Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Broken 105 Chain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Broken 105 Chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 09:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
In my fleet, chain stay length is a major determinant of chain life. A shorter chain has to operate over higher angles between the chainrings and cassette and seems to wear faster for that reason.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-13-21, 11:46 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
In my fleet, chain stay length is a major determinant of chain life. A shorter chain has to operate over higher angles between the chainrings and cassette and seems to wear faster for that reason.
This is more food for thought. I am currently using the medium cage 105 (RD-5800) derailleur (because my bike came with a 11-32 cassette) with an Ultegra 12-25 cassette, so the chain geometry is not ideal, i.e., the respective centers of the cassette, guide pulley, and tension pulley are not all in a straight line that is perpendicular to the ground when the chain is on the big chain ring and smallest cog as shown in the Shimano dealer manual under "Assemble with sprocket max 27T or less".
Old 04-13-21, 11:50 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Iride01
As for your chain breaking. I tend to believe that those that wear out their chains in a short amount of mileage or those that break their chains tend to be those that can put hellatious amounts of power into their cranks. If you continue to have such issues, I'd suggest you simply try using lower ratio gearing and spin a little bit more cadence.

But it's only a thought... I've no idea of studies on the issue.
As a MAMIL with a post-graduate professional degree (but not in dentistry; why do cycling dentists catch so much flak?), I am sure that I do not make "hellatious amounts of power" at any time, even during the short sprint to rush home. Most likely I have a defective link in my old chain exacerbated by the soak in purple degreaser described above.
Old 04-13-21, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
.................... why do cycling dentists catch so much flak?......................
Do they? I never realized that. You should have heard us at the airport talking about doctors and their Beechcraft Bonanza's. <grin>
Old 04-13-21, 02:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do they? I never realized that. You should have heard us at the airport talking about doctors and their Beechcraft Bonanza's. <grin>
Cervélos kill dentists?
Old 05-21-23, 05:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I cannot believe that Silca just straight up took my photo without credit or link.

Hydrogen Embrittlement, Can You Really Break a Chain? – SILCA
Old 05-21-23, 06:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I cannot believe that Silca just straight up took my photo without credit or link.

At least you now know why your chain broke.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-22-23, 05:27 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts

You should get a lifetime supply of Nastro Piloti bar tape as compensation.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-22-23, 07:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts

Since they're using it "for profit" (i.e., to sell their products), that likely qualifies as copyright infringement. You could contact them and ask them to take it down.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-22-23, 07:35 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Since they're using it "for profit" (i.e., to sell their products), that likely qualifies as copyright infringement. You could contact them and ask them to take it down.
It also really surprises me they did it.
Old 05-22-23, 07:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
the BF terms of service pasted below:

Conceivably BF provided this content to Silca.
Conceivably BF could pursue Silca to take it down or remunerate BF?

"You automatically grant and assign to us, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant and assign to us, a perpetual, irrevocable, unlimited, fully paid, fully sub-licensable (through multiple tiers), worldwide license to copy, perform, display, distribute, prepare derivative works from (including, without limitation, incorporating into other works) and otherwise use any content that you post. You also expressly grant and assign to us all rights and causes of action to prohibit and enforce against any unauthorized copying, performance, display, distribution, use or exploitation of, or creation of derivative works from, any content that you post (including but not limited to any unauthorized downloading, extraction, harvesting, collection or aggregation of content that you post)."
Old 05-22-23, 08:05 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

"You automatically grant and assign to us, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant and assign to us, a perpetual, irrevocable, unlimited, fully paid, fully sub-licensable (through multiple tiers), worldwide license to copy, perform, display, distribute, prepare derivative works from (including, without limitation, incorporating into other works) and otherwise use any content that you post. You also expressly grant and assign to us all rights and causes of action to prohibit and enforce against any unauthorized copying, performance, display, distribution, use or exploitation of, or creation of derivative works from, any content that you post (including but not limited to any unauthorized downloading, extraction, harvesting, collection or aggregation of content that you post)."
Damn, a play right out of the FaceBook terms of service.
Old 05-22-23, 08:17 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts

I think it's far more likely that a Silca intern was tasked with finding a photo of a broken chain, opened up Google and typed "broken bike chain" and this thread came up. Right click- save as.
I'd be willing to cut Silca some slack on this topic - they're posting a blog, not writing for the New York Times.

That said, when I click on the link I don't see the photo. The main blog page that shows thumbnail images shows a different broken chain photo. Maybe they took it down?
Old 05-22-23, 08:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Agree anything you post here is likely going to be "public domain" so unless it's over the line I would accept it.
Old 05-22-23, 09:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'd be willing to cut Silca some slack on this topic - they're posting a blog, not writing for the New York Times.
Actually, news coverage would most likely constitute 'fair use,' while using the photo for commercial purposes (as is Silca, since they are using it to sell chain cleaning substances) would be more likely to constitute infringement.

However, if BF allows Silca to pilfer the photos, all bets are off.
Old 05-22-23, 10:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I contacted Silca and Silca offered to take it down, so I supposed it has done so. I also asked how long my photo has been up on the Silca blog, but have not heard back.
Old 05-22-23, 10:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

That may be so, but a grant of "all rights and causes of action" is vague and unclear as to the scope of the grant. The better practice even when it comes to a grant of "exclusive rights" is to specify whether the scope of such exclusivity extends to excluding the grantor.
Old 05-31-23, 07:23 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
you can get a new Dura-Ace chain on eBay for around $20
Old 06-01-23, 05:04 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
you can get a new Dura-Ace chain on eBay for around $20
yes - that’s the easy part

but is it genuine Shimano - or a counterfeit ?
Old 06-01-23, 05:13 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Originally Posted by t2p
yes - that’s the easy part

but is it genuine Shimano - or a counterfeit ?
yeah, I see what you're saying. It could be genuine, or it could be counterfeit. But, for only $20 a pop, you can buy several. Buy spare links, in case they do break. You'll get your money's worth for how ever long they will last
Old 06-01-23, 08:02 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
well then you gotta hope you have a genuine quick link - and not a counterfeit lol

and hopefully the RD was not damaged when the failed chain passed through the pulleys

and if all that checks out - gotta hope your brake pads are not counterfeits that’s crumble into pieces when you return to your car

and actually - if the counterfeit chains wear as some state they do - you could risk premature wear or damage to your cassette

so if anyone’s keeping score - I’m potentially down a chain, quick link, cassette, and RD lol

Last edited by t2p; 06-01-23 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 08:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
I'm thinking the chain material had a flaw & you pulled the short straw with that purchase.
Old 06-01-23, 08:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
is it genuine - or a counterfeit ?

This is one of the things that drives "shopping" around for the best deal.

Until the above can be resolved on the spot at the time of purchase, many will continue to seek out the cheapest price knowing the risk of it being a knock-off is rather real.
Old 06-01-23, 08:32 AM
ussprinceton

Originally Posted by t2p
well then you gotta hope you have a genuine quick link - and not a counterfeit lol

and hopefully the RD was not damaged when the failed chain passed through the pulleys

and if all that checks out - gotta hope your brake pads are not counterfeits that’s crumble into pieces when you return to your car

and actually - if the counterfeit chains wear as some state they do - you could risk premature wear or damage to your cassette

so if anyone’s keeping score - I’m potentially down a chain, quick link, cassette, and RD lol
if that is the case, bite the bullet and buy a genuine Shimano
Old 06-01-23, 09:20 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
yeah, I see what you're saying. It could be genuine, or it could be counterfeit. But, for only $20 a pop, you can buy several. Buy spare links, in case they do break. You'll get your money's worth for how ever long they will last
Might as well buy a cheap but genuine chain from a reputable brand than a fake Dura-Ace chain. Last thing you want is your chain snapping while you're sprinting and putting 1000w on your crankset. Your legs and knees will thank me later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.