Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat Pedals For Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flat Pedals For Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 10:42 AM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Those look like they would breath well and not that heavy. I am tempted to buy a pair.
agreed, except they are on close-out and no refund/returns, and some comments in review that they are incorrectly sized...
Old 05-11-23, 01:10 PM
Goz

Bikes: 2018 Dawes Ultra Galaxy with shimano 9050M Di2, Planet X RT-80 with 6870 Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinconn
I put MTB flats on my Contend AR and wear hiking shoes and that is exactly what happens, the pins do bite and release is easy.
This is totally me. Quechua shoes all the way. Never stopped me doing mad climbs!
Old 05-13-23, 05:19 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I'd feel pretty weird riding my road bike with flat pedals, but if you're comfortable with it, go for it. However, if the issue is being able to unclip faster and easier due to your injury, you might want to consider either (a) a pair of road pedals that will allow you to adjust the release mechanism to a super-duper low tension, or (b) a pair of cross country MTB pedals. I have Time Speciale XC/Enduro pedals on my gravel bike. The cleat is similar to Shimano SPD MTB pedals. In general, I believe that MTB clipless pedals can be adjusted to release faster and easier than most road pedals. And the Speciales have a big platform and adjustable pins in addition to the clip.
Old 05-15-23, 09:51 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Adidas Velosambas have semi-stiff soles, and you should be able to use them without cleats. I use them with SPD cleats when I’m riding in the city - less likely to have a clipping incident than with single sided road pedals.
Old 05-15-23, 11:30 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
I switched over to flat pedals with pins about 5 years ago on my touring/commuter/errand/knock-around/transportation bike.
I don't have a car so that bike gets used almost everyday for daily living.
I use skate shoes from Big 5 Sporting Goods, less than 30 bucks a pair.
Before I made the switch I also was filled with trepidation and doubt.
My vanity/ego was worried that I would not be taken as a "serious" cyclist by my pedaling peers.
But when I'm out and about I spend a fair amount of time walking around and it is so nice wearing comfortable walking shoes.
With those big, wide pedals there really is no need for a stiff sole found on specialty ($$) shoes.
I have easily (last year) knocked out 50 miles in an afternoon with no regrets (except for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus's that I'm running).
That's not to say that 3 and 2 bolt shoes don't have their place (I'm down to 3 pairs).
When I get together with "the boys" for a ride on one of my "sport" bikes then it is time for the full road warrior kit.
There is something magical about riding in a paceline, locked into your pedals, one with the bicycle, hauling a$$.
But now in my twilight (??) years those days are getting far and few between.

TLDR Don't worry about using flat pedals, you're not losing anything and you are still ahead of 99.9% of the population.
Old 05-16-23, 04:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I've ridden pinned flats with 5-10 Freeriders for 7-8 years on my C&V road bike. Once I get to 35-40 miles, I swear I can feel the pedals through the 5-10 soles. One to-do on my list is to glue some Vibram to the soles of my entry-level road shoes to get less flexible shoes.

The problem I had with clipped pedals is that the shoes I could try on were either too small/tight or too big/loose. I chose the looser version, so when I rotated my feet to release from the clip, my foot first moved inside the shoe, and then the shoe moved. That meant I couldn't reliably rotate the shoe enough to free my foot, so I fell every 3-4 rides. I don't have that problem with the pinned flats. Besides, when my knee hurts, as it often does, I can adjust my foot position on the flats.

If I raced, I might have put more effort into making clips work.
Old 05-17-23, 06:47 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
I have RaceFace Chesters (pinned flats) on my bike. My Merrill hiking shoes turned out to be just the ticket.
Old 05-17-23, 07:44 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
I’m currently using Deore XT PD-M8140 flats on my road bike. They are light, and feel super solid. I wear soft soled shoes with them and the pins really lock you on, but no problems stepping right off.
Old 05-17-23, 02:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
My favorite pedals are the Crank Bros Stamps, UFC person Connor McGregor rides a very very very nice custom made carbon road bike and uses Stamp 11s (in his case custom ones with his nickname on them) and I think they are fine. On my road bike I use XT clipless pedals personally but in the end there is nothing wrong with platform pedals especially good grippy ones like the Stamps.