Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra Front Brake Rubbing Rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 02:21 PM
wild man walt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

A friend has a custom titanium Guru frame with a no-name carbon fork. The front brake defies staying in adjustment. She has taken it to several bike shops in town to try and have the front brake calipers centered. Whenever the problem of brake being off center and rubbing one the rim is "fixed," the adjustment only lasts for a few miles then becomes off center and begins rubbing on the rim again.

She has been riding with the quick release partially open so that the brake pads do not rub on the rim, not the ideal solution.

All my bikes are Old Skool with steel forks and Campy brakes that are centered with a 13mm cone wrench. I am thinking that applying maximum torque to the nut at the back of the brake is probably not a good idea since the fork is carbon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Walt
Old 01-03-22, 02:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If these are old single pull calipers then those were a problem sometimes. Various brands needed different things and how the bike manufacturer mounted them made a difference too.

Dual caliper should be as easy as can be. So if the bike shop mechanic couldn't do it, then you must not have the dual pivot brakes. Or you didn't see a real mechanic.

The tires wheels might be the real issue. Maybe the spokes are too loose. Or the wheel bearing wobbly.

Telling us the exact model and version of the brakes will help. Also a pic or two. But you'll have to post the images somewhere else and obfuscate the URL and put it in the plain text of your message.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-03-22 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-03-22, 02:44 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
They can be very tricky and require a few tweeks after use before they stay centered. Getting the torque just right on the rear nut is key and using a wrench on that nut to literally pull them back into position each time they move and then adding just a tad more torque to it, eventually they end up centered and stop moving. With that said, I'm assuming they're not dual pivot and simply lower end brakes. I've tweeked on friend's bikes with one pad worn down and the other looking like new because of what your friend is going through. Unless it is causing a lot of drag, it's only frustrating and not overly serious. Loosening the QR to accommodate the dragging pad is much more serious. Good luck. My advice is simply carry the right size wrench with and keep playing with it till you get it right.
Old 01-03-22, 02:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Both single and dual pivot versions used a star washer/spacer between the mounting bolt/center bolt and the fork crown. This helps to "dig into" the two parts to better hold the rotational effort to center the pads in the rim. If this star washer is missing the mounting nut will need to be REALLY tight to hold, (and with some carbon forks this is not a good idea). If the cable casing is too short it will want to rotate/pull the caliper off center with each application of the brake. If a dual pivot version the relative motion and arrangement of the two arms comes into play. One side will move further than the other side (different length of the arms above their pivots) so for the pads to contact the rim at the same time (what my goal in "centering" the brake) means that when not being applied the pads are not the same distance from their sides of the rim.

Of course a true rim, not sloppy loose bearing adjustments both are assumed to not be at play too. And that the caliper's pivots are freely working. If a pivot wasn't free moving that pad might not retract fully. Andy
Old 01-04-22, 09:45 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by wild man walt
Hello,

A friend has a custom titanium Guru frame with a no-name carbon fork. The front brake defies staying in adjustment. She has taken it to several bike shops in town to try and have the front brake calipers centered. Whenever the problem of brake being off center and rubbing one the rim is "fixed," the adjustment only lasts for a few miles then becomes off center and begins rubbing on the rim again.

She has been riding with the quick release partially open so that the brake pads do not rub on the rim, not the ideal solution.

All my bikes are Old Skool with steel forks and Campy brakes that are centered with a 13mm cone wrench. I am thinking that applying maximum torque to the nut at the back of the brake is probably not a good idea since the fork is carbon.

Anyone have any suggestions?
My first suggestion would be to find a different bike shop. The "fix" they applied appears to be "just push the brake over" without actually moving the brake body like you did with your Campy brakes and the cone wrench. I keep my brake bolt tight enough so that I can move the brake body with strong hand force. That way the brake can get knocked off center without being damaged (like in a crash, in the car trunk, etc.). Also, she should consider riding with the brakes set a little farther from the rim. You get the most effective brake modulation when you can just about pull the levers all the way to the bar. Many people ride with their brakes set for "instant grab" and that results in poor modulation.
Old 01-04-22, 12:50 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The length of the cable housing is important. If it's too short or too long it will tend to push the brakes one way or the other.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-04-22, 12:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If the rear nut is too long the threads may be bottoming out before the calliper is tight
Old 01-04-22, 01:15 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It's likely that the material at the crown of the fork through which the bolt runs is aluminum, not carbon. The legs are likely carbon legs bonded to aluminum crown and dropouts.

Other things to check (most mentioned above):

1. That the 'nut' is not bottoming out on a too-long bolt and preventing it from clamping properly
2. That the wheel is in repeatably straight (axle fully seeted in the dropouts on both sides), QR springs on the correct direction and not throwing things out of whack
3. Cable is not too short or significantly too long
Old 01-04-22, 01:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Do they transport the bike with the front wheel off? Maybe they are knocking it out of alignment or not getting it centered before they shut the quick release.