Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

install a 112 carbon wheel to 120 O.L.D frame possible?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 12:20 AM
singlespeedfold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi fellows,
I'm very interested to install a set of 16" tri-spoke carbon wheels for a better look and lighter weight.

My bike is a v-brake single speed with front 74mm and rear 120 O.L.D. so the 74mm front wheel is easy to find.
However, the closest spec wheels available in the market all come with 112 O.L.D.and 3 speed hub.

Questions:
1-Is it possible to install this 112 O.L.D. to my 120 O.L.D. with a simple modification or adapting device?
2-What is the lightest solution to install a single-speed gear to a 3 speed hub?

PS: I cannot attach photos due to newbie status
Old 11-22-21, 04:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m assuming you have a bike similar to a Brompton, which is why the 112mm/74mm 16” wheels are what you can find.

You can probably add a 4mm spacer on each side of the hub before the locknut. There might be a chainline issue if the crank is set out further than a 112mm OLD.

Not familiar enough, but maybe someone will chime in.

John
Old 11-22-21, 06:39 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m assuming you have a bike similar to a Brompton, which is why the 112mm/74mm 16” wheels are what you can find.

You can probably add a 4mm spacer on each side of the hub before the locknut. There might be a chainline issue if the crank is set out further than a 112mm OLD.

Not familiar enough, but maybe someone will chime in.

John
Thank you for your response and advice.
Can Hubsmith HUB CINCH HS-HCR01R do the job as spacers in such a case?
If there is a chainline alignment issue, can the rear sprocket be adjusted by adding thin spacers along the 3 speed cassette free hub?
Old 11-23-21, 10:57 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
You need to post a picture of your hub. Some hubs have a big hollow axle in the middle and screwed on endcaps. Some hubs have one long skinny threaded axle. The former might let you put a 4mm spacer on there. The latter would require you to scrounge up an 8mm longer axle.
Old 11-23-21, 06:37 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You need to post a picture of your hub. Some hubs have a big hollow axle in the middle and screwed on endcaps. Some hubs have one long skinny threaded axle. The former might let you put a 4mm spacer on there. The latter would require you to scrounge up an 8mm longer axle.
I haven't bought the wheel yet. Do you mean that I need to get the wheel coming with hubs that have a big hollow axle in the middle and screwed on endcaps? What are the names of this type of hub which allow me to add spacer?
Old 11-25-21, 11:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by singlespeedfold
I haven't bought the wheel yet. Do you mean that I need to get the wheel coming with hubs that have a big hollow axle in the middle and screwed on endcaps? What are the names of this type of hub which allow me to add spacer?
If you haven't bought the wheel yet and you don't know exactly how the hub looks , I would advice you not to do it. You don't want to buy it and then find out it doesn't work.
Old 11-25-21, 06:54 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If you haven't bought the wheel yet and you don't know exactly how the hub looks , I would advice you not to do it. You don't want to buy it and then find out it doesn't work.
Thanks for your advice. I found a good seller who is willing to custom make a 120 O.L.D.for me finally after providing them the spec requirement details..