Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 06:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Threw a new min line on it, plenty of post left.
Just re-install the post so the original line is below the clamp -- it'll be fine.
Old 02-13-23, 07:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

Threw a new min line on it, plenty of post left.
That's not how it works
Old 02-13-23, 07:30 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
An already too-small bike with an even shorter seat post?

I propose a toast to your knees: they were fun while they were alive.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-13-23, 10:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
LarrySellerz I don't know what your plan is but stop. Just stop. Seriously stop, as much as I get frustrated by you and this sort of nonsense, I don't want anyone getting in a wreck or hurt in that way! That seatpost is long done and needs to go in the trash. Get a new seatpost from a reputable maker and install it properly or get an actual real mechanic to install it properly.

Also keep in mind the bike is still too small so I would also get a properly sized bike. You will be much happier but in the end it is not totally dangerous, it will just cause long term damage to your body.
Old 02-13-23, 11:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
LarrySellerz I don't know what your plan is but stop. Just stop. Seriously stop, as much as I get frustrated by you and this sort of nonsense, I don't want anyone getting in a wreck or hurt in that way! That seatpost is long done and needs to go in the trash. Get a new seatpost from a reputable maker and install it properly or get an actual real mechanic to install it properly.

Also keep in mind the bike is still too small so I would also get a properly sized bike. You will be much happier but in the end it is not totally dangerous, it will just cause long term damage to your body.
What would have happened is someone told Pollock to stop when he threw paint on a canvas, when Coco Channel had her first fashion show, when Elvis got on stage, Rodin exhibited his sculptures, when Lenny Bruce performed his comedy. Who are we to say stop! We could be witness to the ultimate expression of Bike Forums content.

Larry is at least unique and not repeating and debating the same worn out cycling wives tales from the 50’s.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-14-23, 12:22 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
LarrySellerz I don't know what your plan is
Climbing bike for PRs. This bike is also stuck in the big ring. The super low seat will be out of the way (like a bmx bike or mountain bike with dropper post) and its going to be ridden standing up. The gearing will be high so you'll want to stand anyways.

Its like the people who go for a strava PR with the seatpost removed but more sensible.

The ultra light broken seatpost (you cannot buy them this light at this price point) is attractive for this function. Probably gonna slam it all the way down, and once i'm in good shape in a few months ill try to set some personal bests on it.

There are 2 upside down broken bikes in that graveyard pictured above, so im sure I can take a seatpost from there if I decide to turn this back into a sit-down bicycle.

Ooh and by the way that stub left over in the seatpost was like 3 inches, it doesn't take a cervelo engineer to do some napkin math that hints that the post was trashed before the final installation. It would have failed if installed a bit lower, that wasn't the problem lol. People lasering onto that detail are missing the forest for the trees. Also the clamp itself looks kind of cheap and dinky I wonder if that is part of the issue. There is only one bolt to tighten, the style where you have two might grip more evenly. The bolt was noticeably tight, not disturbingly so but I don't have a "feel" for tightening onto carbon like I do for metal so its hard for me to say if it was overtightened.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-14-23 at 12:43 AM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-14-23, 12:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Well played, Larry.

:golfclap:

🤣🤣🤣
Old 02-14-23, 06:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
LarrySellerz , I'm pretty sure you're trolling at this point. But if not, I have two words for you. Torque wrench.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-14-23, 07:18 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Climbing bikes for PR requires a seat post with a maximum extension line, using one previously having a minimum insertion line could be.....never mind...
Old 02-14-23, 07:46 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts

The ultra light broken seatpost (you cannot buy them this light at this price point) is attractive for this function.....
By the same line of reasoning, you don't really need both ends of the handlebar to steer the bike. Chop off one end there by the stem and you'll save a LOT of weight!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-14-23, 08:30 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
My response above was all tongue-in-cheek to lighten things up a bit.
Old 02-14-23, 09:21 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
The bolt was noticeably tight, not disturbingly so but I don't have a "feel" for tightening onto carbon like I do for metal so its hard for me to say if it was overtightened.
It was 100% overtightened. That along with being beyond the minimum insertion point is why it failed.

If you really want to use what's left to make a standing hill climb bike then that's going to be fine as long as you don't actually use it.
Old 02-14-23, 09:39 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
It was 100% overtightened. That along with being beyond the minimum insertion point is why it failed.
I'm skeptical of the "beyond minimum insertion point (MIP)" theory. Those are there to protect the frame and do little to protect the post.

What did sticking the post out beyond MIP line really do to the post, other than give the post an ever so slightly longer lever arm?

I'm on the "damaged by crummy clamp that was overtightened" team, with an option to join the "damaged by some reckless riding--we're talking about Larry here" team.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-14-23, 10:00 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
If you put a piece of rebar in it and fill the rest with grout, it should be a lot stronger.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-14-23, 10:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Climbing bike for PRs. This bike is also stuck in the big ring. The super low seat will be out of the way (like a bmx bike or mountain bike with dropper post) and its going to be ridden standing up. The gearing will be high so you'll want to stand anyways.

Its like the people who go for a strava PR with the seatpost removed but more sensible.

The ultra light broken seatpost (you cannot buy them this light at this price point) is attractive for this function. Probably gonna slam it all the way down, and once i'm in good shape in a few months ill try to set some personal bests on it.

There are 2 upside down broken bikes in that graveyard pictured above, so im sure I can take a seatpost from there if I decide to turn this back into a sit-down bicycle.

Ooh and by the way that stub left over in the seatpost was like 3 inches, it doesn't take a cervelo engineer to do some napkin math that hints that the post was trashed before the final installation. It would have failed if installed a bit lower, that wasn't the problem lol. People lasering onto that detail are missing the forest for the trees. Also the clamp itself looks kind of cheap and dinky I wonder if that is part of the issue. There is only one bolt to tighten, the style where you have two might grip more evenly. The bolt was noticeably tight, not disturbingly so but I don't have a "feel" for tightening onto carbon like I do for metal so its hard for me to say if it was overtightened.
This is the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-14-23, 11:26 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'm skeptical of the "beyond minimum insertion point (MIP)" theory. Those are there to protect the frame and do little to protect the post.
Every frame could have a different insertion requirement. How would a stem manufacturer know where to put the insertion mark?
Old 02-14-23, 11:28 AM
tomato coupe

... it doesn't take a cervelo engineer to do some napkin math that hints that the post was trashed before the final installation.
Okay, let's see your "napkin" math.
Old 02-14-23, 12:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Every frame could have a different insertion requirement. How would a stem manufacturer know where to put the insertion mark?
Take a look at some frames within arms reach, wave their arms around a little, take and educated guess.

In other words, "engineering".

Old 02-14-23, 12:10 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Take a look at some frames within arms reach, wave their arms around a little, take and educated guess.

In other words, "engineering".
To be clear, you're saying the seat post manufacturers put arbitrary insertion lines on their seat posts to protect frames?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-14-23, 12:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The seat post manufacturers (see post #269, above for a good laugh) defend themselves by figuring the force of a rider of whatever weight along particular lever (exposed seat post) and decide how much force the post van bear.

As I understand it, even though the most force is reacted at the rim (where the post meets the back of the top of the seat tube) in actuality, force is spread along the entire inserted forward face of the seat post (it levers against the front inside of the seat tube, with the back of the rim as the fulcrum) so the longer the inserted portion, the longer the lever arm and the lower the focused force at any one point.
Old 02-14-23, 12:24 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
To be clear, you're saying the seat post manufacturers put arbitrary insertion lines on their seat posts to protect frames?
If you think 3mm is the difference between fine and broken, you’ve probably never met an engineer.
Old 02-14-23, 12:26 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rosefarts
If you think 3mm is the difference between fine and broken, you’ve probably never met an engineer.
What does that have to do with seat post manufacturers trying to protect frames?
Old 02-14-23, 12:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So you have trouble riding a normal bike. Got it.

I cannot fathom why you choose to follow or participate in normal bike forums when there is a sub forum completely focused on the kind of bikes you prefer.
Define "normal"!!!
Old 02-14-23, 12:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yep.

But I wouldn't call it arbitrary. A considerable amount of hand waving goes into picking the position of a min insertion line.

Old 02-14-23, 12:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So you have trouble riding a normal bike. Got it.

I cannot fathom why you choose to follow or participate in normal bike forums when there is a sub forum completely focused on the kind of bikes you prefer.
Wouldnt "normal" dictate this rider should have a frame that should be sized to his body, and then a "fit" procedure be done. After all a true cyclist must follow all the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.