Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Old 12-06-09, 03:21 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to get a new bike, I have a 1991 Specialized Sirrus triple currently (see attachment), I have narrowed my choices for a new bike to:

1. Cannondale Synapse 6 - the LBS is very helpful, frame looks very like it will be a smooth ride (everytime I go to take a test ride it rains). The componenets are Tiagra, I can choose compact or triple. The Cannondale seems to be the best aluminum frame of the bunch. $1229
2. Allez Compact Elite - same LBS as the Cannondale is willing to drop the price from $1550 to $1300 for a full 105 equipt bike. I got to ride the $850 Allez compact with Sora shifter/Tigra components. Only a couple mile ride comfortable, quick & light I can only imagine what the 105 components are like to ride (evertime I go to this LBS it rains) I am stationed at Ft. Monroe, VA so we are getting alot of rain this fall.
3. Fuji CCR3 - on sale at Performance $1570 (LBS) Ultegra/105 components, feels just as heavy as the Synapse 6. Is a "Carbon Fiber" frame as durable as the Synapse aluminum?
4. Scattante CFR Sport - made by Fuji for Performance (LBS - same as the Fuji CCR3) mixture of Ultegra/105/Forte, feels lighter than the Fuji CCR3.
5. Fuji Cross Comp - $1150 at Performance (LBS) 105/Ultegra components, doesn't seem that heavy with bigger tires (700x30) seems like I can go anywhere.
6. Motobecane Century Elite - looks like a great deal full Ultegra triple, but you have to order it online.
7. Motobecane Immortal Pro - looks like a great deal full Ultegra compact, but like the Century Elite you have to order it online. I have been reading other threads on Bike Forums & I have a question, why is there such hostility (hatred) for Motobecane bikes? Are they a poor quality bike? Should I take them off my list?

I want to get the best bike for the buck, my budget is about $1400 give or take $100. I have a son in college, a son in high school & daughter in junior high, now you know why I want to limit the initial purchase. My thinking is to get a bike that has a really great frame worthy of upgrading the components as my budget allows. It seems that many of the $2500 to $3000 bikes have the same frame as lower priced bikes (my budget) but with high end components & wheels, am I wrong here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front brake.jpg (27.5 KB, 64 views)
bike side.jpg (29.5 KB, 74 views)
my bike.jpg (9.3 KB, 49 views)
crank.jpg (31.2 KB, 68 views)
bike lean.jpg (32.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-06-09, 03:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
My son-in-law loved his Cannondale Synapse 6

Old 12-06-09, 03:37 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does he like the most about the Synapse? I suffuring "The grass is greener" with the FUJIs, Scattante & Motobecanes with the "Ultegra & 105" components. The LBS with the Synapse ($1229) & Allez Elite ($1300) have a great group of people that answer questions, life time adjustment on the bike components (I guess that means shifting/braking) & bike fitting (one LBS would only give me the initial fitting with follow-up adjustments $70/hr). I am leaning hard for the Synapse but the Allez has the full 105. Which frame do you think will be the most comfortable for my goal of a "Metric" & "Standard" century? The Allez was great on a short ride not sure on the long distance. I really want to take the Synapse out for a test ride. Thanks for advise...
Old 12-06-09, 03:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

New bikes are nice.
Fit is what you want. It needs to Fit.
SNL on a 62 mile ride.

Old 12-06-09, 03:55 PM
OldPilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great picture! What is that bike called behind the SNL?

With the service of the LBS with the Synapse & Allez they will definitely take the time for the fit. The LBS told me that we will do the initial fit & fine tune the fit once I get some time ridding the new bike. When I finially get a chance to ride the Synapse I will make the decision. I like the idea that the Synapse has a lifetime warranty. One LBS told me that you should replace your bike every 10 years, I didn't now that there is an expiration date on the bike. Where do you locate the expiration date on the bike?LOL I thought he was full of it, he must be hurting from the recession.
Old 12-06-09, 03:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

A custom $5,000 Greenspeed trike.

Old 12-06-09, 04:02 PM
OldPilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does everyone say fit is the most important thing?
Old 12-06-09, 04:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by OldPilot
Why does everyone say fit is the most important thing?
A good bike fit is like a good walking shoe fit. You can ride or walk all day.

Old 12-06-09, 04:24 PM
OldPilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort has more to do with fit than frame design or material? So pick which fit better between the Synapse & Allez (that is the best LBS)? Sorry to be confused on this point, I don't want to spend over a grand on a bike that I hate...you know...
Old 12-16-09, 11:05 AM
mrdstone
mrdstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of those Novice questions; How does the length of the crank affect the performance of the crank-set and so the bike? Or is it just another way to fit you to your bike?
Old 12-16-09, 11:19 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdstone
I have one of those Novice questions; How does the length of the crank affect the performance of the crank-set and so the bike? Or is it just another way to fit you to your bike?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-21-09, 11:15 AM
mrdstone
mrdstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Both excellent articles.
Old 12-22-09, 03:00 PM
sibley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair price for Trek 1200?

It's listed on CL as 58cm. I'm looking to replace a stolen Trek 1420 for my boyfriend, who is 5'10 and probably could actually use a 56cm and not 58... and I just graduate college and am headed to law school next year (so spending all my savings on applications) so I don't want to spend a fortune.

"I also have the computer (odometer, trip meter, average mph, mph, date, stopwatch), 5 extra tires (2 paired 1 oddball), new handlebar wraps, a small bag under the seat, and a small hand pump that clips to the frame.

I only rode the bike for two seasons and I did a minor tune-up every 100 to 250 miles and major tune-up at the beginning of each season. Compared to the 20 year old 54cm road bike I rode before this bike is amazing! It was lighter, had better stopping power, and was much faster with more speeds. It’s been stored indoors for the last 2 years. I’ve been focused on other things and have stopped cycling."

The guy, when I emailed him, told me he had someone interested in buying it for $625 but if I paid $650 and picked it up tomorrow/today he'd give it to me. I told him I could get one on ebay for ~500 but to send me pics anyway. I'm not sure he actually has someone else looking at as he just sent me the pictures and told me he's open to negotiation.

Attached Images
DSC05023.jpg (98.7 KB, 76 views)
DSC05021.jpg (93.1 KB, 69 views)
DSC05022.jpg (95.5 KB, 73 views)
DSC05018.jpg (97.4 KB, 77 views)
DSC05020.jpg (94.3 KB, 73 views)
DSC05025.jpg (94.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by sibley; 12-22-09 at 03:02 PM. Reason: formatted for easier reading
Old 12-23-09, 06:52 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
I recently rebuilt my site and rebuilt the link structure
here is my guide to taping drop bars
https://stupidhurts.org/?page_id=162
Old 12-28-09, 06:50 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Assuming your 105 is 10speed and the Ultegra crank is a 10speed it will have the correct bottom bracket. All 10 speed Shimano cranks use the same hollow tech bottom bracket.

Originally Posted by jklimp
Hello, I just started cycling in September and about 3 weeks ago i finally got a decent bike. It has all 105 components except the shifters are tiagra and sora(both sti shifters). Anyway, a friends gave me a set of dura ace shifters and an ultegra double crankset. The crankset didn't come with a bottom bracket, and my question is, will i need to buy a bottom bracket that is compatible with the ultegra crankset, or is it at all likely that the bottom bracket currently installed in my bike will be compatable with it(The current crankset is a triple 105's). I feel kind of dumb asking about this and I hope i got all the terminology correct, I am doing my best to try and figure out bicycle mechanics.
Old 12-28-09, 06:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by jklimp
Hello, I just started cycling in September and about 3 weeks ago i finally got a decent bike. It has all 105 components except the shifters are tiagra and sora(both sti shifters). Anyway, a friends gave me a set of dura ace shifters and an ultegra double crankset. The crankset didn't come with a bottom bracket, and my question is, will i need to buy a bottom bracket that is compatible with the ultegra crankset, or is it at all likely that the bottom bracket currently installed in my bike will be compatable with it(The current crankset is a triple 105's). I feel kind of dumb asking about this and I hope i got all the terminology correct, I am doing my best to try and figure out bicycle mechanics.
Asked your questions here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ycle-Mechanics

Old 02-05-10, 06:17 PM
steamwhipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a Nishiki Sport Road Bike at the Thrift Store the other day... It had a label on it that said "Cro Mo 4130," also. It looked fine, other than looking like it needed a new chain and new tires. It was $28. Good buy for a beginner?
Old 02-06-10, 11:28 AM
ryansligar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the forum. I just bought a bike that I was unable to find much information on but many questions on the forum about it. It's a Rossetti SLX. I am assembling it now and wanted to share my experience with others in the forum that have the same questions that I had. I replied to an earlier thread regarding the Rossetti with some of the information on the build but now realized that it was probably not the best spot to post the information. I wonder if you could recommend the best area to post my findings on the new bike as the build and first ride progress?

Currently it's at

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=rossetti

my posts start on 02-03-10 09:56 PM

THanks much,

Ryan
Old 02-08-10, 04:50 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
What road bike don't I have?
Old 02-08-10, 06:14 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Only if it fits you correctly. If the size is wrong, even $1 is no bargain.

Originally Posted by steamwhipper
I found a Nishiki Sport Road Bike at the Thrift Store the other day... It had a label on it that said "Cro Mo 4130," also. It looked fine, other than looking like it needed a new chain and new tires. It was $28. Good buy for a beginner?
Old 02-11-10, 01:44 PM
Singh

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I started riding around a week ago, I've learned quite a bit but I still need to get proper attire for riding. I've got a pump and a patch kit, but i use a windbreaker's pockets and some jogging pant...oh yeah I need new pedals and shoes as well (maybe even a better helmet)...

Does anyone know where I should look with a tight budget? Thanks
Old 03-08-10, 08:53 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I don't think this is worth a new thread so here it is. Does anyone else here find that drivers pass them even when you are going/exceeding the speed limit? There's a stretch of road here, slight downhill, 25 mph zone. I often go around 30 and still get passed.. I don't get it.
Old 03-08-10, 08:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by mzeffex
I don't think this is worth a new thread so here it is. Does anyone else here find that drivers pass them even when you are going/exceeding the speed limit? There's a stretch of road here, slight downhill, 25 mph zone. I often go around 30 and still get passed.. I don't get it.
You in a hurry to a crash?

Old 03-08-10, 09:10 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Huh?
Old 03-08-10, 09:29 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Huh?
He's old, lost his mind. Never makes any sense.

To answer your question, yes, I find drivers often do that to me as well. It's like that in their mind we couldn't possibly be going fast enough, so of course they need to be going faster than us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.