Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my aluminum frame bike wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-17-23, 01:35 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I got a 2021 Canyon Endurace that currently has the tiagra groupset. I’m thankful I got a good deal on the Sram force groupset! Hopefully by the end of spring I should be upgrading it! As this is my training bike for outdoors. I’m wondering what good wheelset is good to upgrade. I’m currently riding DT Swiss E1850. People say upgrade and save more for a carbon wheelset but I already have a bike that has carbon wheels. My canyon Ultimate SLX. I was probably thinking of getting the E1600 or E1400. Any other suggestions? I’m avoiding Hunt. I don’t want to train with my ultimate because I don’t want anything to happen with that bike as that’s just for my big events and sometimes group rides if it’s a fast group.
Old 05-18-23, 06:16 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
I got a 2021 Canyon Endurace that currently has the tiagra groupset. I’m thankful I got a good deal on the Sram force groupset! Hopefully by the end of spring I should be upgrading it! As this is my training bike for outdoors. I’m wondering what good wheelset is good to upgrade. I’m currently riding DT Swiss E1850. People say upgrade and save more for a carbon wheelset but I already have a bike that has carbon wheels. My canyon Ultimate SLX. I was probably thinking of getting the E1600 or E1400. Any other suggestions? I’m avoiding Hunt. I don’t want to train with my ultimate because I don’t want anything to happen with that bike as that’s just for my big events and sometimes group rides if it’s a fast group.
So you want to make your slow bike faster, but not faster than your fast bike? Mmm… ok. I’d say bite the bullet and get an entry level carbon wheelset. If you’re avoiding Hunt, there are other options, like Chain Reaction Cycles’ Prime line of wheels, which would likely undercut a set of DT Swiss alloy wheels. Otherwise, if you’re avoiding Hunt because of the loud hubs, you could grab new Shimano 105 wheels, which aren’t a bad compromise in terms of value. Personally, unless I was riding a lot of gravel (and concerned about rock chips and not concerned about aero), I’d avoid spending good money on new alloy wheels. In fact, you could likely get just as good an improvement on weight and feel by switching to a lightweight, low rolling resistance tire (assuming the entry level Endurace came with low end or even wire beads).

If you’re set on alloy, you could get Campagnolo alloy wheels, which I like just because they have the extra bling factor with their unique lacing.
Old 05-18-23, 10:57 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
If aluminum frame harshness is an issue you are hoping to minimize - I would suggest that you be sure to run your current wheels on that bike in full tubeless mode. AFAIK - DT Swiss E1850 wheels should already be tubeless compatible. Can you share what tires you are currently running? Also, any particular unpleasant ride characteristics that the Canyon Endurace exhibits that you are hoping to improve upon?

Last edited by masi61; 05-18-23 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,818 Times in 2,977 Posts
Given that you have a high end race bike for when performance matters, I’m struggling to see any point in upgrading your training bike wheels unless there is a specific problem with its current wheels. What are you wanting to achieve here?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-19-23, 01:46 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Why not just use the wheels from your race day bike on your training bike?
Old 05-19-23, 05:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
If you really want to stick with aluminum wheels, Boyd is going to be releasing their new version of Altamont's in the first week of June I believe. Boyd makes wonderful aluminum wheels as well as carbon wheels. I got a pair of the rim brake versus when they first came out and then a pair when they made the disc version.

Old 05-22-23, 02:48 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
So this is why IMO I always buy the best bike from the start. In the end you might completely rebuild that bike and will have spent more money than just getting a Endurace 8 Disc, CF 7 Disc, or even CF SL 8 Disc. Winspace and EliteWheels are my picks. I will say Hunt's quality is hit or miss but they do have great customer service.
Old 05-26-23, 01:35 PM
andydallas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have Hunt 48s, on my alum endurace and 60s on my CF SL 8 Endurace, Hunt gives you a warranty if you tear them up in an accident they will help you replace. There are other wheels just as good, or better but honestly. I like what you get with the Hunts (which is why I have 2 pair. If you have a training bike you can save some $$ buy buying that bike's wheels from the "Hunt Renew" section which will save 20-40% because they were returned, I bought one set from the "Renew" program and were Grade B, 40% discount, honestly nothing looked wrong with the wheels that wouldn't be been there after the first few rides for the ones i bought, a couple of light scratches,,,I"ll save 40% for that
Old 05-29-23, 12:14 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
So this is why IMO I always buy the best bike from the start. In the end you might completely rebuild that bike and will have spent more money than just getting a Endurace 8 Disc, CF 7 Disc, or even CF SL 8 Disc. Winspace and EliteWheels are my picks. I will say Hunt's quality is hit or miss but they do have great customer service.
Yeah, I am probably going to end up upgrading the whole bike and just keep alum as my bike indoors for training. Just need to know which bike will be better. CF or CF SL
Old 05-31-23, 07:13 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I'd get the lightest of the two