Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will going tubeless eliminate heat related deflation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will going tubeless eliminate heat related deflation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 02:01 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
There is absolutely no debate here - like there is no debate on the flat vs round Earth. Disc brakes are better for superior braking needs, just like Earth is round.

I still love rim brakes though (but I don't like flat-Earthers).
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-07-23, 02:41 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Brake fade or a blowout, which is better?
which is false ,in this article you have a nice comparison disc brakes versus rim brakes and another good article debunking the myth heat from rim brakes incrases tire pressure and causes blow out. Each type of brakes has its pros and its cons
Old 02-07-23, 07:10 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Brake fade or a blowout, which is better?
Would you rather be trampled to death by a hippo or eaten by a lion?
Old 02-07-23, 07:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Would you rather be trampled to death by a hippo or eaten by a lion?
Can I pet the lion as he eats me? Because I'd like to pet a lion before I die.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-07-23, 09:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
which is false
Blow offs from heavy braking is not false.

Old 02-07-23, 11:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A little late to the party, but . . .

Firstly, I know nothing about heat-related issues and carbon rims. I've been riding a tandem with 285 lb. team weight and rim brakes in hilly terrain for a long time. I don't think I'd choose carbon rims.

The issue with heat is that at the top of a hill, the descending vehicle has a certain amount of potential energy. By the bottom of the hill, all that potential energy will have been converted into heat energy by two mechanisms: atmospheric resistance and braking resistance. There's no way around that, therefore the problem resolves into two problems: how to maximize the energy lost to the atmosphere and how to dissipate the heat from braking.

Thus one lets the bike run between corners while sitting upright (if not racing) and brakes hard for the corners. What matters here is not so much the intermittent nature of the braking, bur rather that one is dissipating heat into the atmosphere between corners rather than one's rims. Alternating front and rear braking, either rim or disc, will make that rim or disc temporarily hotter than it would have been if both brakes had been used at once. The hotter surface will dissipate heat more quickly than a cooler one, so alternating them makes sense.

I've blown tires off our tandem rims several times while running box section alu rims. I'm friends with a tandem captain who went off into the blackberries after his front rim brake cable failed and his rear disk got red hot and melted whatever it melts and stopped working.

There was a famous tandem group descent of Ventoux many years ago, some bikes with discs, some with rim brakes, and a few with a rim/rear drum combo. The result was that every disc braked bike melted their plastic parts though the brakes still worked. The rim/drum combo did fine, and none of the rim braked bikes had a problem. The fun part about the rim brake result is that all the riders knew to stop and let their brakes cool from time to time. The disc brakers thought theirs were bomb-proof, with an expensive but not dangerous result. Tech is different today, but I think the lesson is a good one.

Tires blow off rims because the internal pressure becomes too great AND the tire material softens at the bead. The solution for alu rims is simply to run a deep rim. A deep alu rim has much more surface area and thus dissipates heat much more rapidly than does a box section rim. I've never blown a tire off a deep alu rum. And it's definitely not the case that the tube overheats. The failure is at the rim/tire joint. A section of tire bead comes off the rim, maybe 6"-8" long, and the tube has a rent in it, about that long and at the same location. Tube failure would not have that result. The tire would simply deflate and not blow off the rim. Tubeless tires do exist.

I don't know that it matters whether the tire is tubeless or not, but it certainly does matter if the rim is hooked. Hookless rims have a pressure limitation. I have thought however that a tube does press against the tire at the bead, which would seem to add strength to that bead/rim joint.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-07-23 at 11:07 PM.
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 02-08-23, 01:28 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Can imagine anyone would dare building a hookless rim brake wheel. It'd be a death trap, even more so than it already is.
Old 02-08-23, 06:52 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Can imagine anyone would dare building a hookless rim brake wheel. It'd be a death trap, even more so than it already is.
Been using a set of hookless rims for the last 3 seasons and I do not have any complaint whatsoever aside from being limited to certain tires. They've been nothing but great.
Old 02-08-23, 07:02 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Been using a set of hookless rims for the last 3 seasons and I do not have any complaint whatsoever aside from being limited to certain tires. They've been nothing but great.
What is the advantage of hookless rims? To me, that always looked like a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Old 02-08-23, 07:23 AM
eduskator

What is the advantage of hookless rims? To me, that always looked like a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Weight, more inner width, lower pressure needed in tires, (claimed) better grip and handling due to the tire not deforming as much as it would with a hooked type rim.

Some will also argue that it's just a way for manufacturers to save money since they're cheaper to produce.
Old 02-08-23, 07:25 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Weight, more inner width, lower pressure needed in tires, (claimed) better grip and handling due to the tire not deforming as much as it would with a hooked type rim.

Some will also argue that it's just a way for manufacturers to save money since they're cheaper to produce.
Hmmm. Sounds like a solution to non-existant problems.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-08-23, 07:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Lower weight for wider internal width able to run safely at lower pressures? Not saying these claims are true, but if those are true, then hookless is not a solution to non-existent problems, but an clear improvement.

Unless some folks like narrow, heavy wheels at high pressure .... to each his own .....

" "We are all in the grip of Big Hookless' he whispered with his last breath, and a chill ran down my spine. I knew he was right."
Old 02-08-23, 07:57 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts

I am new to tubeless, but from reading here and elsewhere online (including Roval), lower pressure (compared to tubes) is an advantage of going tubeless. Conversely, going hookless requires lower maximum pressure, and is thus a disadvantage.
Old 02-08-23, 08:31 AM
eduskator

Hookless rims don't ''require'' a tire that has a low maximum pressure; they require to be compatible with the tire.

These tires often have a maximum tire pressure of 5 bar indicated on them, but you can still use tires that have a higher maximum pressure as long as they've been tested by the wheel manufacturer.
Old 02-08-23, 08:57 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Hookless rims don't ''require'' a tire that has a low maximum pressure; they require to be compatible with the tire.

These tires often have a maximum tire pressure of 5 bar indicated on them, but you can still use tires that have a higher maximum pressure as long as they've been tested by the wheel manufacturer.
I did not say that a hookless rim requires a tire with a lower maximum pressure. I said that a hookless rim itself is rated at a lower maximum pressure.

For example,
Zipp 303: 73 psi. 303 S Tubeless Disc-brake | WH-303-STLD-A1 | Zipp (sram.com)
FFWD Drift: 72 psi. FFWD Wheels DRIFT 36mm Gravel Disc Brake Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

Thus, even if a compatible tire itself is rated at a higher maximum pressure, ETRTO says not to inflate it above 73 psi when mounted on a hookless rim.
Old 02-08-23, 09:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Can I pet the lion as he eats me? Because I'd like to pet a lion before I die.
Do you know someone named the Tooth Fairy? Oops, that was a tiger. I've heard of men that spanked their monkeys, but none that petted lions except for those two guys in Vegas.

Last edited by seypat; 02-08-23 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-08-23, 10:10 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3254 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Lower weight for wider internal width able to run safely at lower pressures? Not saying these claims are true, but if those are true, then hookless is not a solution to non-existent problems, but an clear improvement.

Unless some folks like narrow, heavy wheels at high pressure .... to each his own .....

" "We are all in the grip of Big Hookless' he whispered with his last breath, and a chill ran down my spine. I knew he was right."
I’m 100% sold on it. I’m not a small guy, but I’m running 28s at 57f 60r on my Zipp 303S and it’s sublime.
Old 02-08-23, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The only thing I know about hookless rims is that hooked rims are a relatively modern innovation. Back when I started riding road bikes, hooked rims were unheard of. Everyone ran 1-1/4 X 27" tires on hookless rims. I've blown wire-rim tires off those rims using gas station air hoses, at about 120 lbs. IIRC. So if the article up-thread in post 77 is correct, your tubeless tires won't get hot enough from braking to blow off. Maybe. That article also said that running lower pressure was worse for blow-offs. It's complicated. The idea that hookless is better because you "can" run lower pressures seems funny to me. What's the difference? More likely it is that you "have to" run lower pressures and this is being presented as an advantage. Of course.

I was on a ride featuring a winding high speed descent where a rider rolled their rear sew-up off the rim. Luckily there was a grass verge for comfortable sliding. So that can happen. I don't know what his gluing procedure was, so there's that. I was behind him but he went off so fast it wasn't an issue.
Old 02-08-23, 11:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The only thing I know about hookless rims is that hooked rims are a relatively modern innovation. Back when I started riding road bikes, hooked rims were unheard of. Everyone ran 1-1/4 X 27" tires on hookless rims. I've blown wire-rim tires off those rims using gas station air hoses, at about 120 lbs.
I hated those old hookless rims. I worked in my parents' shop in the 60s and 70s, and it was so easy to blow off a tire with the air compressor. My ears would ring for the rest of the day.

I don't remember when hooked rims took over (early 70s?), but the sound of a blown tire ceased completely.

Like so many things in cycling, something that was rejected by one generation gets recycled again as a "new improvement".

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-08-23, 03:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

How is it we always go from one extreme to the other. We used to have ridiculously narrow rims and tires. Now everyone is looking for wider, wider and even more wide.

And yes, I get it that hookless rims are a weight weenie thing, because rim hooks weigh soooooooo much they will bring you to a screeching halt!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-09-23, 05:21 AM
Racing Dan

None, besides easier (cheaper) carbon rim manufacturing. The claimed benefits seem entirely made up or solutions to non existent problems. On the other hand, the downsides are very real. Diminished tyre retention, leading to a low max pressure of 72 psi (for road tyres) and a limited selection of tyres. No to mention the the fact a hookless rim is the exact same dimension as a hooked one, letting you mount a normal size clincher tyre, creating a very unsafe condition. Of course ppl will claim "user error" and they'd be right, in theory. But, only a trained eye will spot the lack of a hook and only a nerd user will know how to look for a safe tyre. - Imo, the graveyard is waiting for some unsuspecting schmo.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 02-09-23, 06:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Of course ppl will claim "user error" and they'd be right, in theory.
Check out the LarrySellerz thread on seat posts ......
Old 02-09-23, 06:27 AM
Racing Dan

Check out the LarrySellerz thread on seat posts ......
why?
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 02-09-23, 10:13 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I did not say that a hookless rim requires a tire with a lower maximum pressure. I said that a hookless rim itself is rated at a lower maximum pressure.

For example,
Zipp 303: 73 psi. 303 S Tubeless Disc-brake | WH-303-STLD-A1 | Zipp (sram.com)
FFWD Drift: 72 psi. FFWD Wheels DRIFT 36mm Gravel Disc Brake Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

Thus, even if a compatible tire itself is rated at a higher maximum pressure, ETRTO says not to inflate it above 73 psi when mounted on a hookless rim.
And why exactly it is a disadvantage?
Old 02-09-23, 12:35 PM
Racing Dan

And why exactly it is a disadvantage?
One disadvantage is, you may not be able to seat the beads without exceeding the safe pressure limit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.