Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will going tubeless eliminate heat related deflation?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will going tubeless eliminate heat related deflation?

Old 02-02-23, 10:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
People have reported steam from spoke holes after a descent.
There is always a maximum any given system can withstand until it fails (pressure, temperature, etc.). These are probably isolated cases...

Disc brakes are clearly a must when riding steep hills that requires lots of braking for this reason. I think there is no debate here.
Old 02-03-23, 07:45 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
There is always a maximum any given system can withstand until it fails (pressure, temperature, etc.). These are probably isolated cases...

Disc brakes are clearly a must when riding steep hills that requires lots of braking for this reason. I think there is no debate here.
Yeah, no one rode down steep hills on bicycles until disc brakes came along.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-03-23, 08:27 AM
eduskator

I'm not talking about the past, I'm talking about the present and the helpful and unexpensive technologies we now have.

OP is blowing his tire because of the heat generated by the friction between the pads and the rim. A viable solution is to generate the friction required to brake somewhere else than on the rims.
Old 02-03-23, 12:26 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Yeah, no one rode down steep hills on bicycles until disc brakes came along.
They all died a fiery death when they tried.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-03-23, 11:06 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by eduskator
I'm not talking about the past, I'm talking about the present and the helpful and unexpensive technologies we now have.

OP is blowing his tire because of the heat generated by the friction between the pads and the rim. A viable solution is to generate the friction required to brake somewhere else than on the rims.
You know what else discs have that rim brakes don't?

Brake fade.
Old 02-04-23, 09:17 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

You know what else hydraulic discs have that rim brakes don't?

Brake fade.
Fixed. Granted this is true, mechanical disc brakes suck. And brake fade won't happen if you know how to use your brakes just as tire blow-offs won't happen with rim brakes if you know how to use your brakes.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-04-23, 09:21 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Lombard
Fixed. Granted this is true, mechanical disc brakes suck. And brake fade won't happen if you know how to use your brakes just as tire blow-offs won't happen with rim brakes if you know how to use your brakes.
Brake fade can happen with mechanical discs. Get the pads and rotors hot enough and they stop acting like they have friction on each other. That doesn't happen with rubber rim brake pads because the rubber just wears off instead of holding the heat.
Old 02-04-23, 12:32 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Brake fade can happen with mechanical discs. Get the pads and rotors hot enough and they stop acting like they have friction on each other. That doesn't happen with rubber rim brake pads because the rubber just wears off instead of holding the heat.
And eventually the brake track on the rim wears too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm don't honestly believe in the rim vs. disc brake debate than one is any better than the other. There are good and bad points to each type. There are good rim brakes and good disc brakes. There are also crappy rim brakes and crappy disc brakes.

My point is if you know how to use your brakes properly, either of these options will serve you well.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-04-23, 05:00 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Lombard
And eventually the brake track on the rim wears too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm don't honestly believe in the rim vs. disc brake debate than one is any better than the other. There are good and bad points to each type. There are good rim brakes and good disc brakes. There are also crappy rim brakes and crappy disc brakes.

My point is if you know how to use your brakes properly, either of these options will serve you well.
I wasn't suggesting rubber pads prevent rim wear. I was only suggesting that pad ablation is the trade-off that prevents the pad/rim contact from getting hot enough to lose friction.
Old 02-05-23, 12:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Most professional riders depend on tubular tires and rims when rim brakes were used on long descents. With the tube encased and sewn-up in the tire, blowing a tire off the rim becomes nearly impossible.

Tubulars are also safer in the event of a blowout.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-05-23, 01:26 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Most professional riders depend on tubular tires and rims when rim brakes were used on long descents. With the tube encased and sewn-up in the tire, blowing a tire off the rim becomes nearly impossible.

So did you have an internal tube failure or did the bead blow off the rim?
Old 02-05-23, 02:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 1,738 Posts
I wasn't suggesting rubber pads prevent rim wear. I was only suggesting that pad ablation is the trade-off that prevents the pad/rim contact from getting hot enough to lose friction.
Wearing away rubber from the surface of a brake pad seems to be a very inefficient way to dissipate heat. Unless you're scrubbing away a bunch of material, but then the pad would not last long at all. The entire thermal capacity of a typical rim brake pad is (very roughly) 12 Joules per Kelvin.

Or is this trade-off process you refer to this:
  1. pad surface gets soft from heat
  2. soft pad material gets scrubbed away (ablated)
  3. harder pad material contacts rim
  4. repeat

Old 02-05-23, 02:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The braking heat-induced failure mode with tubulars is rolling the tire off the rim. This can occur after the high temperature softens the glue holding the tire to the rim.

Then again, pros usually descend so fast in races that they are not at risk of heat-induced tire failure.

Old 02-05-23, 03:55 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
I never had a blow out in the past on my road bikes. But for my bike upgrades and next builds,I will use slime tubes and continental grand prix 4 seasons.I used michelin tires the performer and the hilite comp as well as the axial in the past on my road bikes and never got a flat
Old 02-05-23, 04:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Of course, the tire blowing off also eliminates the pad/rim contact from getting hot enough to lose friction.

Just messin' around. I don't care about any of this stuff. Ride what works for you, and if it doesn't work, ride something else or ride what you have differently. Your mileage Will vary.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-05-23, 04:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

And happily for all, tubular glue won't melt at the sort of rim temps experienced by pros riding at max pace down steep mountains .... and I am sure that in the cases where I saw riders in a broadcast race lose a tire and the announcers---themselves ex-pros---said that due to extreme heat of the pavement and the heat from braking, that the tubular glue melted, they were lying ... in the pocket of big Tubeless, for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...res-rims-oman/
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-05-23, 05:34 PM
Kontact

Wearing away rubber from the surface of a brake pad seems to be a very inefficient way to dissipate heat. Unless you're scrubbing away a bunch of material, but then the pad would not last long at all. The entire thermal capacity of a typical rim brake pad is (very roughly) 12 Joules per Kelvin.

Or is this trade-off process you refer to this:
  1. pad surface gets soft from heat
  2. soft pad material gets scrubbed away (ablated)
  3. harder pad material contacts rim
  4. repeat
Pretty much. Add on the much higher leverage and surface area of a 622mm "disc" and you have a very heat resistant system, overall.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-05-23, 09:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Happened upon a YouTube today, and of course can’t find it again, which discussed rim brake overheating of carbon rims on some long descents overheating the carbon and slowly breaking the molecular bonds which bind/bond the rim leading to eventual rim failure. Will keep looking…

OK, just search on You Tube Carbon Rim Brake Failure - there are a bunch of them.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-05-23 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 01:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by rsbob
Happened upon a YouTube today, and of course can’t find it again, which discussed rim brake overheating of carbon rims on some long descents overheating the carbon and slowly breaking the molecular bonds which bind/bond the rim leading to eventual rim failure.
It’s not the carbon that fails at high temperature. It’s the resin.

This was a fairly common problem in the early days of carbon rims. Manufacturers have since then switched to resins with a higher softening temperature.

Old 02-06-23, 11:07 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

It’s not the carbon that fails at high temperature. It’s the resin.

This was a fairly common problem in the early days of carbon rims. Manufacturers have since then switched to resins with a higher softening temperature.
Yes indeed. I stand corrected unless you want to start an argument about it in the finest BF tradition.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-06-23, 11:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by rsbob
Yes indeed. I stand corrected unless you want to start an argument about it in the finest BF tradition.
I came here for a good argument.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-06-23, 12:35 PM
Maelochs

"That was never five minutes .... "

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-06-23 at 01:53 PM. Reason: I type as well as I ride ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-06-23, 05:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I came here for a good argument.
What?

“{SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!

Absolutely love MP. Been a fan since the start of the Flying Circus. The ridiculousness of it all is, shall we say, hauntingly familiar.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-07-23, 12:33 PM
eduskator

You know what else discs have that rim brakes don't?

Brake fade.
Brake fade or a blowout, which is better?
Old 02-07-23, 01:30 PM
Maelochs

Lol .... debating disc vs rim brakes is like debating how flat the Earth is. +No one is listening to anything but their own voices .... and the voices in their heads.

The only reason racers sometimes blow tires is because they have to go all-out to the very limit of safety, because they guy behind them will. On the road, there are a lot of options. If I have to descend a Really long, steep hill and I am worried about my brakes because I am riding them... I can pull to the side and let them cool a minute. Disc or rim or drum, tubular or clincher or tubeless, I do not have to hold the brakes for minutes at a time .... I am not on the clock with my career hanging in the balance.

Similarly, i can brake almost to a stop, then roll off, hitting the brakes intermittently, a little harder as I build speed, then slow way down and proceed downhill cycling through hard and gentle braking, to keep the brakes cool.

If I choose, I can ride the brakes hard the whole way and risk dying to a blow-out or blow-off or whatever. I am pretty sure if I die I won't be debating proper terminology.

It is great having the freedom to live my own life by my own lights, which usually, while cycling, i get to do a fair amount.
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.