Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Old 10-10-21, 01:21 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What did you use? Stan's under two different labels?

I was the person that used OS at 100-105psi. OS would seal that. Any sealant to be used at road pressures should have particulate, as does OS. But we're just talking in circles because I've done it and you haven't, but you somehow know better.

I just don't understand why you don't go back to tubes if a) you're not willing to do this right b) you never had a problem with punctures. You're essentially running a TT tire. Are you just looking for the absolute lowest RR for races, or what?
It is not personal; I don’t contest your positive experience with sealant at 100 PSI and I have nothing against tubeless. The idea is that:
1. Lots of tubeless at 23-25 mm are rated well above 70-75 PSI, but their producers don’t inform us that only a few sealants would really seal at those pressures.
2. Many (or most) sealants do not seal well above 70-80 PSI, but their producers don’t inform us about that.
Therefore, within 23-25 mm tubeless range, I think the user has much more than 50% chances to buy a combination that does not seal (as I did), due to lacking of information in products manuals. That’s why I say that it is not a mature product on the market: launched many years ago and still misleading many times.
Maybe another setup would work – say 25mm tubeless instead of my 23, with your recommended OS. But I’ll not spend further 100 EUR on top of initial 200, while my old tubed can give me over 6000 km of riding, safe and for free.
Old 10-10-21, 02:06 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Those patches are never used on the road. They're supposed to make a permanent repair, after getting home with a tube in the tire. That's why I carry a tube. Plugs and bacon strips aren't always a permanent fix.

I've never patched a tube on the road either. Never carried a patch kit.
I have not had the need to use a plug on my road tires but on my MTB, I have used them and they last forever. Really easy and basically a permanent fix.
Old 10-10-21, 05:02 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
I have not had the need to use a plug on my road tires but on my MTB, I have used them and they last forever. Really easy and basically a permanent fix.
Perhaps a permanent fix on low pressure mtb, but not higher pressure road bikes. I can use 65 psi with my 28mm tires. Anyone using much over 75 can probably expect problems.
Old 10-10-21, 05:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Perhaps a permanent fix on low pressure mtb, but not higher pressure road bikes. I can use 65 psi with my 28mm tires. Anyone using much over 75 can probably expect problems.
You've never used them, correct?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-10-21, 06:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,614 Times in 2,850 Posts
Well Dynaplugs definitely work fine at 70 psi. I don't really care beyond that pressure on a tubeless tyre.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-10-21, 06:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
It is not personal; I don’t contest your positive experience with sealant at 100 PSI and I have nothing against tubeless. The idea is that:
1. Lots of tubeless at 23-25 mm are rated well above 70-75 PSI, but their producers don’t inform us that only a few sealants would really seal at those pressures.
2. Many (or most) sealants do not seal well above 70-80 PSI, but their producers don’t inform us about that.
Therefore, within 23-25 mm tubeless range, I think the user has much more than 50% chances to buy a combination that does not seal (as I did), due to lacking of information in products manuals. That’s why I say that it is not a mature product on the market: launched many years ago and still misleading many times.
Maybe another setup would work – say 25mm tubeless instead of my 23, with your recommended OS. But I’ll not spend further 100 EUR on top of initial 200, while my old tubed can give me over 6000 km of riding, safe and for free.
Saying that it's not a mature product because you used a sealant that exaggerated its effectiveness is like saying kitchen knives are an immature product because your as-seen-on-TV Ginsu didn't live up to expectations. You were duped by marketing and unscrupulous and/or unknowledgeable salespeople.

And yeah, 4oz of OS is $8. I'm not on top of the conversion rate, but if that comes out to 100 EUR, I need to buy a bunch of stuff from the EU while the dollar is stronk.

But all of this is beside the point - if you can get 6000km out of a tubed TT wheel, you shouldn't have been wandered in to tubeless in the first place.
Old 10-10-21, 06:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Saying that it's not a mature product because you used a sealant that exaggerated its effectiveness is like saying kitchen knives are an immature product because your as-seen-on-TV Ginsu didn't live up to expectations. You were duped by marketing and unscrupulous and/or unknowledgeable salespeople.

And yeah, 4oz of OS is $8. I'm not on top of the conversion rate, but if that comes out to 100 EUR, I need to buy a bunch of stuff from the EU while the dollar is stronk.

But all of this is beside the point - if you can get 6000km out of a tubed TT wheel, you shouldn't have been wandered in to tubeless in the first place.
But he wouldn’t have got a 131 post thread out of it and the validation that comes with it.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 10-11-21, 02:04 PM
Redbullet

No, no, you misunderstood all. Briefly:
1. Many (or most) sealants do not seal at the high pressure requested by many tubeless in the range of 23-25 mm. Don’t take my word, just search on the web and above in this thread for such experiences. And look at those using 28mm+, that accept lower pressures: pretty much none of them complains.
2. The 6000km is roughly the distance I can ride free of charge with my old tubed Continental 5000 (23mm) that I replaced with actual tubeless (I used those tubed 4000 km and the total I usually get from such tires from new is 10000-11000 km).
3. The minimum 100 EUR to change the system come from 80-90 EUR for 25mm normal tubeless (instead of actual 23 mm Corsa speed), plus 20-30 for sealant, plus delivery.

And no "unscrupulous and/or unknowledgeable salespeople" pressed me to buy the actual system (tires + sealant) that does not seal. I simply bought it online, based on the official specifications of the producers. They did not warn anywhere that such system will not seal, nor that I should use only one particular sealant.
Old 10-11-21, 02:18 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
But he wouldn’t have got a 131 post thread out of it and the validation that comes with it.
That's not fair, I'm not interested at all in statistics.
We can also think natural: maybe a number of people are interested to better understand the tubeless topic. If I had such information available (which producers do not release), I would have done differently: either try a 25mm + OS alternative instead of 23 + other sealants, or not switch at all to tubeless, since my rims, frame and personal preferences do not allow for more than 25 mm.
Old 10-11-21, 03:32 PM
WhyFi

1. Many (or most) sealants do not seal at the high pressure requested by many tubeless in the range of 23-25 mm. Don’t take my word, just search on the web and above in this thread for such experiences.
I don't need to take your word for it or do a search - it's all moot when I know, through experience, of a particular sealant that does do as you desire. This is so dumb.
Old 10-11-21, 03:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Basic "Cliff Notes" version of this thread: You made some bad choices, and instead of taking responsibility, you are blaming the world.

Longer explanation:

If you had asked here before making any purchases, you would have found out the stuff that Actually Works, and you could have talked to people who actually use the products and Know they work.

Instead of coming to a site frequented by a large number of cyclists and asking for testimonials Before purchasing, you made purchases based on advertisements (when has That ever not worked out, right?) and then came here complaining.

I understand why you are upset, but you don't seem to realize that you didn't make wise use of available resources and thus made bad purchase decisions.

If you would rather ride tubes ..... Ride Tubes.

Not that hard at all, when you think about it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-21, 09:46 AM
Redbullet

It is true, I did not make tons of verifications before buying, I just relied on the brands on the market and their specifications and yes, I expected to work. In fact, it never happened to me to receive products or systems that don't fit, from known brands (e.g. bikes, phones, tv, other electronics, bike parts, etc). And I buy lots of my stuff over the internet.
But this discussion starts to be pushed rather to person than to the topic, so I'll stop, since I don't want to play such game.
Old 10-12-21, 11:34 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
It is true, I did not make tons of verifications before buying, I just relied on the brands on the market and their specifications and yes, I expected to work. In fact, it never happened to me to receive products or systems that don't fit, from known brands (e.g. bikes, phones, tv, other electronics, bike parts, etc). And I buy lots of my stuff over the internet.
But this discussion starts to be pushed rather to person than to the topic, so I'll stop, since I don't want to play such game.
When I started out playing with road tubeless I started with the sealant I was using on my mountain bike. Why not. Tape on the MTB was 3M duct tape, so I switched to a different tape. Seemed great, then a couple weeks later I had two flat tires in the morning when I went out to ride to work. Not a big deal. Grab the MTB and go to work.

When I pulled the tire it looked like the tape had places where the sealant had gone under the tape. Tried again with the same result. Tried different tape with the same result.

Bought a different brand of tape and sealant. Same results. Lather. rinse, repeat. After at least three brands of sealant and many failures I spoke with the folks at the LBS: came home with Orange Seal Regular. Used 3M 8896 tape. Covered the tape with neoprene paint used to seal bagpipes just for good luck.

My point is that because I really liked the way the tubeless tires felt and I wanted them to work, I kept on trying different things until I found one that worked.

By the way, I have a set of wheels on the way from Light Bicycle which are built with no drilled holes in the inner rim, so no <expletive> tape, which has been my biggest problem. Also, I have been using a tire mounting lubricant, which also acts as a bead sealer. The GP5000s I mounted most recently held 105 PSI overnight before I added Orange Seal Sub-zero, which is not their best sealant for road tires but is what I have on hand for my fat tire bike.
Old 10-12-21, 11:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,614 Times in 2,850 Posts
The problem is that there are a LOT of different combinations of tyre, wheel and sealant. The best you can do is Google the **** out of whatever combination you are thinking of running and go from there. A tubed setup is easier in that regard as there are less variables critical to a good result. But even that can go wrong with tyres that are almost impossible to fit/remove etc, etc.
Old 10-12-21, 12:40 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The problem is that there are a LOT of different combinations of tyre, wheel and sealant. The best you can do is Google the **** out of whatever combination you are thinking of running and go from there.
To be fair, that's a bit of a condemnation of tubeless, isn't it? It shouldn't be that difficult.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-12-21, 02:10 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
Sure glad that I bought wheels that need no rim tape (fulcrum racing 3), used orange seal endurance and Michelin 28mm tires that only need about 65 psi. That should minimize problems. I already know that I can easily install a tube on the road.

I made all of these decisions based on reading posts like this one where people discuss rim tape problems, sealants that don't work well and tires and rims that make mounting difficult. I have none of those problems.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 10-12-21 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-12-21, 02:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
To be fair, that's a bit of a condemnation of tubeless, isn't it? It shouldn't be that difficult.
Well, it is not difficult! We have an OP who has on numerous attempts to get a tubeless bashing thread war started and after 20 contributions on this thread alone final got one going mainly by just repeating the same point over and over again. You a frequent contributor are well aware of how simple current tubeless technology really is and that it works very well.
Old 10-12-21, 02:47 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You as a frequent contributor are well aware of how simple current tubeless technology really is and that it works very well.
If you have to consult online forums before you try tubeless, then it isn’t simple enough.
Old 10-12-21, 03:14 PM
WhyFi

If you have to consult online forums before you try tubeless, then it isn’t simple enough.
Really, it's not that hard. Most tales of impossible-to-fit tires can be chalked up to poor technique and, frankly, even those reports are starting to fall away as rim and tire manufacturers get on the same page. Sealant is the sticky bit, and we just have the misfortune of the 800lb sealant gorilla offering spotty results, at best. The extent of my "research" was to find an appropriate sealant at 100psi. I got it right on the first try.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-12-21, 03:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Really, it's not that hard. Most tales of impossible-to-fit tires can be chalked up to poor technique and, frankly, even those reports are starting to fall away as rim and tire manufacturers get on the same page. Sealant is the sticky bit, and we just have the misfortune of the 800lb sealant gorilla offering spotty results, at best. The extent of my "research" was to find an appropriate sealant at 100psi. I got it right on the first try.
It isn't clear to me, having looked around, if OS Endurance is as good as standard OS at 100 lbs.

I remember when car tubeless first came out, I got flats. The ordinary flat stopped happening in just a few years. Since then, I've had a car flat when the radial wires came through the sidewall due to a defective tire, hitting a rock just wrong on a mountain road, slashing the sidewall, and finding I'd run over a 16d nail upon returning from a hiking trip. I guess that latter had been an unnoticed slow leak. All of these flats were resolved by having a pumped up spare tire and wheel in the car. I never had to walk the 20 to 60 miles to somewhere I could get service. So that's a mature product.

Bike tires are inherently problematic no matter the construction due to the many constraints which car and truck tires don't have. I'm one-up on most cyclists because I carry a spare tire and tubes on every ride. I'd do that even if I rode tubeless, just because I don't like to walk miles in my bike shoes. It's quick to put on a spare tire and tube no matter the damage to the flatted tire. That's a big advantage over car and truck tires, which pretty much equalizes things as long as the rim will go both ways. No walking. I don't see how a more mature technology for TL bike tires will remove what I feel is my necessity to carry spares. When I go into the backcountry, I carry spares for every emergency I can think of. So far, I've always been able to walk out.
Old 10-13-21, 08:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

This is simple nonsense.

If you have to consult online forums before buying a $1500+ bicycle, cycling is not simple enough.

Think how many $1500 bikes i could buy, from expensive hybrids to cheap F//S MTBs to beginner road bikes to medium-grade road bikes from a discount site to any number of used bikes of any variety. I could buy a fat bike for that money, or a lightweight road bike .....

What we need is for there to be only one kind of sealant, one kind of tire, one kind of wheel, and one kind of frame .... and only one kind of rider.

And who decides what a thing "should" be anyway? That is arbitrary.

There is a huge variety of applications for tubeless. Is fat-bike info (four psi, max folks) applicable to skinny-tire road bikes?

Shoot .... look at Chain Lube. Used to be, a handful of automotive grease .... then it was a drip of tri-flow. Now it is six thousand waxes, oils, semi-solids .... is that a problem?

No ... different stuff has different best applications. People who want to know, do the research.

By the way .... I bought generic tape in a 25-foot roll, Stan's sealant, generic valves, and did tubeless myself. I made a few mistakes because I over-tightened the valves, and had some trouble seating some tires .... but I figured it out, without doing too much research (I research Everything I spend money on, money being something which I cannot harvest from trees and such.) I run 28s at 105 psi, no issues so far. With Stan's no less.

But ... the idea that anything which can be done different ways for different and not remotely related applications is necessarily bad because people have to learn it .... sounds great for Dumbed-Down America or people too lazy to care. Otherwise, I suggest people research everything. We have huge amounts of computing power and access to a huge volume of information---resources people couldn't even dream of in the past---and we use it all to say that we shouldn't have to use it?

Yeah ... you stick with that thought. You will go far.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-13-21, 08:59 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It isn't clear to me, having looked around, if OS Endurance is as good as standard OS at 100 lbs.

I remember when car tubeless first came out, I got flats. The ordinary flat stopped happening in just a few years. Since then, I've had a car flat when the radial wires came through the sidewall due to a defective tire, hitting a rock just wrong on a mountain road, slashing the sidewall, and finding I'd run over a 16d nail upon returning from a hiking trip. I guess that latter had been an unnoticed slow leak. All of these flats were resolved by having a pumped up spare tire and wheel in the car. I never had to walk the 20 to 60 miles to somewhere I could get service. So that's a mature product.

Bike tires are inherently problematic no matter the construction due to the many constraints which car and truck tires don't have. I'm one-up on most cyclists because I carry a spare tire and tubes on every ride. I'd do that even if I rode tubeless, just because I don't like to walk miles in my bike shoes. It's quick to put on a spare tire and tube no matter the damage to the flatted tire. That's a big advantage over car and truck tires, which pretty much equalizes things as long as the rim will go both ways. No walking. I don't see how a more mature technology for TL bike tires will remove what I feel is my necessity to carry spares. When I go into the backcountry, I carry spares for every emergency I can think of. So far, I've always been able to walk out.
I am using Orange Seal Sub-Zero, which they give the lowest puncture sealing rating and it has sealed all the tire punctures I have had. One of them (a front tire puncture) I was aware of sealant spraying out while I was riding. I have found a couple more when I got home. I run between 100 and 105 PSI on my solo bikes and 90 PSI on the tandem. I have had tire failures after switching to tubeless, but none were punctures that left me with a usable tire.

All of my bicycle touring has been done on tube tires and I carried a spare tire and tube along with a patch kit. I will probably carry a spare tire when we start touting again. The people I know who carry a spare tire on local rides are all riding tubular tires.

As far as automobile tires go, nobody wants to run tube tires today. It will not surprise me if we see bicycle tires diverge into "performance" (tubeless pneumatic tires) and "fail-safe" (like the Schwalbe Airless Urban or Tannus tires).
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-13-21, 09:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have had tire failures after switching to tubeless, but none were punctures that left me with a usable tire.
That's unfortunate
Old 10-13-21, 09:10 AM
tomato coupe

The statement that you need to consult forums before trying tubeless wasn’t from me. I’m saying that if that’s the case, then they’re not simple enough. Personally, I don’t think it’s that hard.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-13-21, 02:09 PM
Maelochs

Simple enough for what?

If I cannot buy a bicycle and just ride off on it .... if I cannot immediately understand how the derailleurs work, if I cannot keep them adjusted, if I have to understand spoke tension enough to know that I need my wheels trues, if I cannot instinctively adjust my brake and derailleur cables when they take that first stretch ... then I guess cycling ls not simple enough.

We should ban it.
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.