Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New tires n wheel set value?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 06:51 PM
Defy Dene

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I am thinking of selling my entry level 700c Giant SR2 wheels, and dealer installed Conti GP5000 TL 28c tires.
Neither have been run on the road yet. Bike sitting there waiting for the weather to clear.
My intention is to put the money towards a higher level aftermarket wheels set and similar, (or the same tires).
What to you think this set is worth on the used market folks?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-22, 06:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Keep the tires unless you want a different size. You'll just have to buy more and they are in short supply.
Old 01-12-22, 07:04 PM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Keep the tires unless you want a different size. You'll just have to buy more and they are in short supply.
I figured the whole package would be more intriguing with the GP5000’s included.
Certain brand tires might be hard to come by, but I assumed the bike shop where I got the new bike from had a million of that brand.
I requested the GP5000 even before he recommended that’s what they like using lots on customers bikes.
Thanks Shelby….
Likes For Defy Dene:
Old 01-12-22, 08:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Frankly, those wheels aren't going to move the needle too much, in terms of partially offsetting the purchase of the new wheels, and you're probably going to come out behind in terms of the tires.

If these are the wheels for your Defy, I'd keep them around as a secondary/spare set. Put the 28 mm Conti GP5ks on the go-fast wheels and put the biggest tires than you can get away with on the stock wheels and use them for stuff like light gravel or really long endurance rides. They'll be nice to have if you should pop a spoke or something on the nice set, too.

Last edited by WhyFi; 01-12-22 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 08:57 PM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Frankly, those wheels aren't going to move the needle too much, in terms of partially offsetting the purchase of the new wheels, and you're probably going to come out behind in terms of the tires.

If these are the wheels for your Defy, I'd keep them around as a secondary/spare set. Put the 28 mm Conti GP5ks on the go-fast wheels and put the biggest tires than you can get away with on the stock wheels and use them for stuff like light gravel or really long endurance rides. They'll be nice to have if you should pop a spoke or something on the nice set, too.
Valid statements!
Thanks.
Something to ponder.
Old 01-12-22, 10:54 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
When did you buy the bike? 28mm GP 5000 TL tires are OOS everywhere and discontinued so there won't be any more made. The second generation 5000 S TRs go for $100 per tire in the US... cheaper from some discount European brands until shipping is factored. Think twice before selling them assuming you can get something better for same or cheaper. Or run back and buy more from the shop you got them from so you can flip 'em.

The SR2 wheels aren't worth much and there won't be a market for them except from people looking for cheap trainer wheels.
​​​​​​
Old 01-12-22, 11:00 PM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by surak
When did you buy the bike? 28mm GP 5000 TL tires are OOS everywhere and discontinued so there won't be any more made. The second generation 5000 S TRs go for $100 per tire in the US... cheaper from some discount European brands until shipping is factored. Think twice before selling them assuming you can get something better for same or cheaper. Or run back and buy more from the shop you got them from so you can flip 'em.

The SR2 wheels aren't worth much and there won't be a market for them except from people looking for cheap trainer wheels.
​​​​​​
I guess the rims might as well be put on my shelf for a spare set then.
I put a down payment on the bike Nov 4th and picked it up at the beginning of this month with the GP5000 installed.
B.C. Canada