Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The crazies have come to MN

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The crazies have come to MN

Old 12-29-21, 06:41 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Likes For GhenghisKahn:
Old 12-29-21, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn
I have no interest in e-bikes, but that meme sucks. If you're going to troll, at least be slightly funny.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-30-21, 03:10 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have no interest in e-bikes, but that meme sucks. If you're going to troll, at least be slightly funny.
You've made me question every life decision I've ever made.
Old 12-30-21, 05:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn
You've made me question every life decision I've ever made.
blah blah blah
Old 12-30-21, 02:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by macstuff
There is a showdown building in Tucson.
Our 100 mile "Loop" is clearly marked no motorized vehicles. But people buy a 1k+ e-bike and think it came with a ticket to the Loop. It did not.
I only frequent a small 10-15 mile section on a regular basis and I've seen bloody accidents and screaming matches.
Two things about it get my goat.
E-bike buyers denying that e-bikes are motorized vehicles
Fat and otherwise completely out of shape people buying an e-bike and now they consider themselves the up and coming TDF class.

E-bike popularity with the couch class will EXPAND the available sizes for spank-dex though.
Come to terms that ebikes are regulated in your state as bicycles:
https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/..._AZ_2020-1.pdf
Old 12-30-21, 05:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by trailangel
Come to terms that ebikes are regulated in your state as bicycles:
https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/..._AZ_2020-1.pdf
Read the thing you linked more carefully. That's only true on roads. AZ appears to be more restrictive of ebikes on paths than the states I ride in.
Old 01-01-22, 07:07 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
These issues with e-bikes seems to be a universal problem. This cyclist in Switzerland sees much of the same problems we see here in the states.

Old 01-05-22, 05:42 PM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One day I'll ask one of the riders I see on my local bicycle path why they spent so much on an e-bike when they could just stay home and watch a Gopro video from an actual bicycle rider. It is probably about the same amount of exercise.
Old 01-06-22, 09:52 AM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shmily_dana
One day I'll ask one of the riders I see on my local bicycle path why they spent so much on an e-bike when they could just stay home and watch a Gopro video from an actual bicycle rider. It is probably about the same amount of exercise.
Not true.

https://www.treehugger.com/study-fin...-bikes-4857418

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...9019821930017X

https://electrek.co/2019/08/11/elect...than-cyclists/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6711045/
Old 01-06-22, 10:59 AM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on my observation of e-bike users I've seen on my local multi-use path, I am dubious they are getting the same amount of exercise. I don't see how they are getting exercise by not turning their cranks. I'll admit I've not followed every rider on their entire rides. But the couple I saw the other day were coasting into a head wind.
Old 01-06-22, 11:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Based on my observation of e-bike users I've seen on my local multi-use path, I am dubious they are getting the same amount of exercise. I don't see how they are getting exercise by not turning their cranks. I'll admit I've not followed every rider on their entire rides. But the couple I saw the other day were coasting into a head wind.
If asked, some of the e-bike riders might reply that they are not riding the e-bike for exercise or "training" purposes, (nor to accomplish fitness, speed, or distance objectives, nor to record the shenanigans of bad drivers.) They might reply that they are riding their e-bikes to get somewhere and return, or because they enjoy getting around in the fresh air, and that their e-bike is the best means for them to do this.

In fact, that might be the same or similar answer that would given by many people who are riding a regular bicyclist powered bicycle on the bike path, or if asked anywhere else other than at a velodrome or at the meeting point of the local "actual bicycle rider" club.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-07-22, 07:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Why do you care?
It's none of your damn business how much exercise they're getting. I'm concerned with over-powered ebikes being used on paths both too fast and too heavy because those are legitimate safety concerns. Those affect the safety of other people. "George isn't turning his crank enough to matter" is a stupid, tsk tsk, fake level of concern kind of thing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-07-22, 07:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't ride ebikes, but if any stranger asked me a pointed question like that unsolicited on a bike path, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest they perform an impossible solo sex act. Your question is the worst sort of Karening, you just assume they're interested in your approval or disapproval.
Old 02-06-22, 02:09 AM
EZgears

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E Bikes are more motorcycle than bicycle

They've got peddles but they're fast, powerful and big. I struggled to put my bike in a rack because someone put an Ebike in it. It was like one of the old mopeds they had in the early 80's.
Old 02-06-22, 05:57 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I think as the technology improves they'll get smaller and lighter....but they will also get faster and have a longer range. However, I agree, as of today, they are freakin' big and heavy.
Old 02-06-22, 10:06 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I am of two minds on ebikes. My biking partner is 78, has a pacemaker, and is on oxygen 24/7. Before his health declined, he rode a regular bicycle from San Francisco to New York City, across Alaska, and many of the bike trails across the country. Without a motor, he would be unable to ride. His bike is "assist," so he does get exercise if that matters.

On the other hand, I have had disappointing encounters with ebike riders. Passed at speed on a MUP with no warning, rider not wearing a helmet. Caught up at red light. Tried to explain she should give a warning when passing, but she had ear buds and couldn't hear me. That said, I have also had "regular" riders close pass, pass on the right, ignore traffic rules, etc.

My hope, as others have expressed here, is that ebikes will open riding to more people for everyday chores or just getting out of the house. And that this increase will benefit us all in the long run.
Old 02-06-22, 10:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
In the past few years I have encountered very few other ebikes on the local trails. Once in a while I would see a couple - her on an ebike, him on a road bike - maybe an older couple, both on ebikes or maybe an isolated single. But recently they seem to have multiplied to the point that I it is not uncommon to see several every time I ride. So far they all seemed to be ridden decently, with none of the crazy mad ebiker experiences that are usually reported on BF.

But that changed two days ago. I was riding a section of trail that runs through a heavily wooded lowland with many tight blind corners and few straight sections. I was riding comfortably through the winding trail at about 15mph when I saw two bikes in my mirror come up fast behind me. The man blew it past through a blind corner but the woman got caught behind me. She rode my rear wheel and then tried to pass on the next short straight just as two bikes came around the next blind corner in front of us. She braked, sliding both wheels and somehow we all managed to miss each other. It could have been messy with trees at the edge of the trail and no place to bail out. She almost took out 4 bikes in her rush to get by. In the process her ebike died and she called out for the man to wait. He stopped and as I caught up to him I clearly suggested that they cool it a bit and watch how they were riding on the blind corners. Probably didn't make a friend there.

So - the crazy ebikers have come to quiet suburban MN. Usually all I have to watch out for are dog walkers, joggers, and the guys in lycra running time trials for the TDF. Ah, the advance of technology . . . .
Dont blame the E-bike, blame the rider riding it. What happened to you is no difference than the head down racer boyz that have run me off the trail two or three times, because they were staring down looking their front wheel and not where they were going.