Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stabilizing Bar Tape Plugs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stabilizing Bar Tape Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 07:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They do. Tighten the screw, it compresses the plug, shorter in length, wider in width. Try it for yourself. If it doesn't expand enough, wrap it in tape. That's big money for bar end plugs.
Yeah, they are spendy, particularly when considered you receive a pair of equally functional, expanding BEPS when you buy nice bar tapes like Supacaz or Ciclovation.

KustomCaps do be the dopest, tho.

I have a few sitting around…

KustomCaps bar end plugs

Supacaz bar end plugs

Ciclovation bar end plugs
Old 10-18-21, 03:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I don't see the point in over-engineered bar end plugs. I just wrap the tape from bottom-up with 5 mm of overlap at the start, tuck it over and push the plastic plugs in that weigh 2.5g. Job done, move along.
Old 10-18-21, 07:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't see the point in over-engineered bar end plugs. I just wrap the tape from bottom-up with 5 mm of overlap at the start, tuck it over and push the plastic plugs in that weigh 2.5g. Job done, move along.
A nice bar end plug is an heirloom piece, maybe?

For my part, I just don’t like having to worry about knocking one out when I’m shuffling my bikes around; I don’t have enough space for them all, I’m hasty and disorganized, and I’ve had it happen more than once. I don’t like having my tape come loose on a ride, I don’t like the hassle of buying new ones, and I definitely don’t like mismatched plugs, either. I’m definitely not the kind of guy who’s going to wind some electrical tape around the end and call it good, nor is a cork jammed in there going to do it for me, either.

For those reasons, I like secure plugs.
Old 10-18-21, 07:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Just bought a pair of their BEPs and I don't think they expand at all - it's basically a machine screw that goes through a decorative cap and a rubber cork and then a simple threaded washer that holds it all together - don't see what would make the cork expand - the rubber cork is fairly fat and I think just a tight fit holds it in there .
Yes they expand. Keep tightening the bolt- it reduces the space and compresses the rubber plug. That is the expansion.
Old 10-18-21, 07:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Fair enough. Everyone has their quirks/preferences. I dislike the cheap plugs that come with almost every package of bar tape. Most wedge in fine, but some wiggle back loose a slight bit. Most look fine after use, but some scuff up easily since its cheap plastic.
Again though, there is no right or wrong to any of this.

I like sugar skulls, so I have em on all my bar end plugs except the one with bar end shifters. It is absolutely an unnecessary cost. This is a hobby- almost everything any of us purchases is unnecessary.
Old 10-18-21, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, don't worry about it. If you're on a ride and notice that they're wiggling out, you don't even need to stop - just bang 'em back in the palm of your hand.

j/k - do *not* do that.
I nearly learned that lesson the really hard way. Has to be one of the dumbest things I ever did while riding. I wish there were an EKG readout of that moment.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-18-21, 08:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by chaadster
A nice bar end plug is an heirloom piece, maybe?

For my part, I just don’t like having to worry about knocking one out when I’m shuffling my bikes around; I don’t have enough space for them all, I’m hasty and disorganized, and I’ve had it happen more than once. I don’t like having my tape come loose on a ride, I don’t like the hassle of buying new ones, and I definitely don’t like mismatched plugs, either. I’m definitely not the kind of guy who’s going to wind some electrical tape around the end and call it good, nor is a cork jammed in there going to do it for me, either.

For those reasons, I like secure plugs.
I would get it if there was a problem with a well fitted "normal" plug. But I don't have any of those issues you mention. It's like all bike related stuff. Some people have problems, others don't.
Old 10-18-21, 08:24 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I use old wine corks that I pound in with a rubber mallet (not while I’m riding).
Old 10-18-21, 09:37 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They do. Tighten the screw, it compresses the plug, shorter in length, wider in width. Try it for yourself. If it doesn't expand enough, wrap it in tape. That's big money for bar end plugs.
Thanks makes sense but without holding the washer don't see how turning the screw pulls the washer up and then ultimately expanding the cork ?/
Old 10-18-21, 10:03 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes they expand. Keep tightening the bolt- it reduces the space and compresses the rubber plug. That is the expansion.
I inserted my new adjustable ones and tightened the screw down expecting the rubber cork to eventually be tight against the inside of the bar and then not allow for any more tightening but I can still turn the screw making me wonder if that's normal or did I strip it ??
Old 10-22-21, 07:46 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
I inserted my new adjustable ones and tightened the screw down expecting the rubber cork to eventually be tight against the inside of the bar and then not allow for any more tightening but I can still turn the screw making me wonder if that's normal or did I strip it ??
I do not have Kustom Kaps but I do have Cannondale expandable bar ends that are structurally similar to the Supercaz ones.

You do not have to "tighten" the bolt in an expandable bar end like the other bolts on your bike. Treat the bolt in an expandable bar end as a means to adjust the extent of the expansion (like your derailleur limit screws), and "tighten" it to expand the expandable part just enough so that the bar end stays wedged in the end of your handlebar.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 10-22-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-22-21, 08:58 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I do not have Kustom Kaps but I do have Cannondale expandable bar ends that are structurally similar to the Supercaz ones.

You do not have to "tighten" the bolt in an expandable bar end like the other bolts on your bike. Treat the bolt in an expandable bar end as a means to adjust the extent of the expansion (like your derailleur limit screws), and "tighten" it to expand the expandable part just enough so that the bar end stays wedged in the end of your handlebar.
Thanks for the tip and for responding , makes sense , I was overthinking it .
Old 10-22-21, 09:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yeah, they are spendy, particularly when considered you receive a pair of equally functional, expanding BEPS when you buy nice bar tapes like Supacaz or Ciclovation.

KustomCaps do be the dopest, tho.

I have a few sitting around…

KustomCaps bar end plugs

Supacaz bar end plugs

Ciclovation bar end plugs

Kustomcaps= painfully heavy. They could market them as "weighted bar end plugs"
Old 10-22-21, 03:42 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by woodcraft
+1
A pair of "normal" plastic caps is less than 5g.
Old 10-22-21, 04:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

+1
A pair of "normal" plastic caps is less than 5g.
Even less when one gets knocked out.
Old 10-22-21, 04:05 PM
PeteHski

Even less when one gets knocked out.
You keep saying that, but in nearly 50 years of riding I don't remember ever losing a bar plug. Maybe I need to try harder to knock them out?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-22-21, 04:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You keep saying that, but in nearly 50 years of riding I don't remember ever losing a bar plug. Maybe I need to try harder to knock them out?
if you wanna save weight, yeah.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-22-21, 04:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I guess one who installs these is not concerned whether his or her carbon handlebar is < 200 g.
Old 10-22-21, 05:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
I guess one who installs these is not concerned whether his or her carbon handlebar is < 200 g.
You need the lighter handlebar to compensate for the heavy plugs. If you use the plastic ones that come with the tape, you can just use an aluminum bar.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-22-21, 08:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I use screw/wedge plugs at a weight penalty of ~16g- they stay put and eliminate the temptation to pound those stupid plastic ones back in while riding.

But I cut off the excess length of the screws to save a bit of weight, and they match the bar tape, since I care a little about that.
Old 10-24-21, 07:25 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Wine corks. Easy to remove, yet they never fall out, plus they are light, require no hack with wrapping tape to make work correctly, and they are classy.
Old 10-24-21, 08:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Wine corks. Easy to remove, yet they never fall out, plus they are light, require no hack with wrapping tape to make work correctly, and they are classy.
Jamming leftover bark chunks in your bars is not classy, it’s primitive and rather hobo-ish. I’ll accord credit if it’s a vintage bike from before the era of plastics, but if the bike is from the era of CNC machining, laser etching, anodizing, and 3D printing, then yeah, it’s just slumming.
Old 10-24-21, 11:18 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Troul
wine bottle corks.
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I use old wine corks that I pound in with a rubber mallet (not while I’m riding).
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I am intrigued -- weight reduction FTW -- and have two follow up questions:

1. Do you use the whole cork or precut a certain length prior to insertion into handlebar?
2. How to remove? Does the cork come out when you remove the bar tape?
Old 10-24-21, 08:11 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
2. How to remove? Does the cork come out when you remove the bar tape?
Corkscrew!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 10-25-21, 01:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Corkscrew!
Thanks. Now I do feel a bit stupid for having asked that question. I am just to used to using this: Amazon.com: Monopol Westmark Germany Steel Two-Prong Cork Puller with Cover (Silver Satin): Wine Accessory Sets: Home & Kitchen
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.