Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 11-23-21, 12:43 PM
Retromod

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

My Stratos, Panasonic and Nagasawa.

Last edited by Retromod; 11-23-21 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For Retromod:
Old 11-23-21, 08:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Took the ol' Fairdale Parser out for a spin yesterday. This thing can do it all: urban, gravel, CX, whatever.

Old 11-24-21, 06:50 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retromod

My Stratos, Panasonic and Nagasawa.
I'm curious about the front brake setup you have on the Nagasawa. It seems you would need both brake levers to apply pressure to the front brake? Is there a technical reason for doing this? I haven't come across this kind of setup before.
Likes For Jose R:
Old 11-25-21, 02:08 AM
Retromod

Originally Posted by Jose R
I'm curious about the front brake setup you have on the Nagasawa. It seems you would need both brake levers to apply pressure to the front brake? Is there a technical reason for doing this? I haven't come across this kind of setup before.
The adapter I have used is from JTek engineering. It allows me to apply the front brake independently with left or right lever.
Im not running a rear brake so didn’t want a redundant lever.
Likes For Retromod:
Old 11-25-21, 08:02 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
The adapter I have used is from JTek engineering. It allows me to apply the front brake independently with left or right lever.
Im not running a rear brake so didn’t want a redundant lever.
And it looks like you use the same front caliper adapter on your Naga and Stratos too. Have the same on my own sw8 phiksie...

There is another poster here who has a few bikes made from NJS frames - I should remember who but unfortunately I ain't that sharp anymore. I s'pose he'll be along ...

Hope you don't mind my mentioning that your builds are...errr...eclectic, to say the least. Should make an interesting discussion, if you'd care to. My up-until-now regular rider is a made-in-Italy track(tarck?) frame that I originally insisted on building-up full-bore Italian. That was cool but as I replaced parts over the years - it somehow morphed into a weird(?) multi-national mix

Ride safe and enjoy them purdy bikes of yours and Happy Thanksgiving everybody...

Last edited by IAmSam; 11-25-21 at 11:30 AM. Reason: ooops...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 11-25-21, 08:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,573 Posts
The Fairdale and Nagasawa are liiiiiit. Would ride.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-25-21, 11:30 AM
Retromod

Appreciate the reply. As much as I like the all NJS look, we have to run brakes in the UK to comply with law so for me the full njs look is already compromised. I also ride long distances and the njs bars aren’t comfortable.
Im also running the front brake adapter on the Nagasawa but it’s not as visible because I spray painted it with black etch primer. Wasn’t sure wether it would work but pleased with the result.
The Stratos was my first njs frame and I just wanted a classic look with silver components, the Ofmega cranks came free in a bargain buy. Built the wheels up with Miche track hubs and Araya rims and it rides nice.
The Panasonic is a keirin custom build from the Panasonic Ordering System. It’s a training frame built for a keirin rider for road training, as the rules for brakes in Japan are the same as UK. Hubs are Mack built into Araya rims. It’s Tange 2 tubing so slightly more robust for the roads. It’s my go to for riding our potholed roads over here.
The Nagasawa is my dream frame. I appreciate some won’t like the build, but I wanted it to be different. The stem is a Mutant and couldn’t believe it when I found it on EBay for Ł50. The cranks are BLB Super Pista, pretty inexpensive as cranks go but look real good. Hubs are Harmony track from the Ukraine, I built them into H Plus Son shallow rims. Finished it three weeks ago and haven’t ridden it yet. It’s getting packed into a bike box and taken to Spain, where I’ll ride it in the sun until I’m too old too ride anymore.
Ride safe all.
Old 12-05-21, 05:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Recently I changed the bar setup on the RockHopper by lowering the touring bars and that is working quite well. The bars are in the normal touring orientation and have a drop of a bit over two inches below the saddle where the brake levers meet the grips.

i had been pondering a similar switch on the road bike. On Saturday morning I got inspired to do it, but, because of the taller frame and limits of the 150mm stems I have on hand, I had to flip the bars into the “moustache bar” orientation to get a reasonable amount of drop.

So I went with it and also used road brake levers in the moustache bar orientation. These bars are 22.2mm clamp but luckily I also have 22.2mm clamps for my Weinmann non-aero brake levers. The drop is a bit more than I want, about 3 3/4”, so I’m going to get a 150mm Control Tech stem like I have on the RockHopper and use a quill adapter. That will allow enough stem height to get the bars back to a similar 2.5” drop or so.

Even as it stands, I had two rides this weekend and no big comfort complaints. It’s just a matter of trade offs between optimal height for various sitting and standing positions.

So, yeah, I think this is good.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 12-05-21 at 05:15 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-07-21, 01:40 PM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Airolg (Gloria Milano) dinglespeed rat bike, very nice geometry, bike just flyes.
My favorite part is the condorino style handlebar.
It is getting new wheels and tyres at the moment, also a new crankset...

Likes For Nikola88:
Old 12-08-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
What caliper adapters are those? It looks really clean.
Old 12-08-21, 04:44 AM
Retromod

Originally Posted by Lazyass
What caliper adapters are those? It looks really clean.
They work in the same way as quill stems clamping up into the fork.
Available from Alex cycles and Track Supermarket.
Likes For Retromod:
Old 12-09-21, 06:13 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikola88
Airolg (Gloria Milano) dinglespeed rat bike, very nice geometry, bike just flyes.
It is getting new wheels and tyres at the moment, also a new crankset...

Nice set up!
Old 12-09-21, 07:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikola88

I do like condorino handlebars. I had a set on an old Italian city bike; the narrow width is perfect for weaving through tight spaces. I gave the bike to my son when he went to college, and it was stolen there.
Old 12-10-21, 11:50 PM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I do like condorino handlebars. I had a set on an old Italian city bike; the narrow width is perfect for weaving through tight spaces. I gave the bike to my son when he went to college, and it was stolen there.
I love the cafe racer looks of the condorino, these nos mirafiori bar and stem combo were bouth from italy on ebay, if you are interested search by using "manubrio condorino", although shipping can get expensive with italians, italy is 30 miles north from me and quotes are the same as ordering from japan or usa...
ALso the width is really narrow so I machined some extension plugs from aluminium to get the overall handlebar size to be about 520mm
Old 12-11-21, 08:21 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Sneek peek...

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 12-12-21, 03:11 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Project Mayhem SS done for now.....

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 12-12-21, 07:34 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Learning and seeing so much about this beautiful topic here on this forum helps me appreciate cycling, and this aesthetic of single speed and fixed gear.

I commute daily on a steel Jamis Dragon One. It's pretty heavy, especially with the accessories I need and use. I haven't weighed it. It's just my ride to work, and I love it.

Compared to the elegant vintage bikes on the forum this bike is humble.

The chrome steel Soma Eagle handlebar is an unusual component. It's been on there since the build up about 5 years ago. A few stem changes were needed to get the right positioposition.
The Eagle could be compared to a Jones bar perhaps. It took a couple of years to get used to using the "horns". My initial impression was that position was useless. I was very wrong. I've adapted to use them like a riding on the hoods or scooting forward for a nice flat stretch, especially if there's a tailwind, to spin up a high cadence.

The bike has XT hydraulic on the front and Deore mechanical in the rear.

Recently, at the beginning of autumn, I put Schwalbe Century white wall/green rubber tires on it. These aren't light, but they have a reflective stripe, were cheap, and give the ride a personality that makes me want to pedal.

The metal front basket is attached to a Salsa Fargo fork. I usually have a small bungee cargo net on it. This has proven to be very useful on commutes. It also serves as a place to put stuff where it rests at work.

Some parts: Axiom rear rack, vintage White Industries Novato bottom bracket, Paul single speed rear hub, H+Son Hydra rear rim, Suntour 888 dingle freewheel, Thomson layback seatpost, Brook B17 saddle.

When the front basket is loaded high, I put the headlamps on the horns for visibility.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 12-13-21, 08:20 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Sorcerer

The chrome steel Soma Eagle handlebar is an unusual component. It's been on there since the build up about 5 years ago. A few stem changes were needed to get the right positioposition.
The Eagle could be compared to a Jones bar perhaps. It took a couple of years to get used to using the "horns". My initial impression was that position was useless. I was very wrong. I've adapted to use them like a riding on the hoods or scooting forward for a nice flat stretch, especially if there's a tailwind, to spin up a high cadence.
Yeah, I was noticing that you get similar riding positions to what I have with touring bars and a 150mm stem on the RockHopper. The grip positions are similar and then the Eagle horns are about where I would grip the forward bends in front of the levers. I really like bars that have that long range front to back. The full range has uses both seated and standing. I even make use of an intermediate position where my fingers grip under the fixed part of the lever. It’s all good!

Otto
Old 12-13-21, 06:19 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Learning and seeing so much about this beautiful topic here on this forum helps me appreciate cycling, and this aesthetic of single speed and fixed gear.

I commute daily on a steel Jamis Dragon One. It's pretty heavy, especially with the accessories I need and use. I haven't weighed it. It's just my ride to work, and I love it.

Compared to the elegant vintage bikes on the forum this bike is humble.

The bike has XT hydraulic on the front and Deore mechanical in the rear.

Recently, at the beginning of autumn, I put Schwalbe Century white wall/green rubber tires on it. These aren't light, but they have a reflective stripe, were cheap, and give the ride a personality that makes me want to pedal.

The metal front basket is attached to a Salsa Fargo fork. I usually have a small bungee cargo net on it. This has proven to be very useful on commutes. It also serves as a place to put stuff where it rests at work.

Some parts: Axiom rear rack, vintage White Industries Novato bottom bracket, Paul single speed rear hub, H+Son Hydra rear rim, Suntour 888 dingle freewheel, Thomson layback seatpost, Brook B17 saddle.

When the front basket is loaded high, I put the headlamps on the horns for visibility.
That's a nice "do-all-er." Weight issues are for weenies.
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 12-14-21, 05:20 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
That is the Nitto B809...

Edit: I should note that I narrowed the bars by about 6cm...
I ended up getting the same Nitto B809 bar as yours, just find it abit too long, did you narrowed yours by 6cm each side or 3cm each side?
Old 12-14-21, 06:20 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
I ended up getting the same Nitto B809 bar as yours, just find it abit too long, did you narrowed yours by 6cm each side or 3cm each side?
actually after measuring the Yoshida Champ Grip which is 16cm, I think you cutted 3cm each side.
Likes For NDL:
Old 12-26-21, 10:47 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Happy Holidays to the group!

Old 12-30-21, 09:30 AM
AJ1515

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Current set up of the Ti fixed gear (Aphelion 1985). Not convinced about the manufacturing origin, but damn, this thing remains awesome to ride. Whoever did the actual frame welding did a bang on job.

Likes For AJ1515:
Old 12-31-21, 03:20 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my 2013 SE Lager that I bought yesterday. I gotta say, I'm impressed with this bike. I have a few changes in mind. I've already put this saddle on it.

Last edited by Drummerboy1975; 12-31-21 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For Drummerboy1975:
Old 01-01-22, 01:25 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

OK here’s the update on the Schwinn after getting a stem that gets the bar clamp a bit lower. Now I can run the touring bars in the normal upright way and still have reasonable riding position.

Right now I have the forward bends about level and the bar ends down about one inch. I have about an inch and a half of additional drop possible before the stem is right down on the headset, but this seems to be a reasonable setting.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.