Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your I-talians!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your I-talians!

Old 11-15-16, 05:44 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
Lynn, thats a beautiful bike. I always wondered; considering the extensive drillium (sp), how much weight has been reduced?
Bike weighed 21.8 lb as you see it. Bear in mind, I pieced it together. I think it was aesthetics myself. My friend had one, that's what prompted me to get this one. His weighed 20.1 lb from the factory. Fiamme yellow rims which he rode once and opted for something a bit more robust.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-26-16, 12:20 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Bike weighed 21.8 lb as you see it. Bear in mind, I pieced it together. I think it was aesthetics myself. My friend had one, that's what prompted me to get this one. His weighed 20.1 lb from the factory. Fiamme yellow rims which he rode once and opted for something a bit more robust.
Any idea what year your or your friend's Superlights were and what color his was? Your former bike looked like rose pearl, sort of like rose gold iPhone color but not quite so pink. I have a 60.5cm Superlight in Pearl White but has quite a few nicks and a few pure white touch-ups. The 76 catalog online and a physical one in my hands say the 76 Superlight should be Silver-blue (mostly silver) and equipped with drillium parts (rings, brakes) while the same drilled and relieved frame in Silver-Green (much more greenish than Silver apparently) with regular NR gruppo is the Super Speciale.

Sure would like to know what has happened to your Superlight, it was an excellent example of that model.

Regards,

Bart
Old 11-26-16, 09:55 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

No idea of the year. I believe the color on mine was called Dusty Rose. His was a pearl white. I sold the frame to a friend a few years back. Photo of my friend's Superlight below. He still has it but it got wrecked in a race.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-26-16, 10:09 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Here's an update of the Campione. Replaced the heavy old wheels with some new light Fulcrum Race 3s.

Old 11-26-16, 10:43 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
I'll share my new Italian too. By the serial number I will say it is a 1988 Basso but I'm really not sure which model. This is a fresh repaint. Equipped with Shimano Tricolor 6000 components instead of Campagnolo. Just got it back from having the wheels serviced and the slipping freehub replaced.

Looks a lot like a Gap but at 22 lbs 14 ozs with that Brooks saddle I'd have expected a 54 cm to be a bit lighter.

The decals don't help sort it out really:

Nice detail on this one, whatever it is:

Old 11-26-16, 10:50 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
My Italian...

I have to update the photo soon. Not really sure of the manufacturer, either Olmo or Viner but its a very sweet ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1159.jpg (99.2 KB, 522 views)
Old 11-26-16, 11:00 AM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
No idea of the year. I believe the color on mine was called Dusty Rose. His was a pearl white. I sold the frame to a friend a few years back. Photo of my friend's Superlight below. He still has it but it got wrecked in a race.

The one in the photo is a first year, 1973. I had an identical one. Color is pearl white.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 11-26-16, 11:19 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Originally Posted by Otis
The one in the photo is a first year, 1973. I had an identical one. Color is pearl white.
Didn't the type of drillium vary over the years? I seem to recall variations over the few years they were produced.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-26-16, 11:36 AM
Otis

Didn't the type of drillium vary over the years? I seem to recall variations over the few years they were produced.
The first year had the crank arms drilled down the arms and the spiders opened up. Both rings drilled, the brake calipers drilled. I can't remember if the brake levers were drilled or were the first Super Record? The post a shorty that was fluted top to bottom.

The derailleurs and shifters were not drilled.

Wheels were HF Record/Fiamme yelllow.

I think they did stop drilling holes in the crank arms as they went (which was pretty tacky anyway). And it would make sense that the parts did not match exactly over the production run. I'm sure they were done in small batches. And looked like they were done with templates, drilled by hand and/or drill press. The rings were not very consistent like they would be if done on a rotary table in a mill. But that takes a lot longer than just going at it with a drill press.

Old 11-26-16, 03:28 PM
thaian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here goes my couple of beloved italians. my road bike need a bit of love, i admit.

Old 11-26-16, 04:54 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

The first year had the crank arms drilled down the arms and the spiders opened up. Both rings drilled, the brake calipers drilled. I can't remember if the brake levers were drilled or were the first Super Record? The post a shorty that was fluted top to bottom.

The derailleurs and shifters were not drilled.

Wheels were HF Record/Fiamme yelllow.

I think they did stop drilling holes in the crank arms as they went (which was pretty tacky anyway). And it would make sense that the parts did not match exactly over the production run. I'm sure they were done in small batches. And looked like they were done with templates, drilled by hand and/or drill press. The rings were not very consistent like they would be if done on a rotary table in a mill. But that takes a lot longer than just going at it with a drill press.
Looked at another photo of his bike. The brake levers do not appear to be drilled at all.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-26-16, 05:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
C. Harding's Westwood Cyclery had two on the rack in 1973. The drilled crank arms surprised the heck out of me.
The other parts not so much.
There were guys who saw that and did various versions of that. One fellow I raced against did his own and was DNF about 10 feet from the starting line in one race as it let go. We were both racing the next age bracket as there was no race for our category. 1975 Long Beach Grand Prix, on the Original Formula 1 course, lots of fun. Found myself off the front as I was just having fun carving turns with a bike that had an 11" high bottom bracket and 167.5 cranks.
Took the first lap prime as I was way off the front, then fell back as we had 8 laps to go ( race shortened as we got off late) was really bummed when we came around again and they announced 3 laps to go! Had I known that I would have tried to stay away and at least gather up another prime or two... Best case I would have been out of sight, out of mind... So it goes.
Old 11-26-16, 05:21 PM
Otis

Here's the levers on my old bike:

They were either drilled or are very early Super Record? Although if drilled, it's a lot straighter than the rest of the work....

Old 12-16-16, 02:39 PM
ACyclingRooster

Bikes: a Fully restored 52cm Italian build Benotto Modelo 850.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi to you all out there.
Silly questions - Can I upload and image from my own PC ?

What is a URL and how do I acquire one ?
Old 12-16-16, 03:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'll share my new Italian too. By the serial number I will say it is a 1988 Basso but I'm really not sure which model. This is a fresh repaint. Equipped with Shimano Tricolor 6000 components instead of Campagnolo. Just got it back from having the wheels serviced and the slipping freehub replaced.

Looks a lot like a Gap but at 22 lbs 14 ozs with that Brooks saddle I'd have expected a 54 cm to be a bit lighter.

The decals don't help sort it out really:

Nice detail on this one, whatever it is:

That bike is simply gorgeous. Congrats!
Old 12-16-16, 03:14 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by ACyclingRooster
Can I upload and image from my own PC ?
Yes, it's not as straightforward as it was before the upgrade ("BU"?), but still possible. I'll walk through the steps, starting from the quick reply editor.
  1. Scroll to the bottom of the quick reply page.
  2. Poke the Manage Attachments button.
  3. Poke one of the Choose file buttons at the top of the pop-up, and select a file from your computer.
  4. Click the Upload button in that section of the pop-up.
  5. Click the image in the Current Attachments pane.
  6. Copy its URL.
  7. Click the Insert Image button from the editor tool bar (^ right up there).
  8. Paste the URL and click OK.
  9. Note with some chagrin that there is a "thumbnail" corresponding to the attached image which is the same size as the image in your post.

Attached Images
s-l1601_29395948494_o.jpg (101.3 KB, 537 views)
Old 12-16-16, 04:17 PM
ACyclingRooster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Yes, it's not as straightforward as it was before the upgrade ("BU"?), but still possible. I'll walk through the steps, starting from the quick reply editor.
  1. Scroll to the bottom of the quick reply page.
  2. Poke the Manage Attachments button.
  3. Poke one of the Choose file buttons at the top of the pop-up, and select a file from your computer.
  4. Click the Upload button in that section of the pop-up.
  5. Click the image in the Current Attachments pane.
  6. Copy its URL.
  7. Click the Insert Image button from the editor tool bar (^ right up there).
  8. Paste the URL and click OK.
  9. Note with some chagrin that there is a "thumbnail" corresponding to the attached image which is the same size as the image in your post.

Hi smontanaro. Thank you very much for your detailed reply - I have printed it off in order that I don't forget the various stages to hopefully a satisfactory conclusion and the images of my Benotto Modelo 850.
Old 12-16-16, 04:44 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 241 Posts
A couple more that I hadn't posted. A Pinarello Montello and a Simoncini Special Professional. The Simoncini is on my trainer for the winter and will go to my son in the spring.
Attached Images
IMG_0353.jpg (95.7 KB, 439 views)
IMG_0419.jpg (96.6 KB, 437 views)
Old 02-12-17, 10:09 PM
Kc2896

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Somec

My 80's Somec 63cm
For sale.
Attached Images
IMG_0278.jpg (88.0 KB, 391 views)
IMG_0270.jpg (91.1 KB, 389 views)
IMG_0271.jpg (91.3 KB, 387 views)
IMG_0283.jpg (91.3 KB, 387 views)
IMG_0234.jpg (93.3 KB, 385 views)
IMG_0249.jpg (91.6 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Kc2896; 02-12-17 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 10:20 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
A couple more that I hadn't posted. A Pinarello Montello and a Simoncini Special Professional. The Simoncini is on my trainer for the winter and will go to my son in the spring.
Nice bikes, thats cool I'm sure your son will enjoy the ride. Question: what indoor trainer brand/model do you like to hook up with a bike like that?
Old 02-12-17, 11:04 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 241 Posts
CycleOps mag trainer.

Originally Posted by WolfRyder
Nice bikes, thats cool I'm sure your son will enjoy the ride. Question: what indoor trainer brand/model do you like to hook up with a bike like that?
Old 02-12-17, 11:10 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
A 1960 Olmo gran sport:

https://
Old 02-13-17, 06:26 AM
ACyclingRooster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Benotto Modelo 850

Hi to you all out there. Well hopefully I have managed to discover the secret of attaching files/images from my PC.

The images are of my fully restored and bespoke rebuilt 52cm Benotto Modelo 850. Yes before you ask - it is an Italian frame not one of the Mexican built ones - Frame No R8578 originally in Benotto Light Gold.

The bike was seriously bodged and fitted with a 'Make-do and Hope for the best' collection of bits.

It was rescued from certain conversion into Bean Cans when I discovered it at a charity site on E'bay some three+ years ago - I gave £126.00+ for the pleasure of spending a further and much heavier lump of cash on a full re-enamelling and brand new Pantograph Benotto Chrome Forks.
My total spend was circa £1200-00 with the new Stove Enamelled Jacket + the original chromed forks courtesy of C&G Finishes,Liverpool.
The bike was built using a mix of mainly NOS but with a few carefully selected pre-owned items such as the Mavic rims on Mavic Aksium Race hubs with 8spd Campagnolo and my own Stronglight Triple on Thorn 140mm cranks (Prosthetic Total Left Knee in late November 2007) brought about by limited 92* bend at the knee.
Attached Images
DSCF4005.jpg (101.2 KB, 371 views)
DSCF4006.jpg (99.2 KB, 367 views)
Old 02-13-17, 10:18 AM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
There are some really beautiful bike in this thread! Here is one of mine - mid 1930s Maino Super Campionissimo with Vittoria Margherita.
Old 02-13-17, 10:55 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Masi (actually made here in Carlsbad back in '84), and Lemond (made in Italy in ~91?).

And I got to shake Dave Stoler's hand last summer and see his bike at Masi's 90th birthday party here in Carlsbad last Summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.