Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Old 08-14-09, 12:55 AM
lord1e

Bikes: Custom Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey im in the market for a cheap single/fixed but dont know anything about road bikes and need some help ,good deal?? https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/1318972942.html
Old 08-14-09, 06:41 PM
genesis5521

Location: I live in the Nicolet National Forest in Northern Wisconsin. Thousands of miles of trails to ride.

Bikes: 1999 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question from a Newbie

I'm 64 years old. I've had a pretty nice Gary Fisher Mountain bike (Hoo Koo E Koo) for over 10 years. I really like it. Most years I just played around on the fire roads with it. This year I started riding it on the road (cause the deer flies were eating me alive on the trails). I just put 80 PSI mountain bike slicks on it.
Three weeks ago I started out with 10 mile road rides (averaging 13 MPH) and thought I was doing pretty good. So I went to 20 mile rides (still averaging 13 MPH). Now I'm up to 40 mile road rides every other day (still at 13 MPH average). I just can seem to get past that 13 MPH average. I go for 20 miles straight (no stops). Then I take a half hour (3 cigarette) break, and do the next 20 miles none stop. 40 miles takes me just over 3 hours, and I'm hump'n (and I mean hump'n) the whole time at the fastest rate I can sustain (13 MPH average). My body still isn't use to this "abuse". This is all on flat level roads. No hills. No ups or downs. I'm 64 years old, 5'10, 200 pounds, 38 waist. One chart I found said that I'm burning 885 calories an hour. That's 2655 calories burned over 3 hours. That's gotta be a good thing ~ right. I'd like to do a century 100 mile ride, but I think my average MPH would drop to about 12 MPH over 100 miles. I was checking out some road bikes. One store told me that if I'm averaging 13 MPH with a mountain bike, I should be able to average 16 to 18 MPH with a road bike. I just don't think that's possible given my age and level of physical condition. On a physical condition scale from 1 (lowest) to 10 I'd rate myself a 6 (maybe just slightly above average for my age) only because I do 40 mile, 3 hour, sustained work-outs. And much of that is just by sheer determination, and not because I'm in such great shape. If I'm averaging 13 MPH on my mountain bike on a 40 mile (3 hour) workout, what's a realistic average MPH if I got a road bike. Lets be realistic. Given the same level of effort, I don't think it would go up at all. What do you guys think.

Don <><
PS: Hey I just noticed that I'm a Junior Member now. I joined this forum just 2 weeks ago as a "Newbie". Thanks for the "promotion".

Last edited by genesis5521; 08-14-09 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 07:40 PM
genesis5521

Location: I live in the Nicolet National Forest in Northern Wisconsin. Thousands of miles of trails to ride.

Bikes: 1999 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey peddlinski

The Defy 3 is a nice bike. My local dealer has a 2008 model for $594. It was rated as a "Buyers Guide Thumbs Up" for 2009 here: https://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...2137-0,00.html

To me, all of these entry level bikes in this price range seem about the same. Everybody talks about "components". I for one, am not a sophisticated enough rider to notice the difference. It doesn't matter that much which entry level bike you get. Find a good shop where they treat you really well, buy a bike, then ride the heck out of it. (Wave to me as you pass me by!)

Last edited by genesis5521; 08-14-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 07:14 PM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Bikes: Rolling on dubz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genesis5521
I'm 64 years old. I've had a pretty nice Gary Fisher Mountain bike (Hoo Koo E Koo) for over 10 years. I really like it. Most years I just played around on the fire roads with it. This year I started riding it on the road (cause the deer flies were eating me alive on the trails). I just put 80 PSI mountain bike slicks on it.
Three weeks ago I started out with 10 mile road rides (averaging 13 MPH) and thought I was doing pretty good. So I went to 20 mile rides (still averaging 13 MPH). Now I'm up to 40 mile road rides every other day (still at 13 MPH average). I just can seem to get past that 13 MPH average. I go for 20 miles straight (no stops). Then I take a half hour (3 cigarette) break, and do the next 20 miles none stop. 40 miles takes me just over 3 hours, and I'm hump'n (and I mean hump'n) the whole time at the fastest rate I can sustain (13 MPH average). My body still isn't use to this "abuse". This is all on flat level roads. No hills. No ups or downs. I'm 64 years old, 5'10, 200 pounds, 38 waist. One chart I found said that I'm burning 885 calories an hour. That's 2655 calories burned over 3 hours. That's gotta be a good thing ~ right. I'd like to do a century 100 mile ride, but I think my average MPH would drop to about 12 MPH over 100 miles. I was checking out some road bikes. One store told me that if I'm averaging 13 MPH with a mountain bike, I should be able to average 16 to 18 MPH with a road bike. I just don't think that's possible given my age and level of physical condition. On a physical condition scale from 1 (lowest) to 10 I'd rate myself a 6 (maybe just slightly above average for my age) only because I do 40 mile, 3 hour, sustained work-outs. And much of that is just by sheer determination, and not because I'm in such great shape. If I'm averaging 13 MPH on my mountain bike on a 40 mile (3 hour) workout, what's a realistic average MPH if I got a road bike. Lets be realistic. Given the same level of effort, I don't think it would go up at all. What do you guys think.

Don <><
PS: Hey I just noticed that I'm a Junior Member now. I joined this forum just 2 weeks ago as a "Newbie". Thanks for the "promotion".
Gotta give you an A for effort. I use to ride a Walmart Schwinn S30 and it was 32lb. I averaged around 12MPH for an hour at most. When I got an 22lb aluminum roadie, I was biking 16MPH because road bikes make you try harder to catch up with other roadies and going faster was sooo cool. When I finally switched to my latest bike with good gear switching, I can do a consistent 20MPH because I learned to bike at a much higher cadence. I'm 5'8 and 185lb with a 34 waist and 22 y/o. If I had nerves of steel, I can probably do 23MPH for an hour. I can dance past some of my lighter friends on flat land but get left in the dust on hills. I think you should be able to do 16-18 with a good bike.
Old 08-17-09, 07:48 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4074 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by genesis5521

Don <><
I gained about 3 MPH, from ~16 to ~19, going from MTB to road. Gains at lower speeds would be less, so probably 2 MPH is realistic.
Old 08-21-09, 08:57 AM
weavers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Question. why arn't there deep dish aluminum wheels? the deepest i have seen is soul 4.0. 41mm. the only thing above 50mm is carbon. what is the reason for this? is it the extra weight or is aluminum just not as strong in a deep rim wheel.
Old 08-24-09, 09:52 PM
mononokifool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i have just recently started to ride a bike again ever since I got my License to drive, I bought an older schwinn world road bike just to see how I like it. So far I have been enjoying it, I go out for 8-10 mile rides at a time about 4 times a week. I would really like to get better at riding and maybe in a month or so get an entry level road bike. What would you recommend to a person just starting out to do as far as training and purchases?
Old 08-24-09, 09:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by mononokifool
So i have just recently started to ride a bike again ever since I got my License to drive, I bought an older schwinn world road bike just to see how I like it. So far I have been enjoying it, I go out for 8-10 mile rides at a time about 4 times a week. I would really like to get better at riding and maybe in a month or so get an entry level road bike. What would you recommend to a person just starting out to do as far as training and purchases?
Ride the schwwin 1,000 miles before you try something else.
Your legs should be in better shape by then.

Old 08-24-09, 10:26 PM
d00t

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 of some sort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought my first road bike a week ago! It's a early 90's Cannondale 3.0. I don't know the exact model as the frame was repainted (in the Black/White/Blue of the Centerium). I have a feeling it's a R400 or Centerium as it has the RX100 component set, but it's 14 speed so I dunno!

I've already got the "mod bug" so to speak. I'm looking to lighten it some more.. already pretty light. Plus I like to upgrade stuff! A friend gave me his old Shimano 600 component set when he upgraded to Dura Ace. Including the 8 speed rear sprocket (sorry don't know real term ). I'm getting the bottom bracket changed out tomorrow to accept the 600 cranks because the stock RX100 crank sheered off on my first ride.

Anyways.. I'm looking to upgrade the seat post and fork/headset. But don't know what kind of fork to get.. I'm SUPER noob to biking at this "level" (even if it's super noob ).

Thanks!

Aaron
Old 09-13-09, 02:33 AM
Caad 8
Cat-5-O-Meter: Training

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am 19 years old and I live in California, my father was an avid road cyclist, toured France, Portugal, Austria and Germany, Belgium etc in the 70's. Raced in the "Rund am den Bodensee". He rode a 70's motobecane 9spd. I eventually used that bike to start road cycling. The shifters were on the down tube, so I wanted something more modern.

A couple years ago I got my own bike, Cannondale Caad 8, 9 spd, 60 cm for $800. Everything ultegra except for the brakes. I upgraded those to ultegra sl a little while ago. I thought I was the next lance and within 6 months put 1,000 miles on it. I joined a team "Team Velosport". Really loved cycling.

Unfortunately I got quadriceps-tendinitis in my knee that wouldn't go away. We thought one cause might be my lbs fitted my seat too high and I was hyper extending my knee. Took a year off from cycling but continued to have knee problems. I had PRP done (Platelet Rich Plasma) and now my knee is healing. Slowly getting it back into shape.

Hopefully once my knee is completely healed I want to race in a collegiate cycling team.

Last edited by Caad 8; 09-13-09 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 02:24 PM
becca513
becca513

Bikes: specialized rock hopper, georgena terry symmetry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please read my new thread (Help me decide what bike to buy) and give me any advice if you can! Thanks!
Old 09-28-09, 06:02 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
hey tom, can you clean up your original post? quite a few of the links are 404-ing.
thanks.
Old 10-10-09, 08:20 AM
RowOrBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to buy a 2008 Felt-85, used preferably. The only problem is I can't find them anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know where I can go to find a 2008? Or is it just luck at my LBS?
Old 10-10-09, 08:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by RowOrBike
I want to buy a 2008 Felt-85, used preferably. The only problem is I can't find them anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know where I can go to find a 2008? Or is it just luck at my LBS?
https://www.usfreeads.com/1478912-cls.html

Old 10-10-09, 08:26 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by RowOrBike
https://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Felt-F85-F-...:B:SRCH:US:101

Old 10-12-09, 09:26 AM
smith29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for a bike suggestion, so I just posted here.

I have been cycling for a good amount of time on my dads old bike, but am looking to upgrade. I have roughly $ 1100 +/- , but do not know cycling brands very well.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Old 10-12-09, 09:40 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smith29
I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for a bike suggestion, so I just posted here.

I have been cycling for a good amount of time on my dads old bike, but am looking to upgrade. I have roughly $ 1100 +/- , but do not know cycling brands very well.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Your local bike shops would be a good start. Brands are all pretty much the same...find the bike you like that fits you and your budget the best.
Old 10-16-09, 10:38 AM
Sgt C USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some Newbie questions

Morning all, I recently picked up a 2005 Scattante CFR Team off of CL. Full Ultegra grouping (6600) including the triple crankset (for less than $600!!) , but some really crappy control surfaces (saddle, wheels, pedals, stem, handlebar) all made by some company called Supergo (Okay the saddle was made by Selle, but man that thing was uncomfortable. I swapped it out for a Specialized Alias.) I don't know much about them , except that they're heavy, uncomfortable, and I keep thinking I'm going to taco the wheel at any moment (which is not a reassuring feeling when you're flying down the mountains of Julian)

Now, here's the thing . I want to upgrade, but not so much that the frame becomes the weakpoint in the chain. (I've already got a Kestrel SL 900 /SRAM red (maybe Campy if the performance increases and weight decreases outweigh the cost increase) setup I'm building up, and that'll get high class CF wheels and a full CF headset and pedals.) so I don't need to really strip weight , I just want something that will ride smoothly, and get me good bang for my buck so I can ride with my wife. The Kestrel will be for races and group rides.

So here's what I'm considering - and I don't know enough about the alternatives to get outside of the mainstream manufacturers

Headset: Easton EC90 TKO round handlebars with Easton EC90 stem (total package less than $150 online!!)
Pedals: Time RXS
Seat Post: Easton EC70 CNT
And I MIGHT change the forks out for a set of Easton EC90s.
Wheels: (Here's the dilemma) Mavic Krysium Equipes, Fulcrum racings 5s, or Easton EA70 Sls. All of these can be had for around $500 and change. (I also have pro I know who's willing to part with a pair of EA90 Aeros for 500 with a dura-ace cassette that he used for training last season, but I'm not so sure about buying second hand wheels)

So what do you think ? What would you recommend ? Also , does anyone know what the 2005 CFR BB is ? I would think it's Shimano , but without removing the crankset, I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 10-16-09, 11:23 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt C USMC
So here's what I'm considering - and I don't know enough about the alternatives to get outside of the mainstream manufacturers

Headset: Easton EC90 TKO round handlebars with Easton EC90 stem (total package less than $150 online!!)
fine....

Pedals: Time RXS
fine.....look at Keo's and Shimano SPD' L as well

Seat Post: Easton EC70 CNT
ok, I much prefer the Thomson Elite though

And I MIGHT change the forks out for a set of Easton EC90s.
why?

Wheels: (Here's the dilemma) Mavic Krysium Equipes, Fulcrum racings 5s, or Easton EA70 Sls. All of these can be had for around $500 and change. (I also have pro I know who's willing to part with a pair of EA90 Aeros for 500 with a dura-ace cassette that he used for training last season, but I'm not so sure about buying second hand wheels)
Second hand wheels are fine as long as you get a reputable wheel builder to check them out to make sure spoke tension is ok and they are straight. Any of the wheels you mentioned are a good solid choice.

So what do you think ? What would you recommend ? Also , does anyone know what the 2005 CFR BB is ? I would think it's Shimano , but without removing the crankset, I wouldn't know for sure.
BB will be a english threaded bb. As to the brand Performance used in the CFR is anyones guess. Replacement BB's are cheap though
Old 10-28-09, 08:45 PM
PatCodd

Bikes: BMC GranFondo GF02, KHS Flite 720

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi I am new to biking, I recently bought a Shwinn Le Tour GSX and am interested in getting shoes/pedals. I don't really have a ton of money to spend and would like a setup that will allow for some adjustment in order to help with my comfort on the bike. Any suggestions for a good entry level setup? Thanks
Old 10-28-09, 10:03 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Where did you buy the Schwinn? What is currently wrong with it and have you gotten a proper fit on the bike?
Old 10-29-09, 08:32 AM
PatCodd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the bike at a reputable shop and it was sized correctly for me. However I moved about 6 to 7 hours away from that shop within 2 weeks of buying the bike. I have very wide size 12 feet and riding with sneakers isn't doing me any favors as my shoes bump when I ride.
Old 10-29-09, 09:20 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PatCodd welcome

I would suggest shimano 105 level pedals and shoes. They are not the cheapest out there but these are practically bomb proof and will last for years. Th shoes should be relatively good value too. Make sure you try the shoes on. The pedals can be found online or ebay.

good luck.
Old 10-29-09, 09:36 AM
PatCodd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rollin,
Thanks for the info. What would be a good set of shoes to use with these pedals? I don't see 105 shoes. The pedals look to be a good price fit for me.
Old 10-29-09, 09:41 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PatCodd
Rollin,
Thanks for the info. What would be a good set of shoes to use with these pedals? I don't see 105 shoes. The pedals look to be a good price fit for me.
Any ROAD shoe will work fine with these pedals. I am a fan of Specialized branded shoes personally. You really need to find a local shop to work with in order to find the proper size shoe and to be sure the cleats are installed properly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.