Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A bit annoyed with how my LBS wrapped my wife’s bars…

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-23, 06:55 PM
dscohen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts

She doesn’t seem to care, but this feels sloppy. They didn’t even use a piece of the original tape to cover the shifter clamps. They used plain ole black cork.

Old 05-23-23, 06:58 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Sometimes, you just have to do it yourself.

My wife wraps my bars, except when my LBS wraps my bars.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-23-23, 07:11 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Park Tools has an excellent video detailing how to wrap bars. Even I could follow it, and my results look pretty good, almost like I knew what I was doing.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 05-23-23, 07:15 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Nothing beats doing it yourself if you want attention to detail.

That's a minor result as far as shop fiascos go.

Just redo it, I used that tape before and it will still stick just fine for a couple rewraps.
Likes For yaw:
Old 05-23-23, 07:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Did the tape either: A) not have enough length leftover to cut a piece off for the purpose of covering the clamps; or B) not actually supply the extra pieces for this purpose (some brands do not include these unfortunately)?
Old 05-23-23, 07:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,298 Times in 1,110 Posts
I'd be annoyed too. But like you, only a bit. And if your wife likes it, let sleeping dogs lie and just go for a ride with her.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-23-23, 08:03 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
They should 100% redo that for you. I can't believe a "pro" would wrap bars like that.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 05-23-23, 08:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Supercaz is hard to wrap as it does not stretch like some tapes do so you can get this bulging or lipping if you don't get it right as you come into the hoods. This was probably the best way to eliminate this. I will admit my taping skills lack on occasion, but I tend to use tape that has some stretch which gives me some relief around the hoods.

It's not completely horrible, but it could have been better.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-23-23 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-23-23, 08:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
What's wrong with the wrap?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-23-23, 09:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
If you wanna be super picky, you gotta do it yourself. Shops are apparently charging $20 labor to wrap bars, and I know no shop would want to pay me even min wage to spend an hour wrapping bars as anally retentive as I do.
Old 05-23-23, 10:08 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
This inspired me to throw new tape on just now.

Nobel prize worthy?

Old 05-23-23, 10:26 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Done right, you don't need the strip to fill in, everything is just covered by the way its wrapped and the hoods. Personally although I wouldn't have considered the job good enough for my results, I probably wouldn't have noticed is someone else did it and I wouldn't care enough to make any form of stink about it unless the wife really disliked it. Since she doesn't care I wouldn't waste the energy to get worked up over it, it'll get changed sooner or later. I've also found supercaz tape to be harder to use, wouldn't be surprised if a newer tech struggled with using it, was as hard to stretch and lay down as old cork, just a lot less fragile, and hard to get perfect without a lot of experience.
Old 05-24-23, 12:21 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
If you wanna be super picky, you gotta do it yourself. Shops are apparently charging $20 labor to wrap bars, and I know no shop would want to pay me even min wage to spend an hour wrapping bars as anally retentive as I do.
Hmmm. The last time I had the Velofix mechanic over to work on my bikes, he saw my new box of tape in the garage and asked if he could re-wrap my bars for me just because he loved doing it. I was going to do it myself, but I figured he could save me some time and aggravation. He did it for free and much better than I would have. I wrapped my gravel bars soon after. It came out pretty well -- but not as perfect as the Velofix guy.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 05-24-23, 04:09 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Done right, you don't need the strip to fill in, everything is just covered by the way its wrapped and the hoods. Personally although I wouldn't have considered the job good enough for my results, I probably wouldn't have noticed is someone else did it and I wouldn't care enough to make any form of stink about it unless the wife really disliked it. Since she doesn't care I wouldn't waste the energy to get worked up over it, it'll get changed sooner or later. I've also found supercaz tape to be harder to use, wouldn't be surprised if a newer tech struggled with using it, was as hard to stretch and lay down as old cork, just a lot less fragile, and hard to get perfect without a lot of experience.
I agree. If done "right" . My Domane's original wrap job [assuming done during production not at retailer] contained some very subtle looseness in one of the wrappings on one side.
Pulled it off & found no strip at the brifter clamp. Both sides were like that.
I wrapped the initial problem side nice & tight. I'll need to redo the other side over again. Should have bought two packages.
Old 05-24-23, 04:37 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If I posted a pic of my bars, 911 would blow up.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-24-23, 05:21 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
... he saw my new box of tape in the garage and asked if he could re-wrap my bars for me just because he loved doing it.
The man is a masochist.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-24-23, 05:39 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
well, they did use good tape anyway. I like that brand.
Old 05-24-23, 06:12 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Supacaz doesn't include the usual "strip" of tape used to cover the shifter clamp. I too keep spare pieces of varied tape for such needs but usually cut a short strip off my Supacaz to cover the clamp.
I do notice there is quite a bit of overlap of the tape. I usually go for the mid point or just a bit over depending on the size of the bars.
I find no real fault though I prefer to cut a short strip off rather than use a different tape.
Best to learn how to do it yourself but then you open yourself to complaint and mockery if you don't do it to everyone's expectations if you show the results.
Old 05-24-23, 09:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that it is the nature of the Supercaz tape so they did something to make it work. It is barely noticeable and not noticeable when your hand is there or while riding.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-23, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Unfortunate that bar tape which costs $25-50 depending on model and retailer cant manage to include a couple of 2" strips of tape to use under the shifters.
Old 05-24-23, 10:57 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
They should 100% redo that for you. I can't believe a "pro" would wrap bars like that.
I've walked through bike shops and seen many bars wrapped in a sloppy manner. Not just imperfect, but really amateur looking. It tells me everything I need to know about whoever assembled the bike. Because if they're not spending the time and attention to detail to get this right, where else are they cutting corners?

I hate imperfections in bar wrap; it's one of my pet peeves. I spend way too much time working to get it perfect when I do this job myself. I have a compelling need--almost an obsession--to get it as perfect as possible.
Old 05-24-23, 11:09 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Unfortunate that bar tape which costs $25-50 depending on model and retailer cant manage to include a couple of 2" strips of tape to use under the shifters.
ikr
I'm looking for some bar tape online... kinda expensive still.
Old 05-24-23, 11:11 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
At least it doesn't look like this...
Likes For ralphs:
Old 05-24-23, 11:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I think that mechanic used to work as a cook at one of our local restaurants, where peas were piled randomly on the plate and French fries were never aligned with each other. It really annoyed me.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-24-23, 01:02 PM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the inputs! I'll likely just leave it as is. I just learned something new about this shop. The shop that services my bike would never have wrapped this way, but it's about high time I give it a go.

My wife's bike also has some secondary brake levers on the bars just to the left and right of the stem. I had asked them to remove these when they were re-cabling the bike. They put this information in the work order notes, but then when I picked up the bike they didn't do it. My combined ire of them wrapping the bars this way and then not executing on the details of the work order brought me on here to vent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.