Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter + hybrid bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter + hybrid bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 03:49 AM
pm125

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter + hybrid bike?

I am interested in a bike for commuting and family recreation. Commuting is for 3-4 months of the year, 3 miles each way, on a mostly flat bike path in a park, wearing work clothes. Recreation is a few weekends a year, up to 20 miles with a few mild-medium inclines, on surfaces that are either paved or well-packed gravel, with spouse and 11-year-old kid. I previously used a Trek 7100 with added full fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, one large pannier for a similar purpose and was pretty happy with that. Now I need to replace that bike and I am debating between:

1) Hybrid with added full fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, large pannier (like Marin Fairfax or REI CTY 1.1)
2) Commuter bike that already had fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, chain cover or belt drive, with added pair of panniers (like Retrospec Beaumont City or Brooklyn Blcycle Company Franklin)

Budget is US $500-700, if possible

I am attracted to bikes with chain covers, belt drives, or internal shifters, so that I don't have to wrap straps around my work pants to avoid getting grease on them. But these bikes have far fewer gears than the usual 21 speeds of a hybrid. I occasionally used the ends of my hybrid's range, but only for a few minutes at a time. If a commuter's 7 speeds are spread far enough apart to cover most of the same range, I may not miss a hybrid's 21 speeds.

Questions:

1) How can I compare the range of gear ratios? Given the range from the easiest to the hardest of a hybrid's 21 speeds, where in that range does a commuter's 7-speed range sit?
2) Is there a bike with nearly a hybrid's 21-speed range that also has a covered or enclosed chain or belt?
Old 10-17-21, 06:35 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Take a look at Priority bikes. I had one in the past that should meet your requirements. And I never had an issue with the gearing since it has a variable gearing system. Plus, it was a belt drive.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 10-18-21, 03:50 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Priority bikes are nice, but the ones that fit your price range don't have the gearing to match your 3x7. The gear ratios of a 1x10 or 11 would probably fill your needs. 20 miles on a 7 or 8 speed would be tough. 9 speed is doable if you can give up the top end speed for your normal commute, but that depends on what your priorities are. Personally I'd prioritize the commute since it's more often.
Originally Posted by pm125
I am interested in a bike for commuting and family recreation. Commuting is for 3-4 months of the year, 3 miles each way, on a mostly flat bike path in a park, wearing work clothes. Recreation is a few weekends a year, up to 20 miles with a few mild-medium inclines, on surfaces that are either paved or well-packed gravel, with spouse and 11-year-old kid. I previously used a Trek 7100 with added full fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, one large pannier for a similar purpose and was pretty happy with that. Now I need to replace that bike and I am debating between:

1) Hybrid with added full fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, large pannier (like Marin Fairfax or REI CTY 1.1)
2) Commuter bike that already had fenders, rear rack, mirror, lights, chain cover or belt drive, with added pair of panniers (like Retrospec Beaumont City or Brooklyn Blcycle Company Franklin)

I am attracted to bikes with chain covers, belt drives, or internal shifters, so that I don't have to wrap straps around my work pants to avoid getting grease on them. But these bikes have far fewer gears than the usual 21 speeds of a hybrid. I occasionally used the ends of my hybrid's range, but only for a few minutes at a time. If a commuter's 7 speeds are spread far enough apart to cover most of the same range, I may not miss a hybrid's 21 speeds.

Questions:

1) How can I compare the range of gear ratios? Given the range from the easiest to the hardest of a hybrid's 21 speeds, where in that range does a commuter's 7-speed range sit?
2) Is there a bike with nearly a hybrid's 21-speed range that also has a covered or enclosed chain or belt?
Old 10-19-21, 04:49 AM
pm125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
Take a look at Priority bikes. I had one in the past that should meet your requirements. And I never had an issue with the gearing since it has a variable gearing system. Plus, it was a belt drive.
Thank you! I did not know about Priority bikes. They look very nice. I might need to raise my budget but these bikes do fit a lot of my needs.
Old 10-19-21, 04:53 AM
pm125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Priority bikes are nice, but the ones that fit your price range don't have the gearing to match your 3x7. The gear ratios of a 1x10 or 11 would probably fill your needs. 20 miles on a 7 or 8 speed would be tough. 9 speed is doable if you can give up the top end speed for your normal commute, but that depends on what your priorities are. Personally I'd prioritize the commute since it's more often.
Good points. Thanks for the thoughts about 7-8 vs 10-11 ratios. It's the kind of experience-based sense that I was not finding in the numbers. Giving up top speed would have been more difficult at a younger, more carefree age. By now I have heard of a couple of bad accidents that friends had that changed their (and their families') lives. Not going too fast seems less of a problem than it used to.
Old 10-19-21, 11:37 AM
Sardines

Well you've done this already, so which gears do you remember using most on your commute and hill climbs? Then find bikes with gearing to fit those conditions.
Old 10-19-21, 02:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Just about every major bike company makes a bike like this and there are a lot of smaller brands that specialize in them, there are dozens to choose from and they are all adequate. Given covid pricing and availability you might have to up your budget and widen your search. Don't get your heart set on a specific model, you will be waiting a year. Look for what's in stock.

Average 7 or 8 speed Shimano gear hub setups are going to give you a bottom gear that is a few shifts taller than a triple derailleur. You can go look up some stuff, like this Trek:

Loft 7i Step-Over | Trek Bikes

Which has 44/20 sprockets and a Shimano gear hub

SG-C3001-7D (shimano.com)

with a .632:1 bottom gear that gives you an overall ratio of 1.39

Which you can compare to a hybrid like this FX 2:

FX 2 DISC | Trek Bikes

with a double derailleur with a 30/36 low gear, or 0.83, which is about three (rear) shifts lower. And which is nearly get off and push speed. While we are at it, the top gear is about two shifts higher.

The Shimano 8 speed has a slightly wider range, and the Alfine 11 has a range comparable to derailleur bikes but it's not in your price range.

(Note to any gearing nerds checking my math I'm defining shifts as 116%)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-20-21, 04:58 AM
pm125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Well you've done this already, so which gears do you remember using most on your commute and hill climbs? Then find bikes with gearing to fit those conditions.
Yes, I hadn't thought of that! So yesterday I tried climbing my commute's steepest hill with one gear taller than usual and I found it's ok. Now I can look up that gear ratio and make sure it's included in my future bike's range. Thanks!
Old 10-20-21, 11:35 AM
Sardines

Ah good. The numbers are the best way to know a bike but for those who aren't versed, it's easier to go with experiential data and then use the numbers. Now that you have that settled, you can delve into what kind of hub you want? Haha Internal hubs like the Alfine, Rohloff, CVTs like the Enviolo (which is interesting because there are no gears, just a range of gears in a constant drive, or go crazy and go for a Pinion, which removes pretty much quarterly maintenance cost, for a simple oil and cable change annually.
If you don't do your own maintenance, a belt drive is probably a good option, even if you put in a few hundred dollars more, because what you save in derailleur/chain maintenance, if you're the fastidious type, would be at least twice a year. So the money would be back in about 3-4 years, plus you have a better bike to commute with.
Old 10-21-21, 10:00 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I bought this hybrid to commute to work ( 5 miles one way )
https://www.raleighusa.com/redux2-r143

It was awesome for that. I got hooked on biking then found the bike was cost prohibitive to modify to make faster. If you are 99% sure you are not going want to start riding weekends for fitness doing longer rides then hybrid is great. If you think might turn into a cyclist I highly recommend getting a gravel bike with shimmano 105, disk breaks, 2x 11. It's more relaxed and comfy compared to an aero road bike. The gravel bike you can ride grave/dirt/road. If you are wanting to go faster on the just buy 2nd wheel set for your road tires.
Old 11-04-21, 01:34 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pm125

Questions:

With that level of mileage and moderate terrain get a used Specialized Langster and add whatever accessories you need. Why bother with gearing when you don't need it?