Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Old 10-19-21, 11:17 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
So in all, yeah, I’m stoked on the X3 and think it’s great! I have the bead blasted finish with matte paint up front, which is something new for me, but I’ve grown to appreciate it; folks are often uncertain what the material is, thinking at first it may be carbon fiber.
Yes it's a Carbon fork.
Nice paint choice BTW. My color of choice is blue so I got blue, plus polished, plus blasted design (Vector). It's a pain from a cleaning standpoint. If I had to do it again I would have gotten their "Hue" finish (painted fork & seat tube, polished logos and brushed everywhere else.) then used stem, seat post and cages to add more color in.
Old 10-19-21, 11:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
Yes it's a Carbon fork.
Nice paint choice BTW. My color of choice is blue so I got blue, plus polished, plus blasted design (Vector). It's a pain from a cleaning standpoint. If I had to do it again I would have gotten their "Hue" finish (painted fork & seat tube, polished logos and brushed everywhere else.) then used stem, seat post and cages to add more color in.
Haha! I think you might have misread my post; my remark was that *folks* are sometimes unclear what the frame material is. I am certainly aware the fork is carbon fiber!

My finish has taken me some time to figure out care for as well. I wouldn’t say it has been a pain, but caring for blasted Ti and matte finish paint are both different from a typical gloss paint finish. I’ve found my Ti really likes a wipedown in WD40 lube. It removes water spots and gives a nice, even appearance. And unlike a brushed finish, there’s no simple way to remove scuffs and scratches.
Old 10-19-21, 12:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by IGotId
Thanks for the reply!

After speaking with T-Lab's CS I agree with the R3 Omni recommendation.

I'm definitely not indifferent on cost & was all set on Litespeed until I came across this thread, the T-Labs I saw in this thread caught my eyes (I'm a big fan of design/esthetics).

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above in bold, I'm new to the bike world!
Ah, I think I get where you’re coming from now.

I’m glad you spoke directly to T-Lab. In my dealings with them, the were open, friendly, and super helpful…like beyond expectations helpful. It really colored my impression of the company as a small firm which really appreciates the people who ride their bikes.

Clarifying the comments you asked about, I was just referring to diverse appeal of an established, well-known brand compared to a young, upstart brand. You know, like how when something goes from being an undiscovered gem to being a mainstream darling, it’s not the same kind of cool anymore. That said, Litespeed’s chops in the Ti game are unassailable; I want to be clear about that. T-Lab are comparative nobodies, the underdogs, but I think doing some cool, innovative stuff.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-19-21, 05:22 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Old 10-19-21, 07:12 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of purple on a bike, but Man! That is one sexy bike!
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 10-19-21, 07:44 PM
IGotId

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I’m glad you spoke directly to T-Lab. In my dealings with them, the were open, friendly, and super helpful…like beyond expectations helpful. It really colored my impression of the company as a small firm which really appreciates the people who ride their bikes.

Clarifying the comments you asked about, I was just referring to diverse appeal of an established, well-known brand compared to a young, upstart brand. You know, like how when something goes from being an undiscovered gem to being a mainstream darling, it’s not the same kind of cool anymore. That said, Litespeed’s chops in the Ti game are unassailable; I want to be clear about that. T-Lab are comparative nobodies, the underdogs, but I think doing some cool, innovative stuff.
Old 10-21-21, 11:54 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Okay THAT is unique.
Old 10-22-21, 05:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts

Perhaps counterintuitively to what's typically offered by metal fab bike makers, TLAB's default and recommendation is a press fit bottom bracket. I assume this is what you have and it's been perfectly fine? I do wonder why they don't offer T47 instead of BSA though.

Old 10-22-21, 07:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Perhaps counterintuitively to what's typically offered by metal fab bike makers, TLAB's default and recommendation is a press fit bottom bracket. I assume this is what you have and it's been perfectly fine? I do wonder why they don't offer T47 instead of BSA though.
Yeah, I have BB386 with SRAM DUB on the T-Lab and it has been fine. I also have a BB86 pressfit (Campagnolo) on my steel Breezer Venturi for 8 years, and it has been fine as well.

I guess it’s more typical for metal fabricators to use threaded/BSA, is that what you mean by counterintuitively?” That may be true, but both the T-Lab and the Breezer are uncommonly excellent frames, showcasing design elements most metal frames either ignore or attempt to address in different ways. The Venturi, for example, is built with stiffness paramount, and in addition to an oversized (for steel) and shaped downtube, also uses short, oversized, asymmetric chainstays, both elements requiring BB width beyond BSA spec.

As I understand it, the problems with pressfit (creaking, bearing drag) are really specific to carbon fiber frames, where it’s quite difficult to meet the tolerances required for roundness and alignment due to the nature of common construction methods with the material. Machining metal does not present the same problems, so pressfit is not an issue there.

As for why T-Lab don’t offer T47, I can only guess that there is no benefit to doing so. They’re maxing out BB shell width, in relation to q-factor, with 386, allowing them to do the tube shaping and chainstay widths they want (for stiffness and tire clearance). T47 is an external bearing format, so in order to maintain the q-factor, they’d need to reduce bb shell width, losing real estate for shaped tubes and clearance spacing. I suppose they could engineer around that in some way perhaps, but at what costs and compromises to gain nothing? I’ve not spoken to T-Lab about it, so that’s just my take.
Old 10-22-21, 06:55 PM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

Just bought this today. Serotta Legend Ti complete bike for $1200. Came with new carbon clincher wheelset.
Likes For kwantani:
Old 10-23-21, 12:27 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
What is the reason for the handlebar rotation & brake lever placement?
I see similar handlebar rotation & brake level placement on other road bikes, too.. but never could figure out the reason.
Old 10-23-21, 06:44 PM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Previous owner setup which I'm puzzling too. I think could be the top tube a bit short for him. I'll try to revert it to normal standard placement. Bought it yesterday, test rode today, not comfortable with that handlebar position at all. For some reason the Serotta Legend Ti top tube tends to be short, any Serotta expert here can chime in the design geometry of the Legend Ti?

Originally Posted by cat0020
What is the reason for the handlebar rotation & brake lever placement?
I see similar handlebar rotation & brake level placement on other road bikes, too.. but never could figure out the reason.
Old 10-23-21, 07:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by kwantani
Previous owner setup which I'm puzzling too. I think could be the top tube a bit short for him. I'll try to revert it to normal standard placement. Bought it yesterday, test rode today, not comfortable with that handlebar position at all. For some reason the Serotta Legend Ti top tube tends to be short, any Serotta expert here can chime in the design geometry of the Legend Ti?
With all of the disparate, mismatched and anachronous bits, I’d guess that was just built up for the sale, and was not previously ridden like that. It’s a quite small frame size, but if it fits you, it should be a lot of fun when sorted. One of my friends has a Legend Ti, in a gorgeous blue paint, that is one of the most beautiful bikes I’ve ever seen!
Old 10-24-21, 07:19 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Kwantani, the Legend series frames had a "square" design, meaning the top tube equaled the seat tube on sizes 56 and up. I worked at a stocking Serotta dealer for a number of years and rarely had to go custom to get a longer top tube. Race frames, ie Italian frame design influence, typically have a longer top tube. Using a 57cm as reference the Serotta has a 57cm TT in the Legend series. A "race" frame may well have a 57.5 to 58 TT. The 57 Legend has a head angle of 73.
Back when I raced a Miyata Team frame the ST was 56 and the TT was 56. Fairly standard design back then. Again, if you have been riding a frame with a longish TT the Legend Ti might feel short, but it really isn't anything out of the norm.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-16-21, 02:56 PM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Just built this 2000s (unknown date) Serotta Legend completely off parts from another (failed) build. Probably wouldn't have gone with as much black but that's what I had on hand. Picked up the frame from TPC and luckily the prior owner had already shaved down the quill adapter stem to a normal height.

Full Ultegra build, random other bits picked up off eBay.

Sadly living in Minnesota means that winter is here but my few test rides (still not dialed in) up and down the street were absolutely glorious (coming from a mostly aluminum frame). Very excited for next year and spring riding.

Likes For clichty:
Old 11-16-21, 05:06 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty
Just built this 2000s (unknown date) Serotta Legend completely off parts from another (failed) build. Probably wouldn't have gone with as much black but that's what I had on hand. Picked up the frame from TPC and luckily the prior owner had already shaved down the quill adapter stem to a normal height.

Full Ultegra build, random other bits picked up off eBay.

Sadly living in Minnesota means that winter is here but my few test rides (still not dialed in) up and down the street were absolutely glorious (coming from a mostly aluminum frame). Very excited for next year and spring riding.

Great looking bike! I thought you Northerners were from sturdy stock. I don't see any snow on the ground so get out and ride it!
Old 11-16-21, 05:15 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

It's titanium, I've been riding mine in snow, salt, mud, sand since 2004. still the same magic carpet ride after 72k miles.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 11-16-21, 09:15 PM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Great looking bike! I thought you Northerners were from sturdy stock. I don't see any snow on the ground so get out and ride it!
Cold is ok but cold and dark at 5am is too much for me
Old 11-17-21, 10:56 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Glad I found this. Just ordered a Litespeed Ultimate Disc Gravel bike. Always wanted a Litespeed Ti bike. Will post pics when delivered.

Cheers!
Old 11-17-21, 12:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by cat0020
It's titanium, I've been riding mine in snow, salt, mud, sand since 2004. still the same magic carpet ride after 72k miles.
Cerbis? The logo looks like the MotoX brand, Acerbis…

Anywhoo, that TT looks like a baseball bat!
Old 11-17-21, 02:44 PM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
Glad I found this. Just ordered a Litespeed Ultimate Disc Gravel bike. Always wanted a Litespeed Ti bike. Will post pics when delivered.

Cheers!
Congratulations, The Ultimate disc looks fantastic. I hope it meets all your expectations, Litespeed has a fairly good rep in the bike industry. I too was looking at the Ultimate Disc, hoping to continue my brand loyalty so to speak. I have an 2001 Litespeed Ultimate in excellent condition, with a mix of Ultegra and Dura Ace. Now that I'm much older, I find the Geometry very classic and pretty aggressive not to mention I've actually shrunk in height go figure.. So, instead of droppin the coin on a Litespeed which I definitely wanted, I placed an order for a Lynskey R300 went with Ultegra Di2, HED wheels, and some Ti pieces stem and seat tube. Expected delivery 12/27/21 fingers crossed it happens. Litespeed charges Tax for out of staters, and shipping, plus they were 1000.00 more for the same basic build, I may regret it but I've heard so much good about Lynskey.
Hope it your Litespeed comes out perfect, can't imagine anything else.

Likes For texbazII:
Old 11-17-21, 03:02 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by texbazII
Congratulations, The Ultimate disc looks fantastic. I hope it meets all your expectations, Litespeed has a fairly good rep in the bike industry. I too was looking at the Ultimate Disc, hoping to continue my brand loyalty so to speak. I have an 2001 Litespeed Ultimate in excellent condition, with a mix of Ultegra and Dura Ace. Now that I'm much older, I find the Geometry very classic and pretty aggressive not to mention I've actually shrunk in height go figure.. So, instead of droppin the coin on a Litespeed which I definitely wanted, I placed an order for a Lynskey R300 went with Ultegra Di2, HED wheels, and some Ti pieces stem and seat tube. Expected delivery 12/27/21 fingers crossed it happens. Litespeed charges Tax for out of staters, and shipping, plus they were 1000.00 more for the same basic build, I may regret it but I've heard so much good about Lynskey.
Hope it your Litespeed comes out perfect, can't imagine anything else.

That's a 20-year old bike? It looks great and very 'modern.'

I spec'ed the Ultimate Gravel with Di2 GRX, Spinergy alloy wheels (it was lighter than the carbon model), top tube storage mount, and the T47 BB shell option. I looked at Lynskey but opted for Litespeed for a lighter frame and (IMHO) slightly better looks.

Please post pics and your thoughts when you get your Lynskey R300!
Likes For cj3209:
Old 11-20-21, 04:19 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Cerbis? The logo looks like the MotoX brand, Acerbis…

Anywhoo, that TT looks like a baseball bat!
Those are just ACERBIS stickers, sine original Litespeed decals were worn over many years ago..

Likes For cat0020:
Old 11-23-21, 02:06 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
You will love your Lynskey. fyi, you won't see any "David Litespeed" signatures on a Lynskey. lol
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 11-23-21, 03:22 PM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
You will love your Lynskey. fyi, you won't see any "David Litespeed" signatures on a Lynskey. lol
Thanks bikejrff, hope I do. I have high expectations, Like I mentioned I really wanted to purchase the Litespeed Ultimate disc road bike but the additional Tax, basic cost, and shipping kinda threw me for curve. I was going to have to spend about 1300 more for the Litespeed, and what I've read from comparison reviews "Litespeed v\s Lynskey" that litespeed was a better build aesthetically and they do look really nice. But, from my point of view now that I'm much older, spent 40 years as a mech working on some of the best U.S.made and U.S.assembled Aircraft and products, I just want something Made in the USA, hand crafted,extremely functional, durable,easy to maintain. If it's beautiful that's a plus.

In 2001 when I bought my Litespeed Ultimate, I was going back and forth over whether to purchase from a Vendor called Airborne I believe, or Litespeed.
In the end I choose Litespeed hand made USA. I just couldn't see giving money to china. I pictured some guy sitting in renovated missile silo welding up bikes being sent to USA and the chinese gov getting all the profit. Sure their people need work and I'm sure the Airborne bikes were all good they have very good craftsman But, in the end I want to support our country It's part of that "feel good" feeling ya get when riding.

Sorry for the rant, I have high expectations for this bike never had DI2, never had hyd brakes, I'm use to traditional skewer style dropouts for the wheels, so it should be real interesting. Never have I run tubeless but I think I just might set these wheels up for tubeless again going to be interesting, supposedly got another 6 weeks hopefully the supply chain bs won't hinder the delivery date.

Last edited by texbazII; 11-25-21 at 02:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.