Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My new Merckx is cursed.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My new Merckx is cursed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 07:06 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
My new Merckx is cursed.

I've ran into several problems building my new frame. A few issues I've never ran into before. Not to mention delayed shipping and a few things breaking, my fault but we won't get into that. I finally finished yesterday and took my first ride today. I rode 20 miles into a headwind, looking forward for another 20 with a tailwind. As soon as I turned around a spoke broke, causing the wheel to become totally out of true. I unhooked the brake and slowly crawled my way home. Of course it was the rear wheel, driveside. 30 years of riding and racing I have never broken
A spoke.What next?
Old 06-26-16, 07:18 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
That sucks but at least it hasn't hurt you (yet?), I have one that is possessed.
Old 06-26-16, 07:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Just do not ever say, "it cannot get any worse", trust me it can and will.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-26-16, 07:24 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Name it "Christine"? ;-). That does suck though. I had the same thing happen with a Trek 710 I dumped lots of money into...new paint, canti studs, fenders, racks and no matter what I did, something was always breaking, coming undone, rubbing or just plain not working the way it should. Drove me insane. After I threw the chain on the TA cranks for the umpteenth time, I lost my cool and sold the frame/fork on ebay. I got $183 for something I spent $600+ on and was happy again.
Old 06-26-16, 09:49 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Nahh, just jinxed. A jinx will pass while a curse is forever. Think of the broken spoke as the grand finale.

I have a Merckx Century frame that seemed like a really good deal at the time, but the chrome is way worse than it seemed in the pictures. Also had - first time for me- jacked up threads on the shifter bosses and derailleur hanger. I had to buy taps to get those sorted out. I still feel like it will be a sweet bike when I get it up and running.

Edit: Just saw your bike in the Merckx thread. That is nice!

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 06-26-16 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 10:05 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
same thing happened to my davidson when i got it. it's the only time i've broken a spoke.

fortunately, i found another bike to flip that needed a wheelset, and built new wheels for the davidson.

when does n+1 not help? B^)
Old 06-27-16, 04:38 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
First broken spoke in how many years? 30? You lead a charmed life. Or at least you did until now.
Old 06-27-16, 05:31 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Never broken a spoke (30+ years into the sport/hobby). I build my own wheels and I have always used DT, Swiss spokes and quality hubs (Mavic and Campag) and rims (Mavic, Campag, etc). Four cross, three cross, two, radial and combinations of them. I am a roadie and I have often wondered about how people break their spokes on road bikes. I guess chain stepping over the last cog and getting tangled up there would be a disaster (never happened to me though). What other causes are there (still talking road)? Overtensioned spokes?

Edit - by the way - I am a heavy guy and coming from powersports originally. I am not easy on the material.

Last edited by styggno1; 06-27-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 05:40 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by styggno1
Never broken a spoke (30+ years into the sport/hobby). I build my own wheels and I have always used DT, Swiss spokes and quality hubs (Mavic and Campag) and rims (Mavic, Campag, etc). Three cross, two, radial and combinations of them. I am a roadie and I have often wondered about how people break their spokes on road bikes. I guess chain stepping over the last cog and getting tangled up there would be a disaster (never happened to me though). What other causes are there (still talking road)? Overtensioned spokes?

The plenteous, sharp edged pot holes we are so blessed with here in all 50 states, just let your self lose concentration for a minute, then the jolt when you hit one of them, and that sharp pinging noise the breaking spoke makes, tells you that you well and truly just screwed the pooch on this one. A nice curb will do the trick, as you swerve to avoid the loose child riding their training wheeled bike in the roadway.

And, I am sure your suggestion about over-tensioned spokes would work really well, also.

Bill

Old 06-27-16, 05:53 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Haha! I understand. We do have them (pot holes, curbs and children) over here too. All of them concentrated to the citys though. And there I would never let myself lose concentration for a hundred of a second. Where most om my biking take (more of took - nowadays) place none of them are a problem. Getting a quality ride takes me outside "the danger zone" and to more rural areas - where the roads are excellent here. Sweden is on the 194: th place when it comes to countries and density of population - when getting out of a city there is a lot of space and good roads.
Old 06-27-16, 05:57 AM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
W, TH, F last week on commute home 3x flats on 3x bikes (after about 5k worth riding with no road flats). More glass roadside than past years, but things do love to come in 3s!

Had a very similar thing happen on the stock fuso I picked up last year, hardly ridden does not equate possible problems, in my case riding a racing wheel on 190lbs. Cracked the eyelet and entire spoke started to pull through (after bombing down a huge hill). Had the LBS rebuild the hub on a much better rim for my needs and no worries since.
Old 06-27-16, 05:59 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Sounds like heaven to me, I live in a rural, agricultural area, and it varies between newly, well paved roadways to horrid older roads with loose gravel, and exposed sharp edged aggregates, that give the Belgian and French cobbles a run for their money. I wish that our country would wake up about infrastructure deterioration, (said the civil engineer) but I also want world peace, and I don't see either one happening any time soon, if ever.

Bill