Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How simply do you live?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How simply do you live?

Old 02-14-18, 10:50 AM
craigeckhoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How simply do you live? Well I looked up world wide incomes. 50% live on less than $2.50 per day. Another 30 % live on $2.50 to $10.00 per day. The rest earn more than $10 per day. I saw a poster in a Salvation Army church office that stated: If you have shoes on your feet, clothes on your back, food in your stomach, and any kind of roof over your head at night you're doing better than 75 % of the world. For what it's worth I always refer back to that when I hear someone crying the blues about their life.
Likes For craigeckhoff:
Old 02-16-18, 03:16 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by craigeckhoff
How simply do you live? Well I looked up world wide incomes. 50% live on less than $2.50 per day. Another 30 % live on $2.50 to $10.00 per day. The rest earn more than $10 per day. I saw a poster in a Salvation Army church office that stated: If you have shoes on your feet, clothes on your back, food in your stomach, and any kind of roof over your head at night you're doing better than 75 % of the world. For what it's worth I always refer back to that when I hear someone crying the blues about their life.
Some thing to think about... I also think anything we have is given to us by God. No matter how hard u think u work for what u have, the reason u can work hard is because God ,Nature,Great Spirit or what ever u want to call it,gives us the health, and strength to work hard.
Old 02-18-18, 06:47 PM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We Are our Own good !

Originally Posted by rossiny
Some thing to think about... I also think anything we have is given to us by God. No matter how hard u think u work for what u have, the reason u can work hard is because God ,Nature,Great Spirit or what ever u want to call it,gives us the health, and strength to work hard.
The things We own are Due to our personal effort and Accomplishments ... NOT some Fictitious Being from biblical references !! I have Always owned more than I needed, Mainly because I was influenced by those who claim 2 is One, and 1 is None! So REDUNDANCY has always been important especially when living in Survival mode as I have. Better to Rely on Yourself, and Become your Own god ! 😎
Old 02-18-18, 11:09 PM
jackmate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=technoD;20176892]The things We own are Due to our personal effort and Accomplishments ... NOT some Fictitious Being from biblical references !! I have Always owned more than I needed, Mainly because I was influenced by those who claim 2 is One, and 1 is None! So REDUNDANCY has always been important especially when living in Survival mode as I have. Better to Rely on Yourself, and Become your Own god ! 😎[/QUOT]

Maybe, but it’s pretty easy in the US.
Old 02-19-18, 02:18 AM
rossiny

Originally Posted by technoD
The things We own are Due to our personal effort and Accomplishments ... NOT some Fictitious Being from biblical references !! I have Always owned more than I needed, Mainly because I was influenced by those who claim 2 is One, and 1 is None! So REDUNDANCY has always been important especially when living in Survival mode as I have. Better to Rely on Yourself, and Become your Own god ! 😎
fictitious creature...what produces air u breath.. Not talking about a man in the sky..talking about nature..and where would God be if there is a God..? A lot if times talents you have are DNA given to you ..so why take credit..give it to your parents at least if u don't believe in God.. I prefer Great Spirit..because too many people hear the word God and think if some man watching over us.. I just think every thing is connected...but who knows?
Old 02-19-18, 05:32 AM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Great Spirit ?

fictitious creature...what produces air u breath.. Not talking about a man in the sky..talking about nature..and where would God be if there is a God..? A lot if times talents you have are DNA given to you ..so why take credit..give it to your parents at least if u don't believe in God.. I prefer Great Spirit..because too many people hear the word God and think if some man watching over us.. I just think every thing is connected...but who knows?
I won't get into a pissing match here, but I Am a advocate of Evolution of Life, with that said , that's my answer for our air, Etc. But Great Spirit ... Um NO. At any rate, have a nice day. 😎👍
Old 02-26-18, 07:39 PM
bp2k8

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
wth I was trying to say this in the other living car free thread and everyone laughed. I respect their opinion but ross i feel u 100%.

Anywho how did I miss this thread....
I sleep on a hammock and only thing in my efficiency apartment is my bikes and tools. I sleep on the floor or outside in my tent. My laptop is about a 13 in screen and very light. I have a phone but rarely use it only for emergency wifi which I cannot stand but do not have a phone sim card nor account. I use the same bamboo bowl and utensils and recycle bottles whenever I encounter them - which in Florida is practically every 5 mins.

Last edited by bp2k8; 02-26-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 07:47 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
The 22nd of this month will be the one year anniversary living rent free. The van was bought for $800. Insurance for the year was $800.

Winter in Hollywood was so comfortable compared to my previous location in Montana. There were only a few weeks of wearing extra clothes to bed.

For many years I wanted to travel the world in a sailboat. That still might happen but only in the Caribbean and Gulf Coast. I don't want to hang out in the radioactive Pacific.

Would I be considered homeless if I were living in a sailboat or perhaps a big RV? It's all about perspective. Sailboats roaming from city to city around the world sounds adventurous. Rolling from city to city around the world in a minivan somehow doesn't equate, even though it can go more places.

Nice!! Police dont bother or tap ur window to check? I did it like this a few times but grew weary of getting light shined in the middle of the night. I think the best way is a pickup truck and u sleep in the bed of the truck in rthe back lo
Old 02-27-18, 12:15 AM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Then why use the word 'god' in the first place? While luck -both good and bad- is a hugely significant factor in terms of how things play out for us, that's not god. Sure, some persons have exceptional natural talent, but this isn't intentionally given to them... it's just luck. Lucky to have great parents, lucky the phenotype worked out, lucky there were no catastrophic accidents that ended a life early... none of this is consciously given by anyone or anything any more than getting great cards are given to a poker player. It's just how things play out.
Old 02-27-18, 01:39 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bp2k8
Nice!! Police dont bother or tap ur window to check? I did it like this a few times but grew weary of getting light shined in the middle of the night. I think the best way is a pickup truck and u sleep in the bed of the truck in rthe back lo
One time a policeman in Eugene Oregon came to my door in the late morning to tell me I couldn't park on the street beside the Walmart. He wouldn't have been there if not for the trash heap of an RV parked at the end of the street where the people had unpacked a ton of junk and left it on the grass between the sidewalk and street. Somehow those jerks felt it was OK to do that while their twenty year old Class A heap was parked there. Such people give people like me a bad name.

In Helena, Butte, Hollywood, Portland, and Monroe I was never bothered because I was hidden. I didn't hang out outside of the van. I didn't step into or out of the van side door if anybody was around. Most of the windows were painted black on the inside. They looked tinted from a distance. Light couldn't penetrate them. A thick black vinyl curtain separated the front seats from the rear of the van. Nobody knew I was there.

One Thanksgiving some people were going around bringing food to people living openly in their junky looking vehicles. Mine was one car behind a van with a high top roof. Those charitable people didn't come to my van because I was invisible. Even though they were living in that neighborhood and were familiar with the others parked on that street they didn't know I too was living on that street. I was very stealthy.

I stayed in my minivan for a little over two years. I worked in Hollywood for many months. Then tried Portland for a couple of months. From there I got a temporary job in Monroe Washington and remained there for three weeks before heading to Portland and then back to Hollywood. I got a job and would still be there if I could have bought a newer van. Unfortunately I couldn't prove I had a residence. Which meant I couldn't get car insurance. So the deal for the van I was intending to buy couldn't be completed.

The old van was dying so I quit my job and sold it. Living in Hollywood would have been too expensive in an apartment. So I returned home to Helena Montana to live in an uncluttered quiet safe place. I can go months without hearing any kind of siren. It's beautiful too. Plus the government isn't as insane as the one in California.

It is my hope that in a month or two I'll be able to switch to a more lucrative job and save enough money to buy a small RV trailer which will become my next home. Where it will be parked is unknown. An RV park would give me power, water, and internet. I really love having those things at hand, but; I could do without them just as I did while living in the minivan. It would just require more effort and planning.

I like living simply in my rented bedroom. A small RV trailer would be a little smaller than my room but it would have everything needed to live plus it would be mine. Nobody could tell me I had to vacate it because they wanted the space for a relative to move in. That has happened to me twice. Living simply in my case means I can move on a moments notice. With an RV trailer as a home I could leave in the time it would take to unplug everything, put things on the counter tops into boxes on the floor, and attach it to an SUV or truck. In a few days I could be in any part of the country. The simpler life is the more freedom I have. It's great.
Old 02-27-18, 11:17 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One time a policeman in Eugene Oregon came to my door in the late morning to tell me I couldn't park on the street beside the Walmart. He wouldn't have been there if not for the trash heap of an RV parked at the end of the street where the people had unpacked a ton of junk and left it on the grass between the sidewalk and street. Somehow those jerks felt it was OK to do that while their twenty year old Class A heap was parked there. Such people give people like me a bad name.

In Helena, Butte, Hollywood, Portland, and Monroe I was never bothered because I was hidden. I didn't hang out outside of the van. I didn't step into or out of the van side door if anybody was around. Most of the windows were painted black on the inside. They looked tinted from a distance. Light couldn't penetrate them. A thick black vinyl curtain separated the front seats from the rear of the van. Nobody knew I was there.

One Thanksgiving some people were going around bringing food to people living openly in their junky looking vehicles. Mine was one car behind a van with a high top roof. Those charitable people didn't come to my van because I was invisible. Even though they were living in that neighborhood and were familiar with the others parked on that street they didn't know I too was living on that street. I was very stealthy.

I stayed in my minivan for a little over two years. I worked in Hollywood for many months. Then tried Portland for a couple of months. From there I got a temporary job in Monroe Washington and remained there for three weeks before heading to Portland and then back to Hollywood. I got a job and would still be there if I could have bought a newer van. Unfortunately I couldn't prove I had a residence. Which meant I couldn't get car insurance. So the deal for the van I was intending to buy couldn't be completed.

The old van was dying so I quit my job and sold it. Living in Hollywood would have been too expensive in an apartment. So I returned home to Helena Montana to live in an uncluttered quiet safe place. I can go months without hearing any kind of siren. It's beautiful too. Plus the government isn't as insane as the one in California.

It is my hope that in a month or two I'll be able to switch to a more lucrative job and save enough money to buy a small RV trailer which will become my next home. Where it will be parked is unknown. An RV park would give me power, water, and internet. I really love having those things at hand, but; I could do without them just as I did while living in the minivan. It would just require more effort and planning.

I like living simply in my rented bedroom. A small RV trailer would be a little smaller than my room but it would have everything needed to live plus it would be mine. Nobody could tell me I had to vacate it because they wanted the space for a relative to move in. That has happened to me twice. Living simply in my case means I can move on a moments notice. With an RV trailer as a home I could leave in the time it would take to unplug everything, put things on the counter tops into boxes on the floor, and attach it to an SUV or truck. In a few days I could be in any part of the country. The simpler life is the more freedom I have. It's great.
This is the best post. I am glad you are doing well and your van setup was classic! I tried it but did not even have tinted windows I would just pick places I knew people did not go however sometimes it would seem I had a homing missile attached to me and I realized that it has to do with being in slightly commercial areas. Do you have bikes still or condensed down to just one?
Old 02-27-18, 02:01 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bp2k8
This is the best post. I am glad you are doing well and your van setup was classic! I tried it but did not even have tinted windows I would just pick places I knew people did not go however sometimes it would seem I had a homing missile attached to me and I realized that it has to do with being in slightly commercial areas. Do you have bikes still or condensed down to just one?
Right now I don't own a bicycle. The roads are icy and I've got a breathing problem right now. For some reason my body isn't absorbing oxygen as it should. New medications are being tried and perhaps it will be handled soon.

When spring comes I want to get a Kickbike. I really like the physical motion used to propel those more than bicycling. I used a Xootr for many years. I stopped using it because the tiny wheels got caught on a tall crack one time and I was injured in a fall. My reflexes weren't fast enough to prevent it. A Kickbike has bicycle size wheels which would easily roll over such sidewalk cracks and holes. https://www.kickbikeus.com/

One key to being stealthy is to have a nondescript vehicle like a clean minivan. Another way to remain hidden is to park near apartment buildings because new people come and go all the time in such a neighborhood. Nobody knows anybody. Plus parking in front of an apartment building doesn't bother anybody. Parking in front of somebody's house can draw attention if it's done often. Don't leave your vehicle in one spot. Even if you park in the same neighborhood regularly you should leave it every day just like everybody else does when they go to work. There are lots of other things that can be done to remain invisible but those are the important ones. If I eventually do get a small RV trailer such stealth parking will be impossible.
Old 02-27-18, 02:36 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Right now I don't own a bicycle. The roads are icy and I've got a breathing problem right now. For some reason my body isn't absorbing oxygen as it should. New medications are being tried and perhaps it will be handled soon.

When spring comes I want to get a Kickbike. I really like the physical motion used to propel those more than bicycling. I used a Xootr for many years. I stopped using it because the tiny wheels got caught on a tall crack one time and I was injured in a fall. My reflexes weren't fast enough to prevent it. A Kickbike has bicycle size wheels which would easily roll over such sidewalk cracks and holes. https://www.kickbikeus.com/

One key to being stealthy is to have a nondescript vehicle like a clean minivan. Another way to remain hidden is to park near apartment buildings because new people come and go all the time in such a neighborhood. Nobody knows anybody. Plus parking in front of an apartment building doesn't bother anybody. Parking in front of somebody's house can draw attention if it's done often. Don't leave your vehicle in one spot. Even if you park in the same neighborhood regularly you should leave it every day just like everybody else does when they go to work. There are lots of other things that can be done to remain invisible but those are the important ones. If I eventually do get a small RV trailer such stealth parking will be impossible.

That explains it I used to park in abandoned or empty back of grocery store type parking lots. I figured it was quaint enough however your advice makes more sense but man sometimes those apartment areas are noisy or too much commotion in and out! I think the minivan helps a lot too. I just could never find one for a good price as I care more about bikes I do tilt my hat to you as it truly does help improve ones mindset to learn these aspects.
Old 02-27-18, 10:10 PM
AlanK

One key to being stealthy is to have a nondescript vehicle like a clean minivan.
I think a small cargo van converted into a camper would be even better since cargo vans have fewer windows; usually only one rear window and maybe a small one on the passenger side.

It would be more difficult to live stealthily in conventional minivan because of all the windows. Sure, you can put up curtains, but that's a dead giveaway. With a converted cargo van all you'd have to do is block out the rear and side (if it has one) with something dark and it's unlikely anyone would notice anything unless they look closely, which they won't unless you leave it parked in the same spot for more than a couple days.

While I like the idea of long term living off a bike, there are just too many limitations in terms of where you can spend the night. It has to be either a legitimate campground or an undeveloped area where no one would care. This eliminates cities, towns, suburbs, and even many rural areas.

Last edited by AlanK; 02-27-18 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 03:09 AM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
I think a small cargo van converted into a camper would be even better since cargo vans have fewer windows; usually only one rear window and maybe a small one on the passenger side.
Cargo vans stick out in neighborhoods, especially the tall roof models now available. A beautiful conversion van would be noticed but people probably wouldn't wonder if it were parked in their neighborhood by thieves stealing things from houses. Passenger vans with blacked out windows would work better.

As I mentioned, I painted the glass on almost all of the windows behind the front seats. Only the side door window wasn't painted, but I put a custom fit plank in it at night. It fit very tightly and was painted black.
Old 02-28-18, 11:47 AM
AlanK

Cargo vans stick out in neighborhoods, especially the tall roof models now available. A beautiful conversion van would be noticed but people probably wouldn't wonder if it were parked in their neighborhood by thieves stealing things from houses. Passenger vans with blacked out windows would work better.

As I mentioned, I painted the glass on almost all of the windows behind the front seats. Only the side door window wasn't painted, but I put a custom fit plank in it at night. It fit very tightly and was painted black.
Hmm. Where I live (pacific northwest) cargo vans are pretty ubiquitous and no one seems to pay much attention to them. When I'm out and out about I see them all over the place, and since most of them are white they aren't distinct or conspicuous. [Funny how most people are less suspicious of white things.]

A converted minivan is more obvious. I see them regularly as well, and it's usually obvious someone is living in it because of the curtains, etc. It sounds like your situation was more stealthy.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a full-size cargo van, but something more compact like old Chevy Astro or Ford Transit Connect. Regardless of the vehicle, you just have to be smart about parking, and as I wrote don't leave it parked in one area too long otherwise people will figure out what you're doing.
Old 02-28-18, 01:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Can someone explain the advantages of living/hiding like a criminal on the lam? Good for hiding from bill collectors or what?
Old 02-28-18, 02:47 PM
rossiny

I often do wonder if I could sell off what I have and live simply.. Do some bike touring which I have been thinking about for a while.. Having even a small home like I do still requires upkeep. Also what do I do with my two cats..hehe..
Old 02-28-18, 11:12 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Can someone explain the advantages of living/hiding like a criminal on the lam? Good for hiding from bill collectors or what?
It's about living simply and cheaply and working as little as possible so I can focus on doing things I enjoy - hiking, biking, kayaking, traveling, etc. In many places it's simply too expensive to live a healthy, happy life because one has to work way too much. This is way van living is on the rise in many places.

I often do wonder if I could sell off what I have and live simply.. Do some bike touring which I have been thinking about for a while.. Having even a small home like I do still requires upkeep. Also what do I do with my two cats..hehe..
I'm in very much the same situation. I have a cat that is almost 19 I feel obligated to care for to a reasonable degree. He's doing OK, but as with most old cats he has fairly advanced kidney disease and I don't expect him to live beyond this year.

While he's been a great companion for about 17 years and I'll be sad after he's gone, if I'm being honest I'll also be relieved to be free of the responsibility, which will make it more viable to considering doing things like living out of a van and traveling.

As I wrote, I love the idea of just living off a bike for an extended period of time, but having a vehicle to sleep in gives you more flexibility and security. I guess you could get a hotel/motel for a few days since bikes are much less expensive than motorized vehicles.

Last edited by AlanK; 02-28-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 07:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
It's about living simply and cheaply and working as little as possible so I can focus on doing things I enjoy - hiking, biking, kayaking, traveling, etc. In many places it's simply too expensive to live a healthy, happy life because one has to work way too much. This is way van living is on the rise in many places.

I'm in very much the same situation. I have a cat that is almost 19 I feel obligated to care for to a reasonable degree. He's doing OK, but as with most old cats he has fairly advanced kidney disease and I don't expect him to live beyond this year.

While he's been a great companion for about 17 years and I'll be sad after he's gone, if I'm being honest I'll also be relieved to be free of the responsibility, which will make it more viable to considering doing things like living out of a van and traveling.

As I wrote, I love the idea of just living off a bike for an extended period of time, but having a vehicle to sleep in gives you more flexibility and security. I guess you could get a hotel/motel for a few days since bikes are much less expensive than motorized vehicles.
I suspected that working as little as possible and avoiding responsibilities were significant reasons. A need for extreme frugality is a logical result of making such choices.
Old 03-02-18, 03:25 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's about living simply and cheaply and working as little as possible so I can focus on doing things I enjoy - hiking, biking, kayaking, traveling, etc. In many places it's simply too expensive to live a healthy, happy life because one has to work way too much.
Exactly. Unless I win a lottery I won't ever have a lot of money. That's OK. Right now I need to earn about $800 per month to live. That pays for rent, food, vehicle insurance, with a little bit left over. I would prefer putting the rent into a vehicle or RV. Once the vehicle is paid off that money would be saved for other things and future vehicle repairs. There aren't many people who can live on that small amount of money. If I had children it would be impossible.

One great thing about simple living with few possessions is the ability to move quickly and inexpensively. I moved from Los Angeles to Montana for the price of renting a small SUV for three days. When I owned a house full of things it cost $3000 to go from New Orleans to Helena back in 2005.

When I was in Hollywood I met a guy who lived without shelter. He had a new Harley Davidson Sportster with a trunk bag. He put a tarp over the bike and himself at night. He slept on the ground. He ate at restaurants and mostly didn't want anything more. He had a small pension. He was given a tent and a small camp stove by somebody but he didn't use the tent very often. He really liked living his super simple lifestyle because he could just go anywhere in a moment's notice just like me in the van. He had owned a van the year before and preferred the motorcycle. Wow! I thought I lived simply but this guy has me beat. His cost of living was food, insurance, and his $435 per month motorcycle payment.

Take away the motorcycle and that guy would really just have a big backpack full of things. Of course he could only live that way on the west coast. Inland the weather would be to drastic. This also means somebody on a bicycle could do the same in the coastal area.

There is a guy on Youtube who lives in his minivan with two super expensive bicycles. He lives that way so he can travel to different states and ride his bikes. He has a blog and writes about his bicycle trips. One of his videos showed him being pulled over by a policeman. The cop stopped him because he recognized the guy from his blog. They had a great conversation about bicycling and touring. If only all police encounters could be so enjoyable.
Old 03-02-18, 04:26 PM
bert60

Bikes: toughroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly. Unless I win a lottery I won't ever have a lot of money. That's OK. Right now I need to earn about $800 per month to live. That pays for rent, food, vehicle insurance, with a little bit left over. I would prefer putting the rent into a vehicle or RV. Once the vehicle is paid off that money would be saved for other things and future vehicle repairs. There aren't many people who can live on that small amount of money. If I had children it would be impossible.

One great thing about simple living with few possessions is the ability to move quickly and inexpensively. I moved from Los Angeles to Montana for the price of renting a small SUV for three days. When I owned a house full of things it cost $3000 to go from New Orleans to Helena back in 2005.

When I was in Hollywood I met a guy who lived without shelter. He had a new Harley Davidson Sportster with a trunk bag. He put a tarp over the bike and himself at night. He slept on the ground. He ate at restaurants and mostly didn't want anything more. He had a small pension. He was given a tent and a small camp stove by somebody but he didn't use the tent very often. He really liked living his super simple lifestyle because he could just go anywhere in a moment's notice just like me in the van. He had owned a van the year before and preferred the motorcycle. Wow! I thought I lived simply but this guy has me beat. His cost of living was food, insurance, and his $435 per month motorcycle payment.

Take away the motorcycle and that guy would really just have a big backpack full of things. Of course he could only live that way on the west coast. Inland the weather would be to drastic. This also means somebody on a bicycle could do the same in the coastal area.

There is a guy on Youtube who lives in his minivan with two super expensive bicycles. He lives that way so he can travel to different states and ride his bikes. He has a blog and writes about his bicycle trips. One of his videos showed him being pulled over by a policeman. The cop stopped him because he recognized the guy from his blog. They had a great conversation about bicycling and touring. If only all police encounters could be so enjoyable.
do you have a link for that youtube channel it sounds interesting
Old 03-02-18, 04:31 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bert60
do you have a link for that youtube channel it sounds interesting
Here is the minivan video. He talks about his website too. So you can go there next.
Old 03-02-18, 05:34 PM
bert60

Bikes: toughroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks great vid thanks for sharing
Old 03-02-18, 11:52 PM
AlanK

If you want it keep it really simple you can just live out of a backpack. A few years ago I took the train to Salinas, then took a bus to Monterey, then to Big Sur. For the entire vacation (about 10 days) all I had was my backpacking equipment: tent, sleeping bag, pad, headlight, etc. I camped in Veterans Park in Monterey and Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground for $5/night. Both places had showers, so I was able to keep clean.

While it was a great 10 day experience I think it would be kinda difficult to live that way in the long term. Relying entirely on public/mass transit, walking and hitchhiking for transportation seems pretty dicey in the long-term, and limits where you can reliably go, unless time is absolutely no option. Also, while camping in inclement weather is fine occasionally, over the long it gets really tedious, so you have to make sure you to find locations where the weather is mostly hospitable. And with camping your location options are somewhat limited (usually not in cities, suburbs, towns, and it's dicey in many rural areas as well).

Then again the money saved by not having a vehicle (or even a bike) would allow you to get hotel room occasionally which is also nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.