Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Weird vintage tech thread.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Weird vintage tech thread.

Old 11-29-21, 09:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
It wasn't as bad as you'd think.
As I recall, Bicycling road tested a Hypercycle recumbent back in the day and said heavy (emergency) braking was a thrill-seeking, death-defying event.
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-29-21, 09:45 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What's "weird" here? Schwinn made zillions of 1x5 bikes and people converted lots of these old bikes to single-speed or fixed.
With Shimano Front Freewheel System cranks? Really?
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-29-21, 11:28 PM
tcs
Palmer

I've seen these referred to as 'donkey bikes' or 'velocinos'.

Likes For tcs:
Old 11-30-21, 08:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
With Shimano Front Freewheel System cranks? Really?
Is it? I missed that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-30-21, 04:32 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Pederson Self-Engagement System - The calipers are on a spring loaded helical track. When the brake is applied, the resistance pulls the caliper in towards the rim, increasing the brake force.
P1010340 on Flickr
Suntour removed the front brake from the market due to lock ups potential and litigation risk.
Old 12-01-21, 04:48 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Likes For grant40:
Old 12-01-21, 05:32 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
Imagine threading those cables…
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 12-01-21, 05:34 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/afedda3b-79f6-44e6-af8b-f12d7bedd8da[/img]

That Trimble reminded me of these; very similar to Brent Trimble’s carbon monocoque MTB…
Oops, I must’ve done something funky (again) google Sbike in images and you’ll get there. If you want…
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 12-01-21, 06:16 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've seen these referred to as 'donkey bikes' or 'velocinos'.

This seems like a bike version of the VW bus, where your legs -- or in this case, your face -- is your first line of protection. Watch those potholes.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 12-01-21, 10:26 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Cottered front freewheel.

Old 12-01-21, 10:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Don't ask me - I haven't a clue. But it sure is weird:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-02-21, 06:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Lookes like the chain is doubled and the adjustment is the sliding of the bb on a shaft! Nice rear brake!
Did someone take this seriously?

Old 12-02-21, 06:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That is an very early 1890s Victor bicycle by the Overman Wheel Co. They were very popular in their day and extremely collectable to-day. Pneumatic tyres were the new technology and solid tyre proponents like Victor used used suspension forks in attempt to soften the ride and compete with pneumatic bicycles.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-02-21, 06:39 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
I've ridden a bike with solid tires once, so I completely understand the desire/need for a front suspension like that!

The bottom bracket arrangement is similar to a bike on display at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis. The whole bottom bracket is adjusted fore & aft as a way to tension the chain. It makes me wonder when horizontal dropouts were invented.

a couple of shots of the bike at the Museum of Transportation.....

I'm not sure why the manufacturer used radial spoking on the rear wheel. Tangential spoking was used on the earlier Ordinary bikes, so it existed when this bike was built.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-02-21, 06:44 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
FFS had its place in the cycling universe. Derailleur operation mystified a lot of folks who did could not grasp "You must be pedaling when you shift" and coordinate the movements. FFS solved that and was widespread at the time, found on several models of many U.S and Asian brands. Many of those bikes also featured Positron derailleurs, the granddaddy of SIS. Maybe not desirable high-end stuff, but it certainly simplified and improved the cycling experience for a whole lot of folks.
I assembled a ton of those bikes and when positron used a solid shift cable with continuous housing it worked quite well. It wasn't light or beautiful but it did work.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-02-21, 07:10 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
Timex Velo-Trak wristwatch/cycle computer. I had one of these. First seen at the last (I think) Atlantic City Interbike show, it struck me as a terrific idea. Take that as proof of my status as a leading reverse indicator. I was later able to buy one for $20 at K-Mart when they were dumped. I think I used it once before it broke.
I had one too that I bought at Nashbar for something like $15-20. I never took it out of the box. not sure why...
Old 12-02-21, 07:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by SJX426
Lookes like the chain is doubled and the adjustment is the sliding of the bb on a shaft! Nice rear brake!
Did someone take this seriously?
I don't believe that the chain is doubled, as that would requitre dual chainwheels and cogs, or at least a groove cut into them to accommodate a middle chain plate. However, they were very wide. Here's detail photo showing the width and Overman's hubs, with straight pull spokes that produced a cross pattern. Overman were quite inventive, They also develped hollow, aero rims and hollow, large diameter, bottom bracket spindles.
Old 12-02-21, 07:33 AM
T-Mar

Here's my favourite weird chain technology, the 1890s Simpson lever chain. I became aware of it in the 1970s, via the famous Toulouse-Lautrec poster. Originally, I thought that he had committed a faux pas and drawn the teeth on the chain, instead of the cogs and chainwheel. Only decades later did I discover that Toulouse-Lautrec was an avid cyclist who regularly attended competitions at the Paris velodromes and that his representation of the Simpson Chain was accurate.

Simpson claimed a mechanical advantage over traditional chains. The benefit reportedly came from driving at two different levels, at two different pitchs, as a result of the triangular links. The inner pins at the base of the triangle were driven by the chainwheel while the outer pins, at the peak of the triangle, drove the cog on the rear wheel.

Of course, these claims were the subject of much ridicule, Consequently, Simpson set up a series of match races for June 1896 in which he gave 10:1 odds for anybody using traditional chains that could beat his sponsored riders. The races, held at the Catford track in London, reportedly drew crowds of 12,000 to 20,000 spectators. All the eveents were distance races, preformed with pacing bicycles consisting of triplets, quadruples and quintuples (i.e three, four and five rider bicycles). Simpson prevailed but only because of the superiority of his team. The company would go bankrupt in 1898, when the bicycle boom went bust.

The poster depicts a similar 1896 event at the Vélodrome de la Seine in Paris. The Simpson chain would probably had been relegated to obscurity had it not been for this poster being produced by an artist of Toulous-Lautrec's stature. However, it merits attention beyond the artist and chain. In the back ground, upper left, is a depiction of what appears to be two bicycles with five riders on each (quintuplets). Of more interest is the solo cyclist in the foreground. It is Simpson sponsored rider Constant Huret, 1900 World Champion, and brother of André Huret, of wingnut and derailleur fame.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-02-21 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 07:37 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
Loads of fun stuff here:

The Bicycle Museum of Bad Ideas

In particular:
  • PMP Cranks

Superfast chains. Looks like it could use some help from those little blue pills...
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 12-02-21, 08:01 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Pederson Self-Engagement System - The calipers are on a spring loaded helical track. When the brake is applied, the resistance pulls the caliper in towards the rim, increasing the brake force.
P1010340 on Flickr
Suntour removed the front brake from the market due to lock ups potential and litigation risk.
How about 3 in one photo? I DO have the Pedersen SE Brake front version with Odessey Straddle Rods instead of cable on an SR Litage bonded aluminum fork. This is on a 1985 Cannondale SM 600 with 26" front wheel and 24" rear wheel.

Also have Bullseye Cranks. Maybe not weird, but kind of ahead of their time with 2-piece construction.

Last edited by Bianchi84; 12-02-21 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 12-02-21, 01:34 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Simpson claimed a mechanical advantage over traditional chains. The benefit reportedly came from driving at two different levels, at two different pitchs, as a result of the triangular links. The inner pins at the base of the triangle were driven by the chainwheel while the outer pins, at the peak of the triangle, drove the cog on the rear wheel.

that is one of the best crazy ideas in the history of bikes, imho!
It combines unnecessary mechanical complexity with a fairly ludicrous claim of improved performance. At least as good as oval chainrings, curved crank arms, etc.
For some reason, it brings to mind the amplifier with the knob that goes up to eleven.

I'd seen the part of The Dancing Chain that discusses it, but don't think I'd seen a modern photo of one. Very cool!

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-02-21, 01:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by martl
nice find

Taalking about silly early computers, i always loved the Ciclomaster II "Alti". As the name implies, it had an altimeter function. This was not done by measuring air pressure, as is common now, but worked in a mechanical way, where the *position* of some sort of pendulum was measured electronically,. elevation and climb rate were calculated based on measured speed and inclination.
I never had one but i'm told it did not work as precise as one would imagine

In the defense of whoever designed this, pendulums were/are not all that rare as a means of measuring slope. I used to deal with inclination sensors in my job, and was familiar with the current technology. In fact, I found an inclination sensor on the road while riding once! It must have fallen off a Klaus combine (a piece of farm equipment), and it used a pendulum in an oil bath. The oil just slowed the pendulum and made it less sensitive to mild vibration, bumps, etc. The pendulum was connected to a potentiometer, which provided a voltage that changed with the slope angle. Nothing fancy or expensive, but it did the job, more or less.

These have largely been replaced by solid state accelerometers that are fairly small and cheap. Surprisingly, GPS receivers seem to be cheap enough and accurate enough that most modern devices just keep track of their X, Y, and Z position, and can track the elevation gain by simple addition and subtraction.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-02-21, 02:02 PM
steelbikeguy

Have I mentioned the curved crank arm yet?
It may have been the first among the various schemes to vary the mechanical advantage as the cranks go around.
The concept, as I understand it, was that the crank would bend during the power portion of the crank stroke. The bending would cause the crank to get a bit longer, increasing the rider's leverage and allowing more power to be generated.... or something like that?
Like Biopace or the original Rotor crank with the cam driven rings, or the Powercam with the cams that changed the chainrings rotational position as the crank rotated (similar to the Rotor), there wasn't much data to support the claims, but it looked high tech and there was probably some sort of placebo effect.

The tandem that featured the cranks for both the captain and stoker (although the captain is in back, and the stoker is in front.

The tandem was built by the Ide company (or sold under the Ide name?) here in Peoria a long time ago!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-02-21, 03:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That is an very early 1890s Victor bicycle by the Overman Wheel Co. They were very popular in their day and extremely collectable to-day. Pneumatic tyres were the new technology and solid tyre proponents like Victor used used suspension forks in attempt to soften the ride and compete with pneumatic bicycles.
Cool, thanks! I saw this years ago at a swap meet and thought it was pretty interesting. Any ideas as to the function of the two small fixtures midway along the curve of the forks?

Wish I had a close-up of some of the details; for example, I can't quite make out exactly what the linkage in front of the head tube goes and if it's gear or brake related.

Shoulda given it a test ride

DD
Old 12-02-21, 04:10 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Man vs cobble: 0 - 1

Suspension bikes kicked butt in the few cobble races they participated in before they were banned.
Likes For tricky:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.