Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Man, I sure want one of these...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Man, I sure want one of these...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 07:35 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
The future shock and the lowering of the seat tube clamp work very well to deliver a smooth ride on rough surfaces. On roads and surfaces I used to cringe and have to slow down for on my 2016 Diverge (with 60 psi Strada USH tires!) I just glide over full speed on this bike. Yesterday I rode the Roubaix at full speed across some bridges with washboard planks across them that nearly yanked the hoods out of my hands with the Diverge - no problem with the Roubaix, in complete control.

Get one while you are still young. Or even not
Haven't tried the future shock thing, but there's a lot to be said for things that can absorb/dampen the vibration. There are tons of roads near me that are part of my various riding routes where on my old aluminum Trek I'd have to slow down and then still get rattled to death, even with a 25mm tire up front and a 28mm in the rear. With the new Lynskey and the 32mm tires I've got on there I just ride down those roads at full speed now. Yeah, I still feel that I'm on a rough rode, but the magnitude of the vibration is maybe 30% of what it was with the old bike. It makes rough road feel nearly like smooth road, and really terrible road feel merely rough. It's a massive improvement.

Not saying the Luddites and penny-pinchers are all wrong, but I'll take a noticeably more comfortable and also faster and more stable ride over what I got from the old Trek any day.

I'd love to take a test ride on the bike linked to in the OP. I'd be really curious to see how it compares to the Lynskey.
Old 11-26-17, 07:39 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=240084-128894

Just would be stretching my rubber band a little too tight. Ha, who am I kidding... that's bungee cord status, instead of rubber band.
In my case, it has divorce written all over it.
Old 11-27-17, 09:57 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'd rather spend the money flying to France and running the amateur Roubaix day for the next three years on my already owned gravel bike
Old 11-27-17, 10:06 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You may want to look into insurance,,,,,thats more than the cars I buy.
Old 11-27-17, 09:51 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Three of our club riders ride these, one a woman's version. They love them. I haven't been able to con them out of a demo ride yet. I have an old '07 Roubaix Elite 105, and I have disc brakes and Di2 on my Culprit, lot less money, but without the road buzz kill compliance. I do love the Di2 and discs on my Culprit. Go for it. I also have a '73 Super Course that is the smoothest riding bike in the bunch. It would be fun to compare the SC and the new Roubaix. New toys are fun, but steel is real ... as they say.