Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

That moment you...

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

That moment you...

Old 11-26-17, 04:17 AM
SAR1L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That moment you...

... pretty much P*** yourself right before your first skydive.

I would say this is pretty much the same feeling.

Transmission on my truck is going out, can't afford the repairs. I was thinking, 10 miles round trip to work.
Walking to work, would be a great way to save money, lose some weight, and last time I checked my legs
are still perfectly good transportation. On super bad days you city bus it to work and back.

Wife thought maybe #1 this would be time consuming, #2 suggested I get a bike.

So in classic fashion I went out and purchased a bike, before I knew anything, cause something is better than nothing. Am I Right?

1. I did go out and buy a Walmart bike. ( Cause it is all I can afford. )
No doubt my new bike won't be my last, and I know it isn't made of the same DNA as higher grade/quality bikes.
I considered buying used, but with lack of knowledge, thought that may be even more higher risk of getting still a cheap bike, with issues I couldn't see with untrained eyes.

2. This will be my daily commuter starting in about a week. ( Steep learning curve. ^^ )
I have been researching laws, safety, how to prevent my bike being stolen and maintenance.

3. I am optimistic, though I know I am about to go into the bowels of suck.
By law my bike is still a vehicle, so at least I have a vehicle. A nice looking, cheap vehicle.

4. I am hoping to find help, I have to prioritize, with limited resources, and it is going to be hard I am sure.
Maybe someone experienced here is interested in helping a newbie that has no other choice than to walk.

Fire away, I understand if you think I am a completely insane idiot, however any help is greatly appreciated!

SAR1L
Old 11-26-17, 11:57 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!!

Love this post! hahahaha! Check into our commuting section for ideas on a good bike for your needs. You can start a new thread there as well.

Good luck! And thanks for joining!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-26-17, 03:03 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. The Commuting forum can help you find the right bike (when you're ready for a new one), bike safety, repairs, locks, lights, how to carry your stuff (change of clothes, lunch, etc), clothing for any weather, etc.
Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-26-17, 04:41 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Above all be safe. The most important things are to be aware of your environment, make sure you are visible to everyone else, and ride predictably. Good luck, and I hope everything works out.
Old 11-26-17, 05:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Welcome!

Old 11-26-17, 05:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
you're not alone. been there, done that. how far is the ride? what bike did you get?
Old 11-26-17, 06:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,564 Times in 3,764 Posts
Welcome!
Old 11-26-17, 07:05 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Welcome. Commuting is fun. It’s a little challenging at the beginning but you’ll be a veteran in a couple weeks. Lots of good advice here to help.
Old 11-26-17, 11:51 PM
SAR1L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Welcome to Bike Forums!!

Love this post! hahahaha! Check into our commuting section for ideas on a good bike for your needs. You can start a new thread there as well.

Good luck! And thanks for joining!
Thank you glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you're not alone. been there, done that. how far is the ride? what bike did you get?
I bought a $119 hyper havoc. The ride is 5.6 miles each way so 11.2 total, with some hard hills that I simply walk the bike up. Google estimates it takes 40 minutes on the way there, and 23 on the way back.
I was able to do it in 65 minutes way up, and 35 min on way back. I am also around 275 - 280 lbs, and out of shape.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Welcome. Commuting is fun. It’s a little challenging at the beginning but you’ll be a veteran in a couple weeks. Lots of good advice here to help.
Thank you, and I figure except for bad weather days it will only get easier.
Old 11-27-17, 08:57 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Check out the subforum Foo as well. I think you'd be a perfect fit LOL
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-27-17, 10:11 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey!!!!! We all started on a lower priced unit....Study, Look, Learn your Shimano parts as thats what most have, look at pros and cons of each, ABOVE ALL, get one that fits YOU.