike are willing to purchase. But, most reputable bike shops have them.

Before you go to ripping the whole system apart, confirm all of your cables are properly seated (clicked in), and take the bike to a shop and have them put it on the diagnostic link, I'm guessing that in less than 5 minutes all fo your issues will be resolved.
Wow! If I had known that my SM-PCR2 wasn't up to the task, I would have changed my focus days ago. Had I known what I really needed, I just might have made that investment. The jury is still out, but this is encouraging. I'm feeling more optimistic about the prospects of a positive outcome. Of course, without the requisite tool in my possession, I'm dependent on my local bike shops. So far, it's been difficult finding any one who has any room in their schedule. The last mechanic who was recommended isn't even answering his phone! I might be able to obtain my own SM-PCE02 before I find a mechanic.

Last edited by babyboomer; 05-11-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-10-21, 11:03 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Wow! If I had known that my SM-PCR2 wasn't up to the task, I would have changed my focus days ago. Had I known what I really needed, I just might have made that investment. The jury is still out, but this is encouraging. I'm feeling more optimistic about the prospects of a positive outcome.
The BCR2 is "up to the task" it is designed for...but, your situations sounds like it is beyond that. The PCE02 is a pricey investment, and in normal use conditions is just not something most folks need. It does not double as a charger, and the added functionality it provides is only required if you need to do diagnostics or recover "bricked" components. Honestly, the only reason I own one is that I have 4 bikes with Di2 currently, and am contemplating adding it to a 5th, and I have helped out several of the guys in my local club (they pay in Belgian beer). I'm curious to hear what the result it once you get it fully functional. Please update so I can learn, too.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 05-10-21, 11:09 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by bahula03
Just walking through options to resolve the computer connection part of this problem, have you completely uninstalled both versions of E-Tube Project (3.4.5 and 4.x) and reinstalled? 3.4.5 seems like the more stable version, but either one should install the driver for the SM-BCR2. Other thoughts: even without with the driver correctly installed, Windows should still "see" the SM-BCR2 in Device Manager, it'll probably be listed as an unknown device, you may be able to tell Windows to find a driver for it that way. Also, if you've got a Mac around, a functioning SM-BCR2 will show up under USB in System Information, which will at least tell you if the thing is talking to computers.

Badger6 makes a good point- if any of the components need firmware restoration, one of the more robust/direct interfaces will be needed, but that's a LBS problem.
E-Tube project 4.x is stable, but the instructions for connecting and disconnecting a bike to a computer while using it are a little less forgiving. You MUST force disconnect the bike before unplugging it, or you run the risk of "bricking" the battery....thus necessitating a PCE02 "intervention." E-Tube stuff doesn't play nice with Macs, in my experience (there is no Mac OS based E-Tube app, though I did use it for a while by loading windows using a virtual machine, but that was not very stable).
Old 05-11-21, 12:21 AM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
You seem to have read a whole lot more out of that post than what's actually there- I said that 3.4.5 seems more stable, not that 4.x is unstable, and in the same sentence said that either should work fine. I simply said that a SM-BCR2 connected to a Mac will show up, identified correctly, in System Information, absolutely nothing about an E-Tube version or any other functionality for Mac.
Old 05-11-21, 01:24 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Personally I'm not convinced 4.0.4 will work correctly all the time, but I'm certain 3.4.5 will. That said, the early issue where 4.0 would leave the bike connected and drain the battery in a day has been fixed a while ago ;-).

I usually tell people to give 4.0 a go and install 3.4.5 if the newer version isn't working for them for some reason (sometimes features are disabled when they shouldn't).
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 05-11-21, 09:41 AM
babyboomer

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I missed whether you've tried putting the old battery back in to test it. I know the bluetooth module doesn't work with that one, so remove that, too.
I believe I did try restoring the original parts, but just in case I didn't, I just did it again. The result is the same. The front derailleur works, but the rear derailleur does not. And Junction A does not respond when its button is pressed.
Old 05-11-21, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
If you don't get an LED light of any sort when you press that button, then the battery is either completely dead.... which I find it hard to believe for the little energy a LED requires. Or something is disconnected or broken.

Which Junction box are you using, the SM-EW90A or the EW-RS910? Either way, I'd bet on the wires not being fully seated. I'll be happy to be wrong. It matters not to me. Just get it fixed.

Even with long wait times at the bike shops, If I go to the bike shops around me with my bike, they'll come out and give it a once over if I tell them of an issue. If it's going to be something that takes only a moment, they'll fix it then and there, if it will take two moments and some more investigation, they'll ask to keep it and then I go in the rotation of already scheduled bikes.

If you are using some big LBS, you might have trouble doing this successfully.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-21, 10:48 AM
babyboomer

Originally Posted by bruce19
I am running 105 and SRAM Red mechanical on my 2 road bikes. No problems.
My experience has been that posting to a forum attracts the usual cast of characters. Fortunately, most of them want to help. Then there are the others.

Obviously you didn't stumble into this thread by accident. Its title clearly indicates that it's about Shimano's Di2. Ironically, I think it was the title that attracted you. You saw an opportunity to publish the fact that you think there's something wrong with electronic groupsets. Duly noted. In the meantime, I've got a problem to solve.
Likes For babyboomer:
Old 05-11-21, 12:03 PM
babyboomer

The BCR2 is "up to the task" it is designed for...but, your situations sounds like it is beyond that. The PCE02 is a pricey investment, and in normal use conditions is just not something most folks need. It does not double as a charger, and the added functionality it provides is only required if you need to do diagnostics or recover "bricked" components. Honestly, the only reason I own one is that I have 4 bikes with Di2 currently, and am contemplating adding it to a 5th, and I have helped out several of the guys in my local club (they pay in Belgian beer). I'm curious to hear what the result it once you get it fully functional. Please update so I can learn, too.
Yeah, I'm kinda' wishing I had picked one up several years ago when it first occurred to me. At the time, it seemed like a pretty expensive proposition. Now that I need one, they are not available.
Likes For babyboomer:
Old 05-11-21, 01:24 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My experience has been that posting to a forum attracts the usual cast of characters. Fortunately, most of them want to help. Then there are the others.

Obviously you didn't stumble into this thread by accident. Its title clearly indicates that it's about Shimano's Di2. Ironically, I think it was the title that attracted you. You saw an opportunity to publish the fact that you think there's something wrong with electronic groupsets. Duly noted. In the meantime, I've got a problem to solve.
That's a fair criticism. Apologies.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-11-21, 01:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yeah, I'm kinda' wishing I had picked one up several years ago when it first occurred to me. At the time, it seemed like a pretty expensive proposition. Now that I need one, they are not available.
Sure it'd be nice to have, but currently what you have should be working. Yet nothing is.

How will adding a SM-PCE02 to your inventory help? If your laptop won't recognize the SM-BCR2, I doubt it'll be any different for the SM-PCE02
Old 05-11-21, 02:13 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Iride01
Sure it'd be nice to have, but currently what you have should be working. Yet nothing is.

How will adding a SM-PCE02 to your inventory help? If your laptop won't recognize the SM-BCR2, I doubt it'll be any different for the SM-PCE02
I'm pretty sure the problem isn't his laptop, it's the bricked firmware on the battery. In theory the SM-BCR2 should be sufficient...but not always. The SM-PCE02 (or older PCE1), in my experience, worked even when the BCR2 wouldn't. Regardless, his options seem increasingly limited to visiting a local shop that has the diagnostic linkage and having them recover the system.
Old 05-11-21, 03:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't his laptop, it's the bricked firmware on the battery. In theory the SM-BCR2 should be sufficient...but not always. The SM-PCE02 (or older PCE1), in my experience, worked even when the BCR2 wouldn't. Regardless, his options seem increasingly limited to visiting a local shop that has the diagnostic linkage and having them recover the system.
I agree that the Di2 problem isn't the laptop. However the laptop should recognize the SM-BCR2 when it's plugged into the usb of the laptop even when it's not plugged into the bike. And last I heard mention of it, it still wasn't recognizing it.

So that doesn't bode well to me for his laptop recognizing the SM-PCE02 if the OP is thinking about getting one to solve the Di2 issue.

I agree that it's possible he's bricked the firmware on the battery. Possibly just taking the battery and junction A down to the LBS with a sad face and sob story might get some immediate attention instead of having to wait in line for weeks.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-11-21 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 06:57 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 334 Posts
Is the battery's cable connected completely?
When I replaced my seat tube battery (after 5 years!), I didn't click the cable in all the way. There's an initial click feel/sound, but it's not in all the way. Pressing a bit harder, it clicks once more!

The small plastic Di2 tool, with a pry hook on one end and a tube shaped push fitting on the other end, makes disconnecting and reconnecting the cables safer and more reliable.

I only figured out what was wrong after trying a bunch of other things. Grrr. I should have known.

EDIT-- sorry, I thought you had no responses at all. I see you are getting some lights. Still, it could a loose connection on one of the cables you unplugged and replugged.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-11-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 07:47 PM
babyboomer

If you don't get an LED light of any sort when you press that button, then the battery is either completely dead.... which I find it hard to believe for the little energy a LED requires. Or something is disconnected or broken.

Which Junction box are you using, the SM-EW90A or the EW-RS910? Either way, I'd bet on the wires not being fully seated. I'll be happy to be wrong. It matters not to me. Just get it fixed.

Even with long wait times at the bike shops, If I go to the bike shops around me with my bike, they'll come out and give it a once over if I tell them of an issue. If it's going to be something that takes only a moment, they'll fix it then and there, if it will take two moments and some more investigation, they'll ask to keep it and then I go in the rotation of already scheduled bikes.

If you are using some big LBS, you might have trouble doing this successfully.
Today I found a local bike shop that is a one-man show. He promised me my bike by Friday!
Old 05-11-21, 07:53 PM
babyboomer

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is the battery's cable connected completely?
When I replaced my seat tube battery (after 5 years!), I didn't click the cable in all the way. There's an initial click feel/sound, but it's not in all the way. Pressing a bit harder, it clicks once more!

The small plastic Di2 tool, with a pry hook on one end and a tube shaped push fitting on the other end, makes disconnecting and reconnecting the cables safer and more reliable.

I only figured out what was wrong after trying a bunch of other things. Grrr. I should have known.

EDIT-- sorry, I thought you had no responses at all. I see you are getting some lights. Still, it could a loose connection on one of the cables you unplugged and replugged.
interesting. This is the first I've heard that the battery connection actually clicks twice! Well, it's a moot point now. Today I threw in the towel and surrendered my bike to a local mechanic.
Old 05-11-21, 08:02 PM
babyboomer

I agree that the Di2 problem isn't the laptop. However the laptop should recognize the SM-BCR2 when it's plugged into the usb of the laptop even when it's not plugged into the bike. And last I heard mention of it, it still wasn't recognizing it.

So that doesn't bode well to me for his laptop recognizing the SM-PCE02 if the OP is thinking about getting one to solve the Di2 issue.

I agree that it's possible he's bricked the firmware on the battery. Possibly just taking the battery and junction A down to the LBS with a sad face and sob story might get some immediate attention instead of having to wait in line for weeks.
Today I found a local hole in the wall where the very knowledgeable and congenial owner promised me my bike by Friday. Yippie!
Old 05-11-21, 08:08 PM
babyboomer

I was little disappointed to discover that the LBS to which I took my bicycle today doesn't have an SM-PCE02. However, the proprietor told me that he has a local Shimano connection who can bring with him additional expertise and the requisite tool.
Old 05-11-21, 08:10 PM
babyboomer

I agree.
Old 05-11-21, 08:24 PM
babyboomer

Just an FYI folks.

The mechanic at the local bike shop managed to make a little bit more progress than I had. He managed to get one of the LEDs on Junction A to come on! I was hoping that things would just keep getting better, but that's as far as he got. I'll just have to wait until Friday.
Old 05-12-21, 11:18 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Just an FYI folks.

The mechanic at the local bike shop managed to make a little bit more progress than I had. He managed to get one of the LEDs on Junction A to come on! I was hoping that things would just keep getting better, but that's as far as he got. I'll just have to wait until Friday.
Now try the crashed derailer procedure. It is very easy with the wheel off to just bump the derailer into fail safe.
Old 05-12-21, 12:06 PM
babyboomer

Originally Posted by popeye
Now try the crashed derailer procedure. It is very easy with the wheel off to just bump the derailer into fail safe.
You have no idea how much I'd love to micromanage this, but I'm trying to keep my distance and let the mechanic do his job. If I'd had my own SM-PCE02, we'd be done.

Last edited by babyboomer; 05-12-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 05:24 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
Looking quickly through my Di2 manual. What battery did you have prior to installing the new BT-DN110? If it was one of the SM batteries (SM-BMR2 or SM-BTR2) you may have mismatched firmware versions. The SM batteries may have V 3.0 firmware, while the BT-DN110 comes with V 4.0.0 or later. According to the installation NOTE "If your version of E-TUBE PROJECT software and firmware for each component are not up to date there could be problems operating the bicycle. Check the versions and update them to the latest ones."
And, in the E-TUBE PROJECT manual, on page 1 there is this CAUTION: "After starting a connection check, never connect or disconnect the battery or units until the procedure is finished and the application has been exited. Failure to follow these instructions may cause the SM-PCE1 / SM-PCE02 / SM-BCR2 and the units to malfunction."
Finicky stuff, this Di2.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 05-13-21 at 09:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.