Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Early 2022 'Help me find a budget rear track wheel' thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-21, 08:35 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Hi folks,

I have been out of the game so to speak for a while, but I recently acquired a frame that I want to build up on the cheap just for kicks and I don't have a rear wheel laying around like I may have in the past. Options I would like to converse about:

1. Build something retro, there is a suzue jr hub on ebay for $25 which was what my first fixed gear had, I probably have an Araya box-section rim here somewhere but it would be my first time building a wheel and I think the cost of spokes/nipples just to duplicate my budget first track wheel is probably not worth it, I want to learn to build wheels though, I wish spokes were free

2. BikeIsland.com - They have two questionable options, which are a set of Vuelta wheels with tires and cog for $100, or these Dragon Wheels/Alex Crostini (never heard of it) that look cool and have tires and cog for $140, and they also have bare Kilo TT stock wheelset for $110 which would be fine but more pricey as I'd need to get rim tape tubes tires cog and lockring still

3. VeloMine.com - They have a cheap racey looking rear wheel, Omega Mach 1 28-spoke for $60, which would be easy enough, but I question the quality of the wheel and for a coffee bike is 28 spokes maybe a bit fragile?

4. Other options - I'd really like to just find an acceptable quality basic rear wheel for under $80 perhaps; does that exist out there right now? Thinking about it the basic silver Kilo TT wheels are probably a good option and I just have to accept that I'm not getting free tires cog and lockring, I can get better stuff and just spend a bit more I guess

I'm just thinking about this so welcome any conversation, perhaps a super-boring/played out topic but hey the forum is a bit dead anyway

1990 Giant Allegre, not nice enough to do much with, but racey track-like geometry and horizontal dropouts, so, fixie

Feels solid, not heavy, not light

Vuelta seconds from BikeIsland with Kenda Koncept tires and cog and lockring

SE hubs and "Alex Crostini" rims, Conti Sport tires and a freewheel and cog and lockring

Mach 1 Omega looks fancy

Stock Kilo TT wheels, maybe the best option?
Old 12-13-21, 09:39 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoninohio
there is a suzue jr hub on ebay for $25
I probably have an Araya box-section rim here somewhere
I want to learn to build wheels
Opportunity knocks. If not now, when?
Old 12-13-21, 10:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I like blue with white so SE and alex rims, not a bad brand for either, nothing special but reliable. If those are take off wheels from the SE singlespeed it is designed as more of a street bike so probably good for your purpose. Vuelta wheels are common on lower end name brand bikes, so worth the 100 asking price and will be a decent wheelset though nothing special and not as colorful. The mach 1 isn't that great, I've got the same rims on my kids' bikes in 20" (540 and 506 iso sized), theirs are for geared bikes and the QR rusted fast as did the bearings. Both bikes are for cross so maybe more mud and gunk than you might experience. No real opinion on the kilo, shiny but not blue.
Old 12-20-21, 10:33 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Was looking for a new wheel for my fixed gear most of last year and gave up. All the usual sites were out of stock. Bike island would say they had it until you tried to add it to your cart, then you would find they only had fronts left in stock.