Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New Orleans Biking Community

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 12-30-21, 07:48 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Biking is alive and well in 'Nawlins! I just returned from a trip to New Orleans and was happy to see dozens and dozens of bikes secured to anything that wouldn't move. I also witnessed tons of riders on their commute, dodging cars and pot holes and other debris. The streets aren't great there and some of the sidewalks are horrible for pedestrians, but it doesn't seem to slow anyone down. I've traveled a fair bit and I can say that New Orleans has some of the busiest streets and sidewalks anywhere.

There were, as expected, a lot of beaters, but I also saw some higher-end bikes such as All City and Surly. Most of the bikes seemed to be geared, but there were plenty of SS and FG also. One fellow cruised past me on a white FG with a very narrow straight bar. He obviously knew his way around, dodging cars and potholes and not missing a beat.

Made me feel good to see so many bikes.

For those who haven't been, New Orleans is a real treat. It wasn't my first visit, and it won't be my last. We always experience the famed "Southern hospitality", and it is clear that the businesses recognize how much tourism means to their city.

“Laissez les bons temps rouler”
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-31-21, 02:06 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Like Tennessee Williams famously said, "America only has three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-02-22, 06:47 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Like Tennessee Williams famously said, "America only has three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
Having grown up in Cleveland there's not much in the statement with which I disagree.
Old 01-02-22, 07:05 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
My son went to school, and now lives in NOLA so I'm down there a couple of times/year to visit (and have been doing so regularly since the early 80s-by far my favorite city in the USA). I am always amazed by the number of cyclists I see in the city. You couldn't pay me enough to navigate the potholes on a bike. Riding the levee isn't bad, but gets boring pretty quickly.
Likes For jwalther: