Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 06-02-06, 01:10 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The amount of time some of you weenies spend wringing your hands over this crap is staggering. And again, nothing personal.

But for crissake already just shut up and ride.

Yes, it's old and tired reading this hooey, but it IS entertaining.
Congratulations!! It only took you umpteen posts (in the same thread), compared to the usual umpteen +1 for you to finally answer your own question.

Who needs to "shut up and ride" when we have BF?
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 06-02-06, 01:19 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by celticfrost
Congratulations!! It only took you umpteen posts (in the same thread), compared to the usual umpteen +1 for you to finally answer your own question.

Who needs to "shut up and ride" when we have BF?
On the other hand if shutting up and riding was so interesting none of us would be here, would we?
Old 06-02-06, 01:21 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
On the other hand if shutting up and riding was so interesting none of us would be here, would we?
Yep, and it hurts sometimes too --- that's the excuse I'm going with today!
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 06-02-06, 02:31 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The amount of time some of you weenies spend wringing your hands over this crap is staggering. And again, nothing personal.
My fav so far.

A close second:
Originally Posted by Cypress
I like it when someone tells me that I'm messing things up. It's kinda like when your fly is open or you've got a Stallone hanging out of your nose and no one tells you, then you've gone through the whole day with the barn door open or a third arm growing from a nostril.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 06-02-06, 02:36 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Event's posts have helped me a lot over the last year.
I get his post, and anyone who needs to work on pack riding skills should practice elsewhere.
The local fast group ride here gives everyone 5 minutes to feel warm and fuzzy about how quick they are. Then the first hill hits and serves as a natural pack bomb. The fast movers are gone and shelling is over.
Old 06-02-06, 02:39 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Even when I'm in a 30mph paceline I'm riding solo. You don't really think I want to hear that racer weenie bull**** do you? Please. I'm trying to remember when verbal communication really had any place or meaningful function in those situations, but generally it's just idiots yelling 'CAR UP' (the ones I can see) and 'CAR BACK!!' (the ones I can hear right through my headphones by the way) at the top of their lungs. Other than riding SMOOTH, not making sudden motions and pointing out road hazards with your arms (NOT with your mouth by screaming HOLE!!!!), there is really no reason for any of that. What do I know after doing this for umpteen miles? Now I'll get **** for even saying that.

Yes, it's old and tired reading this hooey, but it IS entertaining.
I don't want to ride in a 30 mph paceline with a rider wearing headphones.

Just my personal, self-preservation feeling. YMMV.
Old 06-02-06, 02:42 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daytonian
The local fast group ride here gives everyone 5 minutes to feel warm and fuzzy about how quick they are. Then the first hill hits and serves as a natural pack bomb. The fast movers are gone and shelling is over.
+1
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 06-02-06, 06:07 PM
ezoons
Il cucchiaio

Bikes: Velosolex St. Pierre (RIP in peace), Giant OCR2 (sold), ADK Bottecchia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Kiwis, and other who also didn't speak a word of english
Hold still, I'm about to get offended
Old 06-02-06, 06:12 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Car up, Car back. That uhh tells me all I really needed to know about your "pacelines". Now I understand why you dont understand.
Sounds like the "fast group" is full of freds.. I wonder if they have those behind the back signals for RR tracks, and yell "clear" at the intersections etc...

We finally got the "clear" nullifed down here, and let guys know that you are responsible for your own ass when crossing an intersection, We don't want someone to here "clear" and get killed becuse the yeller didn't see something.
Old 06-02-06, 06:54 PM
BikerJoeP

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
There's a way to interact with other people that doesn't make you and your sport look bad. Why is it that anyone who calls out the snobbery of the sport is all of a sudden labeled a fred?

I've ridden in fast pacelines, and I've seen people get dropped, and have been dropped myself. Even covered my share of gaps. Does the fact that I've actually uttered words of encouragement in a paceline and talked someone through how to ride in one make me a fred?

That's right--if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. And when you wonder why people call you a snob or an elitist you can just go home and hang out with your racer buddies and revel in the coolness of your rotating double paceline that takes pride in being too cool for newcomers.

Because really--if it were all about training "at the highest level possible," wouldn't you want to practice sprinting to cover breaks, reacting to obstacles, etc.?

Understand that it's not your riding or the rules of the paceline that I have any problem with--it's your superiority complex and your oh-so-condescending OP, because quite honestly, I don't want your attitude in any way to reflect on me as a cyclist or racer.

DrPete

WELL STATED!!!!!
Old 06-02-06, 06:58 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er
Well, I never said I could hang with a 30mph pace line and I've never had my jersey pulled! If you ever make your way here to the U.S., be sure to stop by Boston. We can go out for a ride together and you can be the very pull my jersey. God help me it would be the last time you'd pull that bull***** on anyone. It would get real ghetto in the suburbs
did you read my ****ing post? did i ever type that i ever pulled someones jersey? the ANSWER is NO. i shared what the experience is like, so PUH-lease spare me with the psuedo macho BS.

you want to get it on in a paceline? i'll be back in 2 months time, so come on down to hamden, ct on tuesday nights at sleeping giant. i'll be the guy on the giant, or maybe the old school pinarello who's riding around 30+ MPH
Old 06-02-06, 07:20 PM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after 3 apple martinis while reading thread i've desided that i wouldnt want to ride with any of you F'ers.

car up, car back, clear, grab a jersey, cleat to the face, yell, punch, grab, paceline, solo, bowling? ...

too much.
Old 06-02-06, 07:35 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is cracking me up... I can't believe it's still going strong! Everyone gets soooo offended in online boards like this... I guess sarcasm and emotion doesn't come over well when typing... other than these little thingys

Dude... just get some matching jersey's and get it over with! Whenever I see guys wearing matching jersey's I stay far away... I think others would do the same. Most people can tell the difference between a pseudo team doing training and a road bike club ride.
Old 06-02-06, 08:00 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Kiwis, and other who also didn't speak a word of english

Originally Posted by ezoons
Hold still, I'm about to get offended
Thought I'de slipped that one by everybody.
Old 06-02-06, 08:03 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Sounds like the "fast group" is full of freds.. I wonder if they have those behind the back signals for RR tracks, and yell "clear" at the intersections etc...

We finally got the "clear" nullifed down here, and let guys know that you are responsible for your own ass when crossing an intersection, We don't want someone to here "clear" and get killed becuse the yeller didn't see something.
"Braaaaking!!!" I really dont miss that. As if I couldn't tell you were slowing down.
Old 06-02-06, 08:15 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
did you read my ****ing post? did i ever type that i ever pulled someones jersey? the ANSWER is NO. i shared what the experience is like, so PUH-lease spare me with the psuedo macho BS.

you want to get it on in a paceline? i'll be back in 2 months time, so come on down to hamden, ct on tuesday nights at sleeping giant. i'll be the guy on the giant, or maybe the old school pinarello who's riding around 30+ MPH
Did say you pulled someone’s jersey..NO!. What it sounded like is you endorsing that type of behavior, like its ok. Your post was purposely in direct contrast to mine and the others retaliation to jersey pulling because you wanted to spark this argument. You can call it mancho BS if you want, but I've had plenty of brawls in my youth here in the Bean so I know how to get down. If you have nothing constructive to say then keep your e~mouth shut. I could give a rats arse about a 30+ mph paceline.
Old 06-02-06, 08:49 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

>>Sounds like the "fast group" is full of freds.. <<

Uh huh. I'll relay this to the boys who were on that ride three weeks back when the guy driving the train was the man who finished THIRD in the NY State RR the following week in the Pro 1-2. I can assure you the ride was reasonably de-fredded by the time yours truly was shown the rear exit @ mile 42 or so. Long after plenty of 'active' racing dudes had been ejected of course. This is how I'm spending my 'retirement' from USCF racing. It's really fairly similar, but with lower entry fees : ).

But I do appreciate all the sage racing advice. That should keep me out of trouble. Oh wait, I haven't HAD any incidents in nearly two decades of this road nazi crap. Never mind.

Sigh. The attitudes don't ever change, do they? Everybody thinks they know better, including me. The funny part is that @ 30mph when the oxygen masks are down, nobody really gives a ****, do they?
Old 06-02-06, 10:11 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
^ Off topic, but I don't think anyone is gonna care. By the NYS RR, do you mean the Bear Mountain Spring Classic? If so, my teammate was the one that won 3rd cat. Went on a solo break for 60 miles and beat the next fastest guy by 3 minutes. He's just upgraded to Cat2 now.
Old 06-03-06, 03:58 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er
Did say you pulled someone’s jersey..NO!. What it sounded like is you endorsing that type of behavior, like its ok. Your post was purposely in direct contrast to mine and the others retaliation to jersey pulling because you wanted to spark this argument. You can call it mancho BS if you want, but I've had plenty of brawls in my youth here in the Bean so I know how to get down. If you have nothing constructive to say then keep your e~mouth shut. I could give a rats arse about a 30+ mph paceline.
Old 06-03-06, 07:58 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"sloooowing"
Old 06-03-06, 08:02 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>Sounds like the "fast group" is full of freds.. <<

Uh huh. I'll relay this to the boys who were on that ride three weeks back when the guy driving the train was the man who finished THIRD in the NY State RR the following week in the Pro 1-2. I can assure you the ride was reasonably de-fredded by the time yours truly was shown the rear exit @ mile 42 or so. Long after plenty of 'active' racing dudes had been ejected of course. This is how I'm spending my 'retirement' from USCF racing. It's really fairly similar, but with lower entry fees : ).

But I do appreciate all the sage racing advice. That should keep me out of trouble. Oh wait, I haven't HAD any incidents in nearly two decades of this road nazi crap. Never mind.

Sigh. The attitudes don't ever change, do they? Everybody thinks they know better, including me. The funny part is that @ 30mph when the oxygen masks are down, nobody really gives a ****, do they?

Trust me, that guy hates all the "car up, car back" BS as well
Old 06-03-06, 09:17 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Trust me, that guy hates all the "car up, car back" BS as well
You're right in the observation that 'car up!' 'car back!' is a Fred phenomena for the most part. I started riding competitively in the Bergen/Rockland/NY city area where there is ALWAYS a car behind you or in front of you - so nobody there generally calls them out, Freds included. I'm in a more rural area now where the Freds are forever screaming this stuff - and it really cracks me up. They'd all go insane in a more urban/suburban area- and/or they'd get over this pointless practice.
Old 06-03-06, 09:55 AM
LA_Rider

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...a Fred phenomena for the most part.
lol

The first group ride I ever did was like that. People calling out stuff every 15 to 20 seconds. It wasn’t a 6” apart paceline or anything, so you have plenty of time to watch the road yourself. It did get annoying after a while.

As long as people know what they're doing ahead of me, I’m fine with the basic hand signals; pothole, stopping, etc.
Old 07-04-06, 09:02 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

I had to yell at a guy today.
Old 01-08-07, 08:57 AM
Jonathan Drake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.