Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I think I found “THE ONE” for me – Merlin Extralight

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-18-11, 12:08 PM
Bimdapogs

Bikes: 97 Merlin XLight, 99 Merlin XLM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, it was that good! It is THE ONE. I never expected a Ti ride, but this popped up in the local classifieds for a very good price. Full Campy Record Ti group except it has Ksyrium rear wheel. They can be matched later, I’m still undecided whether to get a matching Ksyrium SL, or match the original Open Pro with Record hubs. Cinelli Grammo stem and AmClassic Ti seatpost.

Now, of course I have a question. One for now - can anybody tell me how Merlin’s Grease Guard BB look like? I read about it and my Xlight looks like it has press fit Campy Record BB. Can someone post a pic, please? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bimdapogs; 05-22-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 12:13 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another pic..

Old 10-18-11, 12:18 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Those bikes are sooooo nice!

I rode one for a long,long time!
When I wanted a custom frame, I went to Tom Kellogg @ Spectrum to build me one.
He designed the Merlin frames!

Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-18-11, 12:23 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
So, how light did the Extralight turn out to be??

Chombi
Old 10-18-11, 12:25 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Can you tell me the serial number on your Merlin? If you want to date it, the man to talk to is Tom kellogg at Spectrum Bikes. I have a 1991 Merlin (before the extra light model) and it was one of the first butted ti frames...for the time, this was THE "it" bike...it was the frame all serious riders aspired to and few could afford (about $3200 in 1990 dollars!!!). Merlin moved production to Tenn. in, I think, 1998 and some of the original founders jumped ship. Later on they were bought by Litespeed/ABG and were just recently sold off again earlier this year. The consensus is that the pre-98' bikes are the ones to own.

Mine has a press in grease guard BB shell, which is the only negative to the bike - it limits me on cranks, which further limits upgrading it. I'm currently running mostly 9sp DA with an 8sp tricolor crank. I'm not familiar with a campy grease guard BB - I know Phil Woods and Suntour made one. I am curious as to your BB because I don't recall Campy 9sp being a square cut crank - meaning it shouldn't work with a GG BB.

As far as ride quality - my Merlin was love at first pedal. I've put a fair bit of mileage on it in the past few years and it was my go to bike before the custom Marnati. Tom Kellogg designed the geometry on them, partially explaining their amazing ride quality. Ti pretty much never looks anything other than new...they aren't the prettiest bikes around, but damn they work well - and no more worries about paint or corrosion.
Old 10-18-11, 12:26 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is by Rob Vandermark, according to a decal on the left chainstay. Still a nice ride! Thanks.

Last edited by Bimdapogs; 10-18-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 12:29 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is the Merlin considered C&V? What year is it?

Sweet bike..
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love the bike, love the group. Congrats, that's definitely a keeper.

My advice is Record hub laced to OP rim to match the front. I have silver Campy hubs laced to OPs on my ti bike and love the look, they ride well and they're bulletproof.
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Rob Vandermark was one of the original founders, and you can't put too much stock in most Merlin decals because most/many riders removed them and tossed on decals from whenever later. You can still buy Merlin decals! I think that Merlin ALWAYS used TK geometry charts and he continued a relationship with them even after the ABG years.

The serial number on my bike is inside the drive side DO.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-18-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 12:38 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Is the Merlin considered C&V? What year is it?

Sweet bike..
I think this is early-mid 90s. 15 years and older, right? Please let me post her here, this is the only part of BF where I post aside from the Mechanics section.

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Love the bike, love the group. Congrats, that's definitely a keeper.

My advice is Record hub laced to OP rim to match the front. I have silver Campy hubs laced to OPs on my ti bike and love the look, they ride well and they're bulletproof.
The Ksyrium does look "Eh" on the bike. I guess it will depend on what I stumble on first. I definitely don't like the decals on the Ksyrium, I plan to peel them off I ever go that route.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Rob Vandermark was one of the original founders, and you can't put too much stock in most Merlin decals because most/many riders removed them and tossed on decals from whenever later. You can still buy Merlin decals! I think that Merlin ALWAYS used TK geometry charts and he continued a relationship with them even after the ABG years.

The serial number on my bike is inside the drive side DO.
I'll confirm the serial number later tonight. I think it read XL891, but I'll confirm later. I'll also snap some pics of the BB/crank arms while I'm at it.
Old 10-18-11, 12:46 PM
5cagm

Bikes: 1984 Nishiki Landau, 1991 Merlin Titanium, 199? Lotto MBK Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I also have an early (1991 I believe, possibly 1992) Merlin Titanium. I actually have a question that I'd also like to throw into this discussion that I'm hoping Aaron or someone else can answer and that may help with the Merlin edit: Bimdapogs just picked up. My bottom bracket is pressed in like a Grease Guard BB, but the shell doesn't have the grease port that I've seen in photos of other early Merlins. Any ideas on whether this is a variation or another type of pressed BB?

Last edited by 5cagm; 10-18-11 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 12:49 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
This is an American Merlin, yes? I don't think they make the British ones anymore, do they?
Old 10-18-11, 12:54 PM
jr59

Give Tom a call. He is one of the good guys and knows more about old merlins than anyone.

https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/
Old 10-18-11, 12:54 PM
jr59

Originally Posted by 5cagm
Hi,
I also have an early (1991 I believe, possibly 1992) Merlin Titanium. I actually have a question that I'd also like to throw into this discussion that I'm hoping Aaron or someone else can answer and that may help with the Merlin jr59 just picked up. My bottom bracket is pressed in like a Grease Guard BB, but the shell doesn't have the grease port that I've seen in photos of other early Merlins. Any ideas on whether this is a variation or another type of pressed BB?
I have never seen one like that. Sorry, no help here.
Old 10-18-11, 12:55 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimdapogs
I think this is early-mid 90s. 15 years and older, right? Please let me post her here, this is the only part of BF where I post aside from the Mechanics section.
By all means I wasn't saying don't post it here!! I was just asking about the vintage, that's all..

You are correct, in this area, there are TRUE BICYCLE LOVERS, that really appreciate fine bikes. That is why I hang out here...

Waiting to see a good picture of that beauty too...
Old 10-18-11, 01:09 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jr59
I have never seen one like that. Sorry, no help here.
I haven't heard of an alternate BB either...though it's possible a customer or employee might have spec'd one (maybe a Suntour). The GG BBs were propietary.

Rob V. left Merlin in 97' if I recall...he formed Seven, who are now building frames for Kelogg's Spectrums. They moved to Tenn. in 2000...but apparently build quality began deteriorating before that (a little after Rob V left).
Old 10-18-11, 01:22 PM
jr59

I haven't heard of an alternate BB either...though it's possible a customer or employee might have spec'd one (maybe a Suntour). The GG BBs were propietary.

Rob V. left Merlin in 97' if I recall...he formed Seven, who are now building frames for Kelogg's Spectrums. They moved to Tenn. in 2000...but apparently build quality began deteriorating before that (a little after Rob V left).
All of this is 100% correct! I will add that Spectrums are built with tubing from Merlin and welded by seven, and designed my TK!

And even if it's not vintage!

Thats what the extra light grew up to be!
Attached Images
Old 10-18-11, 01:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
That is a nice looking bike.

Old 10-18-11, 01:27 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5cagm's description seems to fit mine as well. But I can't be 100% sure until I see what a GG BB looks like. Would love to see a pic...

That's a stunner jr59!
Old 10-18-11, 01:28 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

All of this is 100% correct! I will add that Spectrums are built with tubing from Merlin and welded by seven, and designed my TK!

And even if it's not vintage!

Thats what the extra light grew up to be!
Some day I'll get a custom ti spectrum...some day.

I have a friend with a Spectrum that might be making its way to me soon...it's too big for him and my Look would fit him better...as well as being more modern and with clinchers. He'll get to upgrade to SRAM Force.
Old 10-18-11, 02:33 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Some day I'll get a custom ti spectrum...some day.

I have a friend with a Spectrum that might be making its way to me soon...it's too big for him and my Look would fit him better...as well as being more modern and with clinchers. He'll get to upgrade to SRAM Force.
I'm 50 in a little over two years, and I'm seriously pondering a custom ti bike as a gift to myself.
Old 10-18-11, 02:45 PM
5cagm

Bikes: 1984 Nishiki Landau, 1991 Merlin Titanium, 199? Lotto MBK Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I've emailed TK in the past, maybe he'll have an answer. Like Bimdapogs, I'd love to see some photos of other members' BB shells. Cheers!
Old 10-18-11, 02:45 PM
jr59

lol@ Aaron, with Steve Bauers Merckx, A Primato, a Marnati, AND TWO SACHS!

BTW; you can not even order a Sachs. Richard has closed his books and if you are not one of his customers, you can't get on his 7 year waiting list!

LOL... to funny!
Old 10-18-11, 02:50 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

lol@ Aaron, with Steve Bauers Merckx, A Primato, a Marnati, AND TWO SACHS!

BTW; you can not even order a Sachs. Richard has closed his books and if you are not one of his customers, you can't get on his 7 year waiting list!

LOL... to funny!
What can I say...it's a sickness

I'll send out some photos later tonight.

What you said about Sachs isn't 100% accurate AFAIK. He'll put you on the list for a cyclocross bike, just not a road bike. He'll also put you on if you're military, a vet, clergy or a teacher.

BTW, even with some of the cool bikes I've been lucky enough to play with, the Merlin holds its own against pretty much anything. I absolutely love that bike and it changed my standards.

PS - Picchio has nicer stuff than I have (though he's less of a show off) - and he feels the same way. That gives some insight into how well regarded TK is.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-18-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 03:44 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
You did really well on this, I almost bought it for the parts. Nice to see that it went to a good home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.