Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Greetings! Also What Should I Buy Next?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-12-21, 04:47 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts

Hello from Chattanooga! Recently purchased a Giant Defy Aluxx. It is the entry level 5 version. Just recently started road biking. Met some really great folks on a group ride and I definitely see this becoming a great new hobby/fitness activity.

So far I have the stock bike, a cheapo Schwinn helmet and a saddlebag with a spare tube, CO2 cartridges and a patch kit.
Anything else I need or would make riding distances easier? Thinking about getting a cellphone holder for navigation.
At what point would I consider getting a new seat? Can't tell if this is my noob booty or not but it's definitely the only thing sore after a 23 mile ride.

Anyway looking forward to learning more!
Old 10-12-21, 05:03 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
You could spend the rest of your life searching for the perfect saddle lol
I've been riding (as an adult) for 30 yrs & still learnin stuff.
Consider: water bottle (& cage to hold it), sunglasses, fingerless gloves (for summer), wear bright colors........
Old 10-12-21, 05:04 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
A bike fit. Bike tools for basic maintenance. Pump. Clothing more appropriate for your activity. (Time in saddle can help with soreness but so can bib shorts with padding). Heart rate monitor. Sunglasses (cycling specific or not). Bottle cages and water bottles. A calendar so you can mark the date when your first century will be. Head unit.

ETA: Front and rear lights. Gloves. Cycling specific shoes (whether flats or cleats).
Old 10-12-21, 05:11 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Bike fit might not be a bad idea. I do have a floor pump that came with the bike. I'm a wearing what we're actually volleyball court shoes (don't ask why, don't play volleyball). What kind of non-clipless shoes do you recommend?

I have a cage and water bottle. That has been very useful.

Should I get cage-type pedals or just wait and get clipless pedals in the future?
Old 10-12-21, 06:48 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
helmet?
gm
Old 10-13-21, 08:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
I like to bring a mini-pump and a mini-tool (usually a flat and Phillips screwdrivers, 5 or 6 Allen wrenches, and a Torx point,) three tire levers, a chain break (Park Mini-Brute) and several quick links, two spare tubes, a tire boot (Tyvek (plastic) envelopes and dollar bills work,) and an energy bar just in case. I carry all this in a small under-seat bag.

A tail light is really useful, and a headlight, particularly if you plan to ride any time except bright daylight.

Gloves can ease the vibrations/ pressure on the hands, and padded short/bibs are more comfortable in my experience.

Beyond that, it is a matter of how much money you want to spend. I'd probably ride a while and see how much you ride before investing in much. Cellphone can go in a jersey pocket (if you have a jersey with a back pocket) or in the seat bag, and can be used to track your rides (I use Ride With GPS and have used Strava--both have free versions,) but if you want to get a bike computer (which is a sizeable but not huge investment) then why mess with a cell=phone holder?

Some will disagree (shocking!) but I say a cheap helmet offers 99 percent of what a $400 helmet offers. if you crash at anything much more than 13 mph the helmet will only keep you from getting scraped and cut, but not concussed. Too many variables to know if the high-tech features will help in any particular fall, no matter how good they are in lab tests. I say, if a $40 helmet provides 99 percent of the protection of a $400 helmet .... well, you choose. I prefer not to wear a helmet, but hen I must, it is a $40 Bell.

There are basically two types of clipless pedals---those that make you walk like a cripple and those which allow you to walk normally. SPD-style (two-bolt) pedals usually weigh a little more but you can buy shoes with recesses for the cleats--I have a cheap set of cycling sandals, plus normal cycling shoes with SPD cleats for when I might want them.

SPD-SL cleats or any other "three-bolt" or "road" cleat (any of the other brands which don't let you walk) are most popular for road cyclists and work quite well, unless you break down ten miles from home and can't call a ride.

Shoes can be a real issue, because everyone sizes and shapes things just a bit differently. You almost have to try on shoes before you will know if they fit ..... unless you have perfectly generic feet, possibly.

Don't even worry about clipless until you have a bunch of miles behind you.

Not sure if your chain has a Quick Link or whatever proprietary name connector, but I suggest to add one, and carry a few extra. If your chain should break, fixing it on the roadside can be challenging. With quick links, you can just pop out the old pins and throw in some quick links and ride away.

Depending on how handy you are, you might want some tools. I suggest everyone carries a multi-tool at least. Being able to change cables and adjust brakes and derailleurs, tighten loose bolts, adjust the saddle, etc can be handy and a shop might charge you a ridiculous fee .... and there are YouTube videos for everything bike. I suggest watching Park Tools videos and at least one or two others before tackling any job .... but you might want to learn the very basics.

While shopping is tons of fun, don't go crazy. Ride more and decide what you might want to actually enhance your specific experience.
Old 10-14-21, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything until I myself have determined that I need it or simply just want it.

Keep riding your bike and you'll know the answers. What works great for short distance doesn't always work well for long distance. What is great for low effort leisurely rides probably won't fair well on higher effort riding.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-22-21, 04:43 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
I would strongly suggest a set of daytime blinking lights - white in front, red to the rear. They won't make your ride any easier, but it may make your ride safer.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-22-21, 05:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Keep riding your bike and you'll know the answers.

^ The solution to most of life's problems right there!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 10-22-21, 08:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 340 Posts
You only need a new seat if your wiener starts feeling funny, a sore ass is normal. Bike shorts help with that, but aren't needed unless you're riding for like 5 hours
Old 10-23-21, 01:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,617 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Some will disagree (shocking!) but I say a cheap helmet offers 99 percent of what a $400 helmet offers. if you crash at anything much more than 13 mph the helmet will only keep you from getting scraped and cut, but not concussed. Too many variables to know if the high-tech features will help in any particular fall, no matter how good they are in lab tests. I say, if a $40 helmet provides 99 percent of the protection of a $400 helmet .... well, you choose. I prefer not to wear a helmet, but hen I must, it is a $40 Bell.
I think the number one thing with helmets is fit. A poor fitting helmet of any price is useless. What I would say about the more expensive helmets is that they tend to be lighter, with better retaining systems and better ventilation. But you certainly don't have to spend a fortune.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-23-21, 01:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,617 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier

So far I have the stock bike, a cheapo Schwinn helmet and a saddlebag with a spare tube, CO2 cartridges and a patch kit.
Anything else I need or would make riding distances easier? Thinking about getting a cellphone holder for navigation.
At what point would I consider getting a new seat? Can't tell if this is my noob booty or not but it's definitely the only thing sore after a 23 mile ride.
I would add a mini-pump in case you run out of CO2. I don't actually bother with CO2 at all, just a really effective mini-pump (Silca Tattico)
Gloves - you'll thank me the first time you fall off your bike
A rear light
Bottle cage and bottle
Packable rain jacket
Mini multi-tool

Maybe a new saddle if you still have a sore ass after a few months of riding. Might also want to think about what shorts you are wearing at that point.
Likes For PeteHski: