Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Padded shorts?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Padded shorts?

Old 08-28-21, 10:07 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Padded shorts?

I am talking about the undergarment shorts, I have a long ride so Im going to try wearing a pair especially since the bike im choosing has a very hard saddle. Does anyone here swear by them or are they something that doesnt help or hinders you in any way?
Old 08-29-21, 11:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You could buy a pair of regular cycling shorts and cover up your modesty with some other shorts. Look at Pearl Izumi's website and others. They make loose fitting shorts with a chamois that you might feel less MAMIL'ly in.

However if you are new to the saddle, then you'll have some pains while your butt adjusts whether you use a pad or not. I use to do 100 mile rides comfortably in unpadded shorts on hard saddles. However I've since embraced the MAMIL look.
Old 08-29-21, 02:36 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
I tried a pair of padded cycling underwear, after reading a good review of them on this site. I have not been disappointed. And they are not expensive. Link: Amazon.com: Przewalski Mens Cycling Underwear Shorts 3D Padded Bike Undershorts Bicycle MTB Liner Shorts with Non-Slip Leg Grip : Sports & Outdoors
Old 08-29-21, 03:56 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
I have tried them today I've had a few but never used them, and it was a long ride. No pain! Even on a hard seat.
Old 08-29-21, 04:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
It's a myth that there are seats that are comfortable. And some seats are harder than others and that's for sure. Chimouse padded bike shorts rule. They may not help allot but they do in fact help and any little bit can be allot after a long ride...

I wear mine under long leg swim trunks after removing the inner swim trunk lining. Swim trunk material is very sturdy and the crotch holds up to seat stress...
Old 09-27-21, 10:27 AM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As I ride more each season, I notice less of a need to wear them even on longer rides. But, it is all about what makes you comfortable on your bike
Old 09-28-21, 11:43 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
It's a myth that there are seats that are comfortable. And some seats are harder than others and that's for sure. Chimouse padded bike shorts rule. They may not help allot but they do in fact help and any little bit can be allot after a long ride...

I wear mine under long leg swim trunks after removing the inner swim trunk lining. Swim trunk material is very sturdy and the crotch holds up to seat stress...
Huh... I guess I have simply been living the myth then. My seat is comfortable, all day, even on weeks long tours, even on 70 mile days. No padded shorts. I guess I will simply have to adjust to the fact according to you, that is impossible.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-28-21, 11:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Huh... I guess I have simply been living the myth then. My seat is comfortable...
Man... That is wonderful... Often I wonder if its the seat or my Ass that's getting broken in... Of course if you are using a Brooks Saddle then its another matter altogether... Ha
Old 09-28-21, 04:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's the ass that gets broken in. When one sits on a saddle, flesh is compressed. This results in low oxygenation in said tissue, which results in pain and can eventually result in cell death. Fortunately, we have a built-in mechanism to cope with that and which responds to training, i.e. temporary reduction in tissue oxygen content. Thus as we train our butts, we can gradually ride for longer periods Too high a pressure in a small area or too much friction can prevent this adaptation. Thus individual saddle fit makes a difference.

Padded shorts spread out the pressure. As above, some adapted individuals can dispense with the padding and do fine.
Old 09-28-21, 06:10 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by zandoval
Man... That is wonderful... Often I wonder if its the seat or my Ass that's getting broken in... Of course if you are using a Brooks Saddle then its another matter altogether... Ha
Old 09-28-21, 06:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Yes, it's the same thing. Brooks riders think they are breaking the saddle in, which is a fine way to look at it, as the result is the same. Well, not exactly. If you don't ride your Brooks all winter, isn't it a minor issue in the spring? That's what I notice in my group. The really good thing about a Brooks is that they are so slick that they prevent the friction which negates the body's ability to respond to that oxygen deprivation. So there is something to it. That said, if you have no upper body motion when you ride, you don't need special friction prevention and can probably ride without chamois cream on any well-fitting saddle. I ride with a dedicated Brooks rider who really can't ride other saddles. On his tandem, he rocks the bike so much that he gives his stoker saddle sores. He's a really strong downstroke pedal pounder. We call him the "pedal bot." I dunno, I just enjoy digressions.
Old 09-29-21, 09:35 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes, it's the same thing. Brooks riders think they are breaking the saddle in, which is a fine way to look at it, as the result is the same. Well, not exactly. If you don't ride your Brooks all winter, isn't it a minor issue in the spring? That's what I notice in my group. The really good thing about a Brooks is that they are so slick that they prevent the friction which negates the body's ability to respond to that oxygen deprivation. So there is something to it. That said, if you have no upper body motion when you ride, you don't need special friction prevention and can probably ride without chamois cream on any well-fitting saddle. I ride with a dedicated Brooks rider who really can't ride other saddles. On his tandem, he rocks the bike so much that he gives his stoker saddle sores. He's a really strong downstroke pedal pounder. We call him the "pedal bot." I dunno, I just enjoy digressions.
My B17 definitely did break in, it gives more now than it did when new. Mine is a "Special" though, and I am told its leather was a bit stiffer initially than a standard model. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. I do not have any real issues after not riding it for a few months. It just feels good. The Brooks definitely does break in, so it isn't simply a matter of breaking in your butt.

As for breaking in one's butt, yes, if you are new to riding, or haven't ridden in a long while, you will need some time to get your rear in shape. That being said, I don't have an issue with the Brooks after a Winter of not riding.
I will say again here, as I do on most threads concerning seats, and the B17 especially, the majority of "seat" issues is due to a too high seat height, two much reach, or a combination of both.
Old 10-03-21, 01:53 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Re: trying padded shorts - I say go for it. Get a good quality pair. I have 3x pairs of Canari padded shorts and they work well for me. I had 1 pair for a few years and washed them between rides. Then I was prepping for a multi-day trip and got 2 more pairs. They changed the model, but they are nearly identical. They work well for me.

The saddle on my big touring bike (Surly Disk Trucker with 700c wheels/56cm frame) is a Brooks Flyer Special. I tried riding the saddle for a few months without padded shorts and tried to let my butt get used to it (braking both the saddle and my butt in). On longer day rides (above about 40mi or so) saddle soreness became a big issue. When I went to padded cycling shorts I tried a few pairs on at a shop that had a good selection and settled on the Canari's. I felt they were on the expensive side, but what was important to me was fit, performance, and quality and I am real happy with how they have turned out - which is why I got 2 more pairs of pretty much the same thing instead of looking elsewhere.

When my butt is in shape I can do day rides as far as I want to go with the shots and saddle alone. Recently I've been doing a few over-night runs 20mi back to back and the first time I did that my butt wasn't in shape so I used chamois cream on day 2. Since then I've been fine without. On multi-day tours I would be applying chamois cream daily.

Everyone is different. Everyone's fitment to any particular saddle is different. And everyone's ability to have their butt get used to any particular saddle is different. So there is no blanket 1 size fits all answer to this. The best thing is to take suggestions and try them yourself.

I agree, in part, with the post earlier that mentioned there is no such thing as a comfortable saddle. Why only "in part" is that doesn't apply to everyone. Some people will fit that category of not finding a "comfortable saddle", others are able to. In my case, the saddle alone on my bike isn't "comfortable" for long. I have only rarely rode it without bike shorts since I started wearing bike shorts. The combination of bike shorts and the saddle, for me, is much more comfortable, but I still get saddle soreness, I assume from abrasion. That is where the chamois cream comes in - it takes that last "edge" off to allow back-to-back days riding.

Padded saddles are good for not needing bike shorts with them. However, where you loose the advantage is if you spend a lot of time in the saddle riding - like if you are doing 40+ miles a day. The reason is, although the padding might seem "more comfortable", it is giving your rear end too much cushion to abrade against. For a short commute in your work clothes that might not matter, but try to do that all day long and you'll hit a wall. That is where harder saddles and good padded bike shorts come in - the abrasion is kept way down as the bike shorts slide pretty easy against the hard saddle, at the same time providing more cushion.