Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need lighter replacement for 57mm reach brake calipers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 09:24 PM
singlespeedfold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Currently using Tektro R539 with 57mm reach. Googled but couldn't find any lighter replacement, even high end carbon ones, with a similar reach. Only some lighter brakes are found for Brompton but their wire routing is reversed and cannot be used on my bike. Any advice?
Old 01-10-22, 09:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I always felt that brakes were one of the components that weight concerns were miss directed. To me the feel, modulation and reliability is VASTLY more important.

Back in the day we had really light calipers, what with only a single pivot the caliper didn't need as much material. For the cost challenged riders Weinmann 500s were the cool ticket. These were the shortest reach of their otherwise common calipers. But once a rider tried the Campy calipers few thought their 500s were better. The solid feel, caliper mounted QR and easy centering, of the Campys, were just so much better.

Just as the greater leverage (power) of modern dual pivots is worth every added gram of their weight (compared to Campys).

To be somewhat cynical... did your current calipers weight keep you from getting over the big hill near you? Andy (who rode 500s for a few years, then Campy for a few decades and now dual pivots are on every bike that uses a caliper design)
Old 01-10-22, 10:16 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by singlespeedfold
Currently using Tektro R539 with 57mm reach. Googled but couldn't find any lighter replacement, even high end carbon ones, with a similar reach. Only some lighter brakes are found for Brompton but their wire routing is reversed and cannot be used on my bike. Any advice?
Buy the TRP RG957. Far, far better performance and only 9 grams heavier. Yes, I have both.

THM carbon brakes are about 40% the weight but the 57mm drop would take some pad droppers. Not a $1500 experiment that I would run
Old 01-11-22, 12:19 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
What is your motivation to reduce the weight of your brakes all about ? How about the rest of the bike ?
Old 01-11-22, 12:24 AM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I always felt that brakes were one of the components that weight concerns were miss directed. To me the feel, modulation and reliability is VASTLY more important.

Back in the day we had really light calipers, what with only a single pivot the caliper didn't need as much material. For the cost challenged riders Weinmann 500s were the cool ticket. These were the shortest reach of their otherwise common calipers. But once a rider tried the Campy calipers few thought their 500s were better. The solid feel, caliper mounted QR and easy centering, of the Campys, were just so much better.

Just as the greater leverage (power) of modern dual pivots is worth every added gram of their weight (compared to Campys).

To be somewhat cynical... did your current calipers weight keep you from getting over the big hill near you? Andy (who rode 500s for a few years, then Campy for a few decades and now dual pivots are on every bike that uses a caliper design)
I see your point but I do not intend to trade off much reliability for weight
Old 01-11-22, 12:25 AM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Buy the TRP RG957. Far, far better performance and only 9 grams heavier. Yes, I have both.

THM carbon brakes are about 40% the weight but the 57mm drop would take some pad droppers. Not a $1500 experiment that I would run
Thanks for your advice. just found that THM has 43 reach only

Last edited by singlespeedfold; 01-11-22 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-11-22, 12:27 AM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frogman
What is your motivation to reduce the weight of your brakes all about ? How about the rest of the bike ?
The rest of the bike are already very light.
Old 01-11-22, 01:18 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
I see your point but I do not intend to trade off much reliability for weight
160g per caliper is pretty light, dude. Try drillium maybe?
Old 01-11-22, 07:38 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
The rest of the bike are already very light.
What's the bike? Unusual to have a weight weenie frame designed for mid reach.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-11-22, 08:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Beat me to it.

As long as they work well, brakes are about the last thing I would bother upgrading on a bike. I'm still running the no-name calipers that came on my '03 LeMond -- a bike that performed perfectly well through many, many road races back in the day.
Old 01-11-22, 08:31 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Here is a light brake that with a dropper to the rim pad would work. There are no really light mid-reach caliper brakes. 160-170 grams each is about as good as you get. The M5 brakes might be hard to procure. A buddy has them. I think he said they were 135 grams......per pair.

M5 Recumbents » m5 Lightweight bike parts » M5 side pull brake
Old 01-11-22, 08:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The real problem is that "long reach" (typically 47 to 57 mm) caliper brakes have been out of fashion for a long time so very few models are available and none in boutique very light form. Those Tektros are about the only readily available ones. Shimano currently lists long reach dual pivots in their 105 series (BR-R650) but I don't know if these are any lighter than the Tektros.
Old 01-11-22, 09:49 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The real problem is that "long reach" (typically 47 to 57 mm) caliper brakes have been out of fashion for a long time so very few models are available and none in boutique very light form. Those Tektros are about the only readily available ones. Shimano currently lists long reach dual pivots in their 105 series (BR-R650) but I don't know if these are any lighter than the Tektros.
And the proof of this is that what we call "long reach" was called "standard reach" only a few decades years ago. Terms shift with the popular and current needs. Another example of this is the "gravel" bike term. They are pretty much what we called non racing road bikes back in the 1970s. Slightly longer wheelbases, greater tire/brake/frame clearances and lower ranged gearing then the intended for road racing bikes that took over the non MtB market since. Terms are just what we agree to call stuff and often reject the past to sound "newer and bester". Andy
Old 01-11-22, 01:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
TRP and Shimano both have the "long" reach. But, both are heavier than the R539. I had to look it up myself because, like you, I thought of the 105's. To my surprise, the R539 seem to be the lightest availabe of that range in reach. And, certainly the best price
Old 01-11-22, 02:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I really like the performance and weight of the Cane Creek eeBrakes but they are not long reach if they were they might need to be a bit heavier I suspect (and not just to make them long reach but to keep the stiffness and modulation they have). As others have said long reach can be a bit tougher to find and performance of the brakes is more important than weight.
Old 01-11-22, 06:25 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thook
160g per caliper is pretty light, dude. Try drillium maybe?
I would never do drillium. I found there is an optional part to replace the short reach arms of crane creek ee brake.
Old 01-11-22, 06:28 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I really like the performance and weight of the Cane Creek eeBrakes but they are not long reach if they were they might need to be a bit heavier I suspect (and not just to make them long reach but to keep the stiffness and modulation they have). As others have said long reach can be a bit tougher to find and performance of the brakes is more important than weight.
I found there is an optional part to replace the short reach arms of crane creek ee brake with long reach ones. I am studying that.
Old 01-11-22, 06:31 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Here is a light brake that with a dropper to the rim pad would work. There are no really light mid-reach caliper brakes. 160-170 grams each is about as good as you get. The M5 brakes might be hard to procure. A buddy has them. I think he said they were 135 grams......per pair.

M5 Recumbents » m5 Lightweight bike parts » M5 side pull brake
I just found some nice pad droppers which can extend 6.5 -9 mm.
Old 01-11-22, 06:33 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hummingbird folding bike
Old 01-11-22, 06:37 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Folding bikes with 16“ rim are still hot
Old 01-11-22, 06:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I found there is an optional part to replace the short reach arms of crane creek ee brake with long reach ones. I am studying that.
Curious to see how you would do that? Keep in mind any brake pad extenders are likely to hit tires and such and may not quite work.
Old 01-11-22, 06:58 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Curious to see how you would do that? Keep in mind any brake pad extenders are likely to hit tires and such and may not quite work.
Not pad extenders but replacement arms that need to disassemble the brake calipers to reassemble it.
Old 01-11-22, 07:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Not pad extenders but replacement arms that need to disassemble the brake calipers to reassemble it.
Who makes replacement arms that are longer? I want to see these?
Old 01-11-22, 07:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
If this is the OP's bike https://hummingbirdbike.com/products...HorizontalTab1

it is pretty light at 15 lbs, and pretty tech with carbon and such

not sure what a few hundred more grams will do, practically. But not all we do is practical. if this were a 25lb cheapo I would say forget about it.

My only reservation on swappiing out for lighter is the it appears the manufacturer did a really careful job of specking the bike (at $4000 I would hope so) and there could be a very good reason the 539 were used

Old 01-11-22, 07:32 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who makes replacement arms that are longer? I want to see these?
this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.