Search
Notices
Hawaii and Pacific Islands Regional Forum Hawaii, Polynesia, Tahiti, etc.

Relocating to Ohau.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 01:23 PM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Relocating to Ohau.

My wife and I are relocating to Oahu in March of 2020. She accepted a position at Queens Medical Center. I am happily retired, so I follow where she wants to work. We currently live in Barbados in the Lesser Antilles of the Caribean. It is a lovely place to ride albeit on the other side of the road. Drivers are courteous, and that is extended to bicycles. Of course there are always exceptions. I have read some Oahu posts and I am not familiar with the roads and the place names yet. I would like some overview of what I am getting into. When I get there I will be on a folding bicycle, and will be looking to get another bicycle, as I will not be shipping my bike from Barbados, until my wife gets a feel for the new job, and lets me know, if she wants to stay. We do not have a car and our goal is always not to have a car, so I will be cycling to do all the errands that most people do in a car. I am also interested in recreation riding.
Old 12-14-19, 05:13 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
This may help:
https://www.bikeforums.net/hawaii-pa...situation.html
Old 12-16-19, 07:42 AM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Yes, I did read that thread, and it sounds very different from what I am used to. We don't have bike lanes here, and people are courteous to cyclists for the most part. I ride from one end of the island to the other and never encounter any problems. I am accustomed to tire belt flats, as people wear their tires thin here also. When my wife would work in florida sometimes, I would ride and their bike lanes were littered with everything, and pretty much unusable. Poor civility and moronic behavior seems to be part of the American mind, but I did not expect that in Hawaii.

Last edited by Trotsky; 12-16-19 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Grammar sense