Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone tour with a Gates belt drive?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone tour with a Gates belt drive?

Old 09-29-21, 06:04 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Tourist in MSN:
I was pretty sure that was the answer, I was mostly joking.

Yeah, that is where my Rohloff came from. I bought my CSS rims from SJS, came in the same box as the Nomad Mk II frame. Do not remember where I bought the spokes or nipples.
My wife calls my ride the money pit. It took me 5 tries to decide the current handle bar will work. I am on my fourth set of brakes. So I have now heard three stories of belt failures. Loose parts causing the belt to be damaged, the belt being to tight causing missing teeth. Van Duzer forcing a belt back on and it later broke. I agree belts and belt cogs and chainwheels are expensive but it works for me.
Old 10-06-21, 05:38 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Ryan Duzer is a YouTubing bike touring guy who had a Gates belt break on his Priority bike on a long off road tour. He has a good video, which includes a video call with the owner of Priority bikes, explaining what he likely did wrong that resulted in the break - video
Old 10-06-21, 12:35 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Ryan Duzer is a YouTubing bike touring guy who had a Gates belt break on his Priority bike on a long off road tour. He has a good video, which includes a video call with the owner of Priority bikes, explaining what he likely did wrong that resulted in the break - video here.
Those are two of the most annoying you tube personalities, but I persisted in watching because I have a Gates belt on my Jones Plus, and I have experiended the New Mexico mud.
It was so thick I couldn't even roll my bike, I had to push or drag it. Not fun. At least I didn't break my belt.

Now I am even more on the fence about belt vs. chain.

Thanks for posting that, it was informative, despite the commentaters.
Old 10-06-21, 03:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Those are two of the most annoying you tube personalities, but I persisted in watching because I have a Gates belt on my Jones Plus, and I have experiended the New Mexico mud.
It was so thick I couldn't even roll my bike, I had to push or drag it. Not fun. At least I didn't break my belt.
interesting, so not just me who always found that fellow to be rather "infomercially" with the whole presentation.
Reminds of that tall, super white teeth dude from on tv back in the early 90s. Motivational speaker type dude.

the antithesis of Iohan Gueorguiev.
Old 10-06-21, 03:48 PM
Rick

Van Duzer broke that belt due to his inability to follow the directions on proper belt instillation. I am not on the fence at all. I received my backup belt from Amazon last week and the box was mangled and taped closed with scotch tape. I returned it to Amazon. I am waiting for red belts to be back in stock for my backup belt.
Old 10-06-21, 04:38 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Duzer basically broke that belt. Chain would not have worked either in those conditions but more importantly, he just did not know...so his actions will surely change next time. What he did with the belt should be taken as an education but IMHO should not sway you away from getting a bike with Gates Belt drive.
Old 10-06-21, 06:51 PM
Rick

Duzer basically broke that belt. Chain would not have worked either in those conditions but more importantly, he just did not know...so his actions will surely change next time. What he did with the belt should be taken as an education but IMHO should not sway you away from getting a bike with Gates Belt drive.
Duzer was in a very stressful situation and that led to the mistakes that broke the belt. Some of his videos are entertaining but I Like Cyclinabout for info on internal gears and belts. Alee went near 20,000 miles before he snapped the belt on his Rohloff equipped adventure touring bike. As I stated before the belt braking problem has more to do with the improper mounting and tensioning by the bicycle owners. I like the advantages the belt has to offer and any of the so called disadvantages are not applicable to me.
Old 10-07-21, 08:13 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
the antithesis of Iohan Gueorguiev.
Exactly
Old 10-08-21, 08:52 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Not commenting on the belt, but I seriously doubt the comments about how chain wouldn't have worked. In my younger years I rode some of the worst conditions that Western Maryland, West Virginia, and Western Pennsylvainia had to offer. Basically the worst mud possible plus snow and ice. Chains and derailleurs worked anywhere we could keep tires turning in frames. I don't know if belts are similarly capable or not, but I am not buying that a chain wouldn't have worked in the same conditions.
Old 10-08-21, 07:41 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
ok

duly noted

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not commenting on the belt, but I seriously doubt the comments about how chain wouldn't have worked. In my younger years I rode some of the worst conditions that Western Maryland, West Virginia, and Western Pennsylvainia had to offer. Basically the worst mud possible plus snow and ice. Chains and derailleurs worked anywhere we could keep tires turning in frames. I don't know if belts are similarly capable or not, but I am not buying that a chain wouldn't have worked in the same conditions.