Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 06-01-06, 04:58 PM
0-20 in 5 Sec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you.
Now, THAT'S dangerous.
Old 06-01-06, 05:20 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Remember when riding your bike was just fun?
Old 06-01-06, 05:53 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these fast and furious Detroit riders you ride with Masters riders or high-CAT riders? I find very few high CAT racers that feel it's necessary to post something like this - they are too busy training and riding. Usually it's racer wanna-bes or folks with big egos. Not the real 22 year old 135 pound solid racing junkie.
Old 06-01-06, 06:20 PM
john bono

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you.
Try that with me, and I'll definitely react in a way that will convince you not to deal with me again--after you get out of the hospital, that is.

BTW, I like your attitude--it reinforces just how warm, welcoming, and inviting bicyclists can be toward the general public.

(and my mom asks me why I go on long bike trips all by my lonesome )
Likes For john bono:
Old 06-01-06, 06:24 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 yard gap? 50 yard gap? at 30mph, anything over 1 bike length means you should start paying attention and perhaps go around the guy whos letting it open up. Once it hits 2 or 3 BL's get it closed..

If the head of the train slides over left or right to avoid rough pavement, how is it going to take down 5 guys, unless they are overlapping wheels, which is an no no.

Also, i don't think this rides is mandatory for anyone, if you don't want to go, you don't have to. If you do show up, you now know what to expect. This ride is obviously for those who are serious about performance, fitness and technique....basically "Bike Racers." If you are not ready, just admit it, don't take it personally.

Racing, as well as training for racing, is not for everyone, despite what the catalogs try to sell you. There are always rides which are not as competitive you know. And there is nothing wrong with finding joy in simply riding your bike.

This ride is for those at the top of their game, and for those at the higher levels of the sport. Being able to have some "hatred" for the other riders is necessary at times in order to push your self hard enough to get the win. Sweetness and politeness have no place on the battlefield, and Racing is a Battle, its a War of attrition...You wouldn't go to boot camp and expect smilling faces, and sweet flattering instructions would you?

Remember....Simply owning an expensive bicycle does not make one a bike racer. And admiring Lance Amstrong does not necessarily make one a cycling fan.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Smoothie104; 06-01-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 06:53 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
>>20 yard gap? 50 yard gap? at 30mph, anything over 1 bike length means you should start paying attention and perhaps go around the guy whos letting it open up. Once it hits 2 or 3 BL's get it closed<<

On paper. In reality it doesn't take much time before some dude just in front of you has allowed such a gap to open up - before you've noticed. It has happened to me plenty of times. And honestly, once it's over 50 feet and 30mph it's not always a closeable gap to be sure. But in those instances when I can't close it, I realize that the 30mph ride - while not 'over' my head that day - was probably sufficiently close to the edge of my envelope that maybe I deserved to get blown out - if not through sheer lack of strength then due to my own inattentiveness.

All part of Hammer University. I've been getting banged over the head by the faculty there since 1989 : ). The part of the original post that I found dopey was blaming this on some guy who's too slow to be on the ride. Wrong. It's YOUR job to watch for that like a hawk - and don't ALLOW that gap to form in the first place. Does anyone really think riders in these pacelines let this happen because they're lazy? That's not typically what I've observed. More like you need X horsepower to keep up and God gave you X-n horsepower, or that person may still be developing the power/experience to hang in the faster pacelines.

Oh yes, this 'don't ride with groups that are too fast for you' advice? Here's a newsflash: that's HOW we get faster, but riding with FASTER RIDERS. Which inevitably involves getting blown out the back door from time to time. So what? Ask any big time pro if they've ever gotten dropped. I think you'll find it's a typical bike racing experience for anyone learning the sport.
Old 06-01-06, 06:57 PM
JoMo

Bikes: Cannondale R-1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zieg Heil mein kleine Road Nazi : ).[/QUOTE]
Is there somthing wrong with me? I thought thit this was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-06, 07:07 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
>>20 yard gap? 50 yard gap? at 30mph, anything over 1 bike length means you should start paying attention and perhaps go around the guy whos letting it open up. Once it hits 2 or 3 BL's get it closed<<

On paper. In reality it doesn't take much time before some dude just in front of you has allowed such a gap to open up - before you've noticed. It has happened to me plenty of times. And honestly, once it's over 50 feet and 30mph it's not always a closeable gap to be sure. But in those instances when I can't close it, I realize that the 30mph ride - while not 'over' my head that day - was probably sufficiently close to the edge of my envelope that maybe I deserved to get blown out - if not through sheer lack of strength then due to my own inattentiveness.

All part of Hammer University. I've been getting banged over the head by the faculty there since 1989 : ). The part of the original post that I found dopey was blaming this on some guy who's too slow to be on the ride. Wrong. It's YOUR job to watch for that like a hawk - and don't ALLOW that gap to form in the first place. Does anyone really think riders in these pacelines let this happen because they're lazy? That's not typically what I've observed. More like you need X horsepower to keep up and God gave you X-n horsepower, or that person may still be developing the power/experience to hang in the faster pacelines.

Oh yes, this 'don't ride with groups that are too fast for you' advice? Here's a newsflash: that's HOW we get faster, but riding with FASTER RIDERS. Which inevitably involves getting blown out the back door from time to time. So what? Ask any big time pro if they've ever gotten dropped. I think you'll find it's a typical bike racing experience for anyone learning the sport.
Patentcad, not trying to pick a fight.

I think the OP's message was "don't ride in groups that are faster than you, unless you know what you are doing, if you need instruction, it comes hard and fast." He didn't say, "we will yell at you, and then kick your ass, and slash your tires if you ever come back." Nor did he say "don't come out if you not as fast as me", and I wasn't saying it either. Racing is not for the thin skinned, and it is not a coddly sport.

I didn't "quote" your post, becuase I was not trying to be personal in all of my response, most of it was just general to the other replies, with exception to the gap distance etc..

All of us "Bad-Asses" are familiar with being dropped, even Event Services. In fact I have been dropped every ride I've been on this year, AND, I am regarded locally as being one of the nicest ambassadors of the sport, especially to the new riders.....but I still understand exactly what Event Services is talking about.

But again, nothing personal.

Last edited by Smoothie104; 06-01-06 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 07:38 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't been on BF for a few days and poked my head in in hopes of finding a good thread like this one. The OP found a good way to be informative and slightly condescending at the same time.

Someone pass me the popcorn, this is a good show.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 06-01-06, 08:33 PM
BikerJoeP

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
20 yard gap? 50 yard gap? at 30mph, anything over 1 bike length means you should start paying attention and perhaps go around the guy whos letting it open up. Once it hits 2 or 3 BL's get it closed..

If the head of the train slides over left or right to avoid rough pavement, how is it going to take down 5 guys, unless they are overlapping wheels, which is an no no.

Also, i don't think this rides is mandatory for anyone, if you don't want to go, you don't have to. If you do show up, you now know what to expect. This ride is obviously for those who are serious about performance, fitness and technique....basically "Bike Racers." If you are not ready, just admit it, don't take it personally.

Racing, as well as training for racing, is not for everyone, despite what the catalogs try to sell you. There are always rides which are not as competitive you know. And there is nothing wrong with finding joy in simply riding your bike.

This ride is for those at the top of their game, and for those at the higher levels of the sport. Being able to have some "hatred" for the other riders is necessary at times in order to push your self hard enough to get the win. Sweetness and politeness have no place on the battlefield, and Racing is a Battle, its a War of attrition...You wouldn't go to boot camp and expect smilling faces, and sweet flattering instructions would you?

Remember....Simply owning an expensive bicycle does not make one a bike racer. And admiring Lance Amstrong does not necessarily make one a cycling f
Thanks for reading.
Give me a freakin break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-06, 08:34 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting and educational op....
Old 06-01-06, 08:37 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a newbie, and I live in the Detroit area as well. I am glad Event Services posted this.
Very informative and enlightening post, I actually learned that I need to be in a beginners group.
Old 06-01-06, 08:41 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13
I am a newbie, and I live in the Detroit area as well. I am glad Event Services posted this.
Very informative and enlightening post, I actually learned that I need to be in a beginners group.
Yeah, and just remember that you need to be Cat 3 or higher to ride in the paceline. Just show up one day and magically know how to do it or they'll yell at you.

DrPete
Old 06-01-06, 08:45 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, my training is progressing rapidly. I yelled at two squirrels today, and you better believe they hauled their furry backsides off the front double-time. Now if they only weren't so damn short, I could grab them by the scruff of the neck and give 'em a good shove (only when necessary).

I figure I'll be ready for The Show in 6 months, tops.
Likes For Namenda:
Old 06-01-06, 09:24 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Fella's whats the best way to communicate in a fast paced, potentially dangerous environment, full of distractions, and where it's hard to hear. Where mistakes made by those who are new may cause themselves or others to be hurt?

How about a sing-along, maybe a sit-in? I know... a drum circle...wait..... How about Expressing your concern through interpretive dance?

If you don't get it, maybe you're not ready. Please don't take it personally.

Last edited by Smoothie104; 06-01-06 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 09:24 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If you look at my history of posts on this board, you'll find that I'm very encouraging and open toward new riders. Even nurturing and fostering.
In this thread, I was just trying to demonstrate that there are times when the fast guys don't want to teach. There's a time and place for it. It's not in a rotating double echelon going 30pmh with sprints at 40mph. We'll be less than cordial with you at that pace, just as an 8x rowing crew, a 6-man hardcourt volleyball team, a semi-pro football team, or other athletic group would be less than civil in you hopped into the middle of their training session without the necessary skills. (Get your skills elsewhere, Dr. Pete. Not at our expense.) The difference being that we ride on public roads and can't carry a sign that says "closed practice".

The other thing I had hoped to demonstrate is that there is a LOT more to riding a paceline than meets the eye. It's a dangerous exercise that can go horribly wrong in a hurry. Anyone who denies that is hurtling toward an accident in the future.

Some of you latched onto the ego thing and the jersey grabbing thing. The fact is, there is little ego involved in this; we aren't out there trying to show anyone else up. We're just trying to go fast. Not teach. We'll do that on Wednesdays.
And the jersey grabbing thing only happened when there was a need to quickly remove an immediate threat who refused to leave when asked. And I've never condoned that course of action.
Old 06-01-06, 09:33 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look at my history of posts on this board, you'll find that I'm very encouraging and open toward new riders. Even nurturing and fostering.
In this thread, I was just trying to demonstrate that there are times when the fast guys don't want to teach. There's a time and place for it. It's not in a rotating double echelon going 30pmh with sprints at 40mph. We'll be less than cordial with you at that pace, just as an 8x rowing crew, a 6-man hardcourt volleyball team, a semi-pro football team, or other athletic group would be less than civil in you hopped into the middle of their training session without the necessary skills. (Get your skills elsewhere, Dr. Pete. Not at our expense.) The difference being that we ride on public roads and can't carry a sign that says "closed practice".

The other thing I had hoped to demonstrate is that there is a LOT more to riding a paceline than meets the eye. It's a dangerous exercise that can go horribly wrong in a hurry. Anyone who denies that is hurtling toward an accident in the future.

Some of you latched onto the ego thing and the jersey grabbing thing. The fact is, there is little ego involved in this; we aren't out there trying to show anyone else up. We're just trying to go fast. Not teach. We'll do that on Wednesdays.
And the jersey grabbing thing only happened when there was a need to quickly remove an immediate threat who refused to leave when asked. And I've never condoned that course of action.
Well as someone new to cycling i took your post at face value, and it just gave me encouragement to get my skill level up, I found nothing wrong with your post and hopefully in a years time I will be able to join one of your training sessions.(heck maybe more than one).
Old 06-01-06, 10:24 PM
RedFerret
Seńor Member

Bikes: 2004 Felt SC1, 1999 Kona Yee Ha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Octopus
The rules are pretty much the same, and the reaction for transgressions can be similar, although those of us in Ohio tend to think we comport ourselves with more decorum than you Michiganers....
You may have a point, Rochester is pretty close to Auburn Hills; where "The Malice at the Palace" took place a couple years ago. Hmm.. thinking back maybe Artest had that beer coming after someone's wheel was knocked out true because he failed to direct the pace line away from some bad concrete
Old 06-01-06, 10:55 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may not be there to teach, but if you're going to let "outsiders" into this ride you should accept that they may be there to learn. Most mature adults have pretty thick skins. I see no inherent problem with yelling at someone who does something boneheaded or unsafe. If it really is about safety then there's no need to treat it like a hazing ritual. If outsiders/noobs really aren't welcome on this particular ride there's no need to be passive aggressive about it. Just TELL THEM.
Old 06-02-06, 12:55 AM
mpearson76

Bikes: Klein q-pro carbon, Record, Ksyrium SSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have little to add to DrPete's excellent comments, but here goes. Let's face it, if no one is paying you to ride your bike, this is a hobby. By all means take it seriously and work hard, but this strikes me as making a mountain out of a molehill in order to feel better about yourself. If this were just about safety then yelling would be justified (and it frequently is), but physically removing someone from a paceline is certainly not the safest course of action. No, I think that yelling at newbs makes us feel like cycling is more than a hobby, and it makes us feel better for having disciplined the guy who would dare think that we are just a bunch of average guys out riding bicycles. By all means take it seriously, but that does not preclude making newbs feel welcomed to the sport and educating them so they don't have to get yelled at for not knowing something that they otherwise would have had no way of knowing. To me this is just courtesy and sympathy for the rider as a person, not just a body in a paceline. Treating someone who is trying to learn but lacks skill and knowledge (that you at one time also lacked) as if they are being intentionally reckless (most all yelling I see is for honest mistakes, but recklessness deserves an earfull) makes that rider a victim of your own power-trip. No egos means sometimes making sacrifices for people even when it is inconvenient, because that's how you hope others will treat you the next time you find yourself in his situation.
Old 06-02-06, 01:03 AM
cmcenroe
Reverend

Bikes: 2005 Trek 2100, Iro Angus Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly why I ride solo. Heck, I might even cross over to tri, who knows.
Old 06-02-06, 01:58 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by john bono
Try that with me, and I'll definitely react in a way that will convince you not to deal with me again--after you get out of the hospital, that is.
doubt it, because you'd be dropped and never see me again

Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er
If anyone ever did that to me then they better be ready to "get it on" because they'd catch a backfist to the grill in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Any person who did that to me would be on the receiving end of a Look cleat to the hip, just before being pushed off the road.
Guess you've never had it done to you? There's not much time to react, let alone 'backfist' or plant a cleat in a hip, when you're riding over 30 MPH one second, then slungshot backwards the next

Last edited by botto; 06-02-06 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 03:24 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I really can't wait to try out these tactics at the next Midnight Riddazz. Damn hipsters and young adults better know what's up or I'm gonna pull them off the route by the hood of their hoodies. Sh*t, if anyone even tries to slow down or accelerate, for any reason, I'm going to yell at them like their Mama finding out about a new tattoo.
And I'll know that they aren't worthy to ride with me because I'm gonna look down at their bikes, take note at the lack of carbon fiber and snicker after I yell that they shouldn't even bother riding with me.

Thanks, EventServices! Let me guess - do you drive an SUV?? Is it HUGE?!

...I understand that some of you here are training up to go racing in whatever Categories you want to achieve. Totally reasonable. Some of you drool when the TdF comes around and also keep up with the Giro d'Italia (sp?) and other races. It's just like football for me - World Cup time is my TdF and I train and play in leagues, trying to get better. But when I'm playing and someone wants to join in, I let them, even though I may eventually learn to delay passing the ball to them unless it's super safe. Sure, I get a bit frustrated by someone who isn't able to trap the ball behind their backs and flip it over their shoulder and pass it in two touches.... so I suppose I can empathize with the rants some of the (yes, elite AND elitist) racers have posted here. But really, man, you'll gather more bees with nectar than vinegar.

Shouldn't you all be talkin' shop in a forum for ROAD RACING!? Check the forum here: Road Cycling. Shouldn't this forum be for people who want to get into Road Cycling and not necessarily racing like they want to be the next Lance? The OP and other posts of similar nature really reinforce the notion that road cycling is for for hardcore athletes with a penchant for expensive parts, weight weenies who really want the kevlar credit card with holes drilled through it to minimize the weight they feel as they charge their accounts for that new stem which is a full 2 grams lighter than their old stem.

Event Services: a suggestion, please take it seriously. You and your Tuesday night buddies get matching jerseys. Don't worry, you'll only wear it 1 time a week, so you can wash it with the weekly laundry. NO ONE will try to join in your ride when they see everyone wearing the same jersey (and hammering in complete synch like Olympic Synchronized Swimming). People can only get a Jersey when they've been to enough Wednesday night rides and have proven themselves worthy. Oh, and that they can keep the timing of their cadence in complete synchronisity to house music at about 115 bpm. Totally testable.

Really.
Old 06-02-06, 04:37 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
Event Services: a suggestion, please take it seriously. You and your Tuesday night buddies get matching jerseys. Don't worry, you'll only wear it 1 time a week, so you can wash it with the weekly laundry. NO ONE will try to join in your ride when they see everyone wearing the same jersey (and hammering in complete synch like Olympic Synchronized Swimming). People can only get a Jersey when they've been to enough Wednesday night rides and have proven themselves worthy. Oh, and that they can keep the timing of their cadence in complete synchronisity to house music at about 115 bpm.

+1.... I agree that matching jerseys would be best for your Tues. rides..... It would much more intimidating if you all were dressed like a team and people would be less likely to jump on board...... You could also tell people that you are training for a team event and that they should politely leave.
Old 06-02-06, 05:12 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'll take you under my wing on Wednesday night when we're not going 30mph and when you're not an immediate threat to the well-being of 20 riders.

We'll yell because we don't have time to explain the intricacies and nuance of a paceline at that speed.

Elitist? OK, I'll go with that since we've worked hard to get to the elite level, and we want to train not teach on Tuesdays.

And seriously, it has nothing to do with ego. It has everything to do with training at the highest level possible. Don't confuse the two.
I like you and I enjoy your posts...

But I have to ask...Elite? What category do you race?

A suggestion is to mention to people you do not know that this is a "private party"...training ride, whatever...but, more clubs and race teams would do better if they had a ride to "initiate" riders into the mystical ways of riding in a paceline.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 06-02-06 at 07:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.