Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Old 10-29-09, 09:43 AM
PatCodd

Bikes: BMC GranFondo GF02, KHS Flite 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garysol,
Thanks for the info. I will head out to the store today then.
Old 10-29-09, 09:47 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
keep in mind that proper cleat placement is an important part of you overall bike fit....
Old 10-29-09, 04:56 PM
PatCodd

Bikes: BMC GranFondo GF02, KHS Flite 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-31-09, 02:34 PM
Strangebrew

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested in getting a road bike for commuting. I'm currently using my mountain bike and this will be my first road bike.

Unfortunately I only have about 250 to spend on it so I have been looking for used bikes on craigslist.

I am interested in the univega this guy has for sale and was wondering if anyone could let me know if its a decent deal?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1445624990.html
Old 10-31-09, 02:41 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by Strangebrew

I am interested in the univega this guy has for sale and was wondering if anyone could let me know if its a decent deal?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1445624990.html
If the bike rides and shifts well and most importantly FITS YOU then yes, the price seems ok. I am guessing that either of those bikes would fit someone around 6ft plus or minus an inch or two best.
Old 10-31-09, 02:46 PM
Strangebrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, well I am about 5'11, maybe i'll check it out but its probably too big. Thanks for the quick response
Old 10-31-09, 03:22 PM
garysol1 

at 5'11 I would for sure take a look. I bet you will fit just fine on them.
Old 10-31-09, 08:24 PM
Strangebrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up getting this bike, I might have overpaid at $250 but I'm happy with it and it fits me great.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1444541540.html
Old 11-02-09, 09:02 PM
Jkirkland

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Caad 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking to buy my first road bike and I bought a 2009 Cannondale Caad 9 from a local bike shop. The owner helped me when picking it out. I was looking for a decent bike for just recreational riding. I mainly wanted a bike to go on rides daily and do some commuting to the local stores. I am 6' 250lbs. The owner said that my weight would not be a problem but a neighbor who happens to ride said it would be for my bike. So I was wondering if I got a good or bad deal on the bike. I was also wondering about the clipless pedals i bought to go with the bike. I have a pair of the hard soled road shoes but I don't like the idea of duck walking anytime i go to a store or rest stop. Would i be alright with a set of MTB shoes and pedals or what do you recommend. I am on a tight budget after getting the bike and getting it set up for me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-09, 09:14 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by Jkirkland
I was looking to buy my first road bike and I bought a 2009 Cannondale Caad 9 from a local bike shop. The owner helped me when picking it out. I was looking for a decent bike for just recreational riding. I mainly wanted a bike to go on rides daily and do some commuting to the local stores. I am 6' 250lbs. The owner said that my weight would not be a problem but a neighbor who happens to ride said it would be for my bike. So I was wondering if I got a good or bad deal on the bike. I was also wondering about the clipless pedals i bought to go with the bike. I have a pair of the hard soled road shoes but I don't like the idea of duck walking anytime i go to a store or rest stop. Would i be alright with a set of MTB shoes and pedals or what do you recommend. I am on a tight budget after getting the bike and getting it set up for me. Thanks.

CAAD 9 should be just fine at your weight. Ride lots and lose weight and then you will have no worries.
As for the shoes yes, you can do a mountain shoe / pedal combo to make walking easier. My advice though is to just get used to the road cleats. Depending on the cleat brand you can find "cafe" covers which are rubber covers that snap over the cleat. Makes walking easier and will get rid of the click click sound...
Old 11-02-09, 09:26 PM
Jkirkland

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Caad 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have another question while I am thinking about it. I have to lean the bike to the side to swing my leg over. I have to lean it a good deal to swing my leg over. Its a 56cm frame. When I straddle the frame it comes flush to my crotch. Is that normal? It fits fine when I ride and have no trouble with it. I guess I am still a little nervous about not getting the right size, type, etc.
Old 11-03-09, 11:38 AM
I hate bicycles
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of these worth it?
Been up for awhile, could probably offer less.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/1447884919.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/1443554044.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1448634548.html
Old 11-09-09, 11:36 AM
j0m0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, great forum here, thanks in advance for the answers.

I've been riding an exercise bike for a while and in the market to get a road bike to take on daily exercise rides. My lbs was high on the giant rapid 3 at 550, which is right around my budget. There are several other stores I plan to visit, but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a road bike that will be used mainly for daily exercise? I'm about 5"10 205, and will spend up to $1000 (cheaper the better obv).

Also, what accessories are a must for a beginning cyclist? Will I be ok in sneakers/athletic shorts/tight tshirt, or do I absolutely need biking shorts, etc.? I have a trail right behind my house so I can depart/return to my back door.
Old 11-10-09, 01:03 AM
steamwhipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/1459129295.html
are any of those bikes worth it for a beginning cyclist? I'm approximately 5"8
Old 11-10-09, 08:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
That should work. However, you really have to check it out in person to see if it fits you.
Old 11-10-09, 08:10 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by j0m0
Hi, great forum here, thanks in advance for the answers.

I've been riding an exercise bike for a while and in the market to get a road bike to take on daily exercise rides. My lbs was high on the giant rapid 3 at 550, which is right around my budget. There are several other stores I plan to visit, but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a road bike that will be used mainly for daily exercise? I'm about 5"10 205, and will spend up to $1000 (cheaper the better obv).

Also, what accessories are a must for a beginning cyclist? Will I be ok in sneakers/athletic shorts/tight tshirt, or do I absolutely need biking shorts, etc.? I have a trail right behind my house so I can depart/return to my back door.
If you have already visited the LBS, be sure to get yourself fitted properly. They should be able to help you with a bike that fits your budget.

As far as accessories go, all those will come in time, depending on how much mileage you are going to be putting in on the bike. The proper pair of shorts and shoes will help if you are planning on logging in a lot of miles.
Old 11-12-09, 10:28 PM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0m0
I just got a 'real' bike too after spending the past year on a spin bike. I bought a gently used bike that came accessorized and here's what I've found: the Cateye computer (not sure what model but it has readouts for avg speed, cadence, distance, time, and a few more) is nice I guess but I think that money would be better spent on a heart rate monitor or (if you've already got one) the gps and/or cycle accessories for your HR monitor. Out of all the accessories that came with the bike I've by far used the water cage/bottle the most. The small saddle bag is nice too - low profile, comes with tire repair items which I have not had to use (knock on wood) but will someday appreciate - for now I appreciate the fact that it is big enough to stash my keys, a little cash, and arm warmers.

Decent shorts and shoes are worth the money imho - and you might even try them out on your stationary bike when the weather forces you back indoors. Another opinion on shorts - like all things there are several price tiers for bike shorts. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason, buy shorts in the highest price tier you can afford.

Happy riding!
Old 11-15-09, 09:44 AM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe

Road Cyclists are in general highly competitive athletes, and can be a bit rough in their humor. Sarcasm and insults can and do occur, so you're going to need a bit of a thick skin in here. They aren't meant in malice (generally). It's just their aggressive, cutting humor, often with a razors edge. Think of them as an athletic versions of George Carlin, Billy Connolly, or Chris Rock. Just like riding with a new group of cyclists, it may be a good idea to sit in the back, to get a feel for the group, before you jump into the thick of things.

I just read this for the first time.

I think this is flat out wrong.

I have been riding and racing for close to 40 years and I have friends who have been doing so for as long or longer.

Neither I nor any of my friends, or for that matter, most of the people I come across in this sport are rude, to the extent of many of the people that post in this forum.

The paragraph above, I think, merely excuses, in advance much of the terrible, bullying behaviour that seems to pass for acceptable on this sub-forum.

It is simply not what should be expected of adults.
Old 11-15-09, 09:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Who said road cyclists are adults?

Old 11-15-09, 10:06 AM
CrazyIvan

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year a road cyclist tried to intimidate a friend on a trikke by trying to run him off of the Pinellas trail in Florida.
Old 11-23-09, 07:31 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before posting equipment questions watch this:

Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
well.. here's my contribution.

Ode to a facepalm
(Cross post from the Road Racing forum movie contest)

Well done Grumpy
Old 12-05-09, 10:24 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told at a LBS that my 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple lugged steel road bike shouldn't be ridden because it is unsafe. I was told that bikes that old should be ridden with great caution due to frame or wheel failure. I bought the bike 1998 didn't ride it much (okay not at all) until injury stopped me from running (plantar fasciitis). Should I be concerned? I have checked the bike over & see no cracks, plastication or other stress damage. Another LBS said it is in good shape & the wheels are nice & good shape (made by wheelsmith wolber rims & suntour hubs). Sorry for the silly question, but I am new to the sport. Thanks.

Last edited by OldPilot; 12-05-09 at 10:39 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 12-05-09, 10:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPilot
I was told at a LBS that my 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple lugged steel road bike shouldn't be ridden because it is unsafe. I was that bikes that old should be ridden with great caution due to frame or wheel failure. I bought the bike 1998 didn't ride it much (okay not at all) until injury stopped me from running (plantar fasciitis). Should I be concerned? I have checked the bike over & see no cracks, plastication or other stress damage. Another LBS said it is in good shape & the wheels are nice & good shape (made by wheelsmith wolber rims & suntour hubs). Sorry for the silly question, but I am new to the sport. Thanks.
Air up the tires and ride ride ride.

Old 12-06-09, 12:10 AM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, is there any truth to the statement that you need to replace your bike every 10 years? Is it mileage dependent? Does it have anything to do with frame material (steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium)? I am looking for a new bike, I am hooked to this sport (I think about biking 24/7). I have narrowed my choices to Cannondale Synapse 6, Fuji CCR3, Scattante CFR Sport, Allez Compact Elite, Motobecane Century Elite & Motobecane Immortal Pro. I want to treat myself to a new bike and train for a metric century. If the metric century goes well then try a full 100 Miles "Century". I want a bike that will last, not a beat me after a long ride & a frame that is worthy of upgrading as I get better in the sport. I took the Bianchi Imola off the list, I was told that a steel frame wouldn't be as durable or worth upgrading.

Any training advise for the metric century & standard century? Is is like running sprints, tempo, cross-training & slow long distance? I have tube repair kit (tire irons, tube scabs & CO2 pump), bike multi tool & spare tube. What else do I need? I don't use water bottle I use my camel-back (100 oz plenty of H2O). Thanks
Old 12-06-09, 12:39 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPilot
is there any truth to the statement that you need to replace your bike every 10 years?
no. many people are riding bikes way older then that. As long as it has not been damaged/crashed/bent and all that there is no reason to not ride it. Sounds like a myth by bike shops to get customers to buy new bikes.

Buy your bike parts here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.