Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Light Recommendations

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-17-23, 10:46 AM
buffalo_cody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After about a 12 year hiatus it looks like I may have the chance to get back into bike commuting. I'm not sure if it's the change in city (Buffalo, NY to Albuquerque, NM) or just being 12 years older, but I'm a lot more concerned about getting hit by a car so I want to make sure I'm seen.

I used to use a PB Super Flash rear light and Magic Shine front light (on flash during daylight). My original Super Flash has been replaced with rechargeable one and my Magic Shine still works, but I think I want to upgrade or add an additional rear light. I was looking at the Magic Shine rear lights, because I'm familiar with the brand. What other brands or models does everyone recommend? I'd take recommendations for front lights as well. I'm less concerned with smart lights and bluetooth connectivity, on/off works fine.

Thanks
Likes For buffalo_cody:
Old 03-17-23, 10:54 AM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've used the cygolite hotshot since upgrading from a superflash https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-150-usb/
Likes For ratell:
Old 03-17-23, 11:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The Hotshot works well, the Superflash works well. Rather than worry about selecting the Absolute Best Light(TM), get two or three. Any Best Light looks pretty dark when the battery runs down, so make sure you've still got one working well when that happens.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-17-23, 12:12 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
The Garmin Varia rtl515 works well for me as a solo rider. It has various settings, but I use the flashing mode since nobody is on my wheel. Some of my other rear lights do that, too. The Bontager Flare is nice. But the Varia has a feature I use more and more: the radar feature. Granted, it needs either a Garmin head unit or your phone app, but it is great at picking up traffic behind me. It gives visual and audible cues. I do use a mirror, but the Varia is very accurate.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 03-17-23, 02:58 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
DiNotte Lighting :: Products

Expensive as hell. I mean, seriously expensive especially compared to the chinese stuff you can buy. But great quality, reliability and support. If you want something that will last a long time and you can get support for, check them out.
Likes For woodway:
Old 03-18-23, 06:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I've never had anything super fancy, but it seems like the biggest change for feeling visible for me was putting additional flashers on my helmet and then running them during the day. I suppose putting lights up above the hoods of most vehicles that can be seen through other car windows.

Although your question was specifically about a rear light, I just want to mention that after 30 years of bike commuting i traffic I cannot overstate the importance of a mirror or mirrors (the glasses-mount Take-A-Look is my favorite) and AirZound Air Horn (or similar).

See. Be Seen. Be Heard.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-18-23, 10:34 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
As someone who used the exact setup (MS front + PBSF rear) 10+ years ago, I can say that a lot has changed. During this 10+ years, smartphones have become ubiquitous, and there are more drivers on the road, so it's definitely more dangerous out there now.

I no longer commute but I run front and rear lights day and night. You cannot be too safe.

Talking about just the rear now, I've been impressed by Lezyne lights. They are very bright even during the day. I used them as daytime lights until very recently, when I switched over to a Magene radar light (the Garmin Varia is a more popular model). The radar alerts require a head unit (head unit beeps when vehicles approach, and there's also a visual indicator on the screen) but you can also run the light on their own - it flashes when vehicles approach rapidly from behind. For a while I also used a Cycliq Fly6 camera light and while it works well I prefer to just use the radar light. I still think the Lezyne is brighter and more noticeable but I prefer the radar functionality nowadays.
Old 03-20-23, 07:54 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalo_cody
... I want to make sure I'm seen.
For a taillight (or pair of them) -- take a look at the CygoLite HyperShot 350.

I've got a couple of these. Very bright. A few different modes, so you can pick your brightness and flashing sequence. On "high" and flashing at different rhythms, the things are impossible to miss even at fairly great distances. Where I live, there are several narrower, winding roads with tons of tree cover that blot out much of the light even during bright mid-day rides. Can be dangerous, unless the bike's lighting is stellar. IP64 dust/water resistant. IMO, the HyperShot 350 is. Can recharge via attaching a battery bank, or can remove and use USB to charge. One on the tail of your bike's rack or seatpost, and one on the rear of your helmet ... you'll be impossible to miss.

https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

For a headlight, take a look at CygoLite's Metro Pro and Ranger series of headlights -- CygoLite Metro Pro 1100. Or perhaps the Ranger 1500 or 1800 Endurance, if you want similar controls but much brighter output.

I've got the MP 1100. It's bright enough for me, great for an urban environment where being seen is vital. Control over the brightness and flash sequences. USB charging.

https://cygolite.com/product/metro-pro-1100-usb/
Old 03-20-23, 08:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,870 Times in 4,635 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The Hotshot works well, the Superflash works well. Rather than worry about selecting the Absolute Best Light(TM), get two or three. Any Best Light looks pretty dark when the battery runs down, so make sure you've still got one working well when that happens.
This. For a tail light, run one flashing light, one steady beam. Get them as far apart as possible by mounting one to the seatpost and the other to a seatstay. A flashing light gets drivers' attention, and a steady beam makes it easier for them to judge your location.

Originally Posted by IcySwan1
The Garmin Varia rtl515 works well for me as a solo rider. It has various settings, but I use the flashing mode since nobody is on my wheel. Some of my other rear lights do that, too. The Bontager Flare is nice. But the Varia has a feature I use more and more: the radar feature. Granted, it needs either a Garmin head unit or your phone app, but it is great at picking up traffic behind me. It gives visual and audible cues. I do use a mirror, but the Varia is very accurate.
Doesn't need to be a Garmin head unit -- most recent gps computers will work with a Varia tail light. Use it on the seatpost as one of your two tail lights. Just one caveat, though: if you are in an urban area, with lots of vehicles, Varia is far less useful as it will just show cars continually coming up behind you. It is most useful if you are occasionally passed by vehicles, i.e. in situations where you may not be expecting them. Then, the alert is truly useful.
Old 03-21-23, 07:55 AM
KJL

Bikes: Borealis Flume - Diamondback Hanjo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using a combo of a Nightrider Sabre 110 on my post and a Exposure link plus on my helmet. I also use a bike mirror attached to my glasses and that gives me some piece of mind of what is going on behind me. I feel safer riding in the dark (morning) more so than sunny daytime when sun may be in drivers eyes.
Likes For KJL:
Old 03-21-23, 08:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
DiNotte Lighting :: Products

Expensive as hell. I mean, seriously expensive especially compared to the chinese stuff you can buy. But great quality, reliability and support. If you want something that will last a long time and you can get support for, check them out.
Several years ago I was a couple blocks behind the brightest rear light I had ever seen. I chased the guy down (<pant> <pant>) and asked him the brand. It was a Dinotte 300R. I persuaded my wife to get me one for christmas. It is amazingly bright. I can see it reflected in signs several blocks behind me; I keep it aimed slightly downward so as not to blind drivers.
It's a bit heavy compared to other lights because its body is solid aluminum, but it is a solid piece.
I see it has been replaced by THIS model, which I have not seen... but I don't doubt that it is bright.
Now, for full disclosure, I no longer use the Dinotte as much for commuting because I use it on my road bike. I use a Vizy light on my folder. It's not as bright, but it's more than adequate. It's lighter and requires less frequent charging.

The Dinotte 300R

The Vizy

The Vizy projects light on the pavement. This is washed out during the day, but seems like a good idea at night. The rear-facing light is visible during the day.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 03-24-23, 04:07 AM
Cscottdavis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle light recommedations

Rear lights I use regularly: (1) Cateye Viz 450 and (2) Cygolite Hypershot 350.

BLUF: I will probably – at this time – buy both again in the future and my favorite of the two is the Cygolite Hypershot.

Why:

(1) Cateye Viz 450: Very eye catchy flash pattern. Seems fairly bright. With an adaptor, fits great on my rear rack. Has a nice form factor.

(2) Cygolite Hypershot 350: Has a nice alternating flash mode that – I think – is vaguely close to a police light in pattern. Very bright. Has a permanently built in clip that makes it super easy to zip tie to my bicycle helmet. The clip mounts to the adaptors – included in purchase - to attach to the bicycle frame. However, the adaptor to attach to a bicycle rack is an additional purchase.

What I don’t like:

(1) Cateye Viz 450: I think – but do not have a way to measure – that you don’t get the full 450 lumens. Think it is five 90 lumen lights.

(2) Cygolite Hypershot 350: I think – but do not have a way to measure – that it is one 250 lumen light and one 100 lumen light so, again, you do not get the full 350 lumen brightness. Also, it has seven or eight modes and each of them is adjustable in term so brightness and speed (flashing modes) so super complex – IMHO – to find your favorite mode the first time.

Honorable Mention: CatEye Reflex Bicycle Rear Safety Light. I use this with a rear basket from time to time. Automatically turns on based on light and motion sensors, great for set up once and forget. Meets the requirement for rear reflector in those jurisdictions that require and enforce such a thing.

Front lights I use regularly: (1) Bontrager Ion Pro RT Front Bike Light and (2) Niterider Micro 900.

BLUF: I will probably – at this time – buy both again in the future. However, I could be convinced to upgrade either to something else for more lumens and longer runtimes if another brand makes a plausible and compelling case.

Why:

(1) Ion Pro: Bright. Decent runtime. Compatibility with BLENDR mounts. I have about a week or two every year at 15 – 25 degree Fahrenheit and the light does well enough in the cold for a trip to the grocery store and other errands.

(2) Micro 900: In the blinky mode, gives the same lumens as the in the brightest steady state mode. Talking heads on YouTube say it is a relatively lite weight. With some go pro adaptors, I can mount it on my bicycle helmet and run it in blinky mode to be more seen by motorists.

What I don’t Like:

(1) Ion Pro: Seems a bit pricey especially after buying addition BLENDR mounts.

(2) Micro 900: Light weight and low cost means this light does not do well in cold weather compared to the Ion Pro. On 25 F and below days, I carry a battery bank, cable, and wall wort to charge at my destination.

Hope this helps. Would really enjoy hearing about what you finally go with and what you like and do not like about the products that you ultimately purchase.
Old 03-24-23, 07:34 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I see it has been replaced by THIS model, which I have not seen... but I don't doubt that it is bright.
My original taillight was an old Dinotte 140. After more than 10 years of daily commuting with it, one of the battery wires broke. EVen though it was 10 years old, Dinotte took it back for a discount on the light that is linked in the quote. It's built very well and bright as hell. Charges via USB which is convenient. Highly recommend.
Old 03-26-23, 04:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
If your city is well lit, you may not need a super bright taillight. I think having more than one light simultaneously can enhance attention grabbing. If they flash at different rates, it can help. If one is steady and one is flashing, it can help. If you have three, it can help. Then of course, this adds complexity, i.e. you have more things to charge and mount.

I sometimes use a spoke-mounted light. It's not bright but it is very much an attention grabber. I've had strangers compliment me on it. I put it on the rear wheel, as when it's on the front, it distracts me. Some have one on each wheel. My spoke like uses two CR-2016 cells which is annoying. I can get away with using a single CR-2032 cell which has twice the capacity and half the voltage, and it's kind-of OK.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.