Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Switching a wheelset between two frames

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-31-20, 08:29 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I own a sprint disc and I’m considering purchasing a Venge Pro Race. I asked the seller if he would sell without the wheelset to help stay within budget. I’m am thinking about switching my carbon wheels between the two bikes. Are there any drawbacks or things to take into consideration other than the obvious pain of swapping the wheels every time I want to ride the other bike? Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 12-31-20, 08:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If they both have the same number of speeds on the cassette and the same kind of brakes, I don’t think it’s a problem. I can switch wheelsets among 3 different bikes, but they’re all rim brake wheels. Maybe there’s an extra wrinkle with discs?
Old 12-31-20, 08:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Two bikes, one wheelset?

Sure, yeah, that's a great idea.

I'd love to write more, but I've gotta go swap the engine into my other car.
Old 12-31-20, 08:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You may think it's worth saving the $$$ but it's not. If you damage a wheel you can't ride either of your bikes...think about that for a minute. You can set up both bikes to work with the one wheel set so you won't ever need to adjust anything, it's not like having one bike w/ 2 sets of wheels. It's stupid easy, so that's not an issue. The only problem would be if you damaged a wheel and couldn't ride at all.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-31-20, 09:11 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You may think it's worth saving the $$$ but it's not. If you damage a wheel you can't ride either of your bikes...think about that for a minute. You can set up both bikes to work with the one wheel set so you won't ever need to adjust anything, it's not like having one bike w/ 2 sets of wheels. It's stupid easy, so that's not an issue. The only problem would be if you damaged a wheel and couldn't ride at all.
Exactly.

One bike and two wheelsets? Sure.

One wheelset and two bikes? Nope.

How you gonna park the wheel-less bike?
Old 12-31-20, 09:28 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Exactly.

Sorry I failed to mention that I have a set of aluminum wheels that I can park it with.
Old 12-31-20, 09:41 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Check tire and rim width. Most likely they are ok.
Old 12-31-20, 09:49 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Chain & cassette tend to wear together, so they become mated over time - at least that's my experience. I would say - TRY IT OUT for awhile and see how it goes. If things don't work out, you can always get a 2nd wheelset. Small problem compared to some guys who have 9 bikes, none of which run properly
Likes For klasse:
Old 12-31-20, 10:54 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Two bikes, one wheelset?

Sure, yeah, that's a great idea.

I'd love to write more, but I've gotta go swap the engine into my other car.
Love it. Has to be the perfect post to end 2020.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-31-20, 11:15 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Check tire and rim width. Most likely they are ok.
Tire and rim width won't be a problem on 2 disc brake bikes. Read the original post again
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-01-21, 11:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassopher
Sorry I failed to mention that I have a set of aluminum wheels that I can park it with.
Sure. But in my experience, even having 2 wheel sets for one bike is less of a benefit than you’d think it is. It’s not difficult to swap wheels but it’s a lot less convenient in practice than it is on paper. You have to do a lot of planning before hand and that takes a lot of the spontaneity of riding out of the equation.

I mount studs to my spare wheel set but I generally leave them on one bike during the winter so that the bike is just ready to go. I don’t do a lot of switching back and forth because it’s just a hassle.

Your idea would require removing wheels from one bike, setting the bike aside, removing the wheels from the other bike and putting them on the first bike, then putting wheels on the second bike so that it’s not just laying around without wheels. By the time you are done swapping wheels, the desire to just go for a ride has passed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-01-21, 11:39 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
“Are there any drawbacks or things to take into consideration other than the obvious pain of swapping the wheels every time I want to ride the other bike?”

nope. It’s just a pain.

I’ve done it, but that was back when I was still figuring fit out and on a college kid budget.

unless you’re the sort who meticulously cleans their entire bike after every ride as part of the whole ride activity, buy a big bag of Uline Nitrile gloves for the swaps.
Old 01-01-21, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you’ve got a second set of wheels I would just put the B wheels on the B bike and the A wheels on the A bike.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-01-21, 12:08 PM
cxwrench

Exactly.

Doesn't get much easier...

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-01-21, 12:23 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Doesn't get much easier...

Won't that scratch the brifters?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old 01-01-21, 12:26 PM
cxwrench

Won't that scratch the brifters?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Arrrrggghhhhhhh...

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-01-21, 03:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Why not just use the aluminum wheels? Is it because you will be 19 seconds slower over 40mi of riding at 22mph?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-01-21, 11:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I personally would opt for an inexpensive, but decent second set of compatible (i.e. disk and cassette hub) wheels if the spare ones you have aren't. That way you have full redundancy in complete bikes ready to go and also wheels if you need it. You can certainly swap the "better" wheels to whatever bike you want to for occasions that warrant it, but you won't need to. You can grab whatever bike whenever you want. For example, maybe you prefer to ride one rather than the other if it's going to rain, and it is unexpectedly threatening - just grab it and go. if you're in a hurry, like you're late to a group ride and the bike you want to ride has a flat, just grab the other one and go or quickly put on the other wheels rather than fix the flat. Maybe you need to true an wheel but just aren't getting around to it. Etc. Even though it's not a big deal to swap wheels around every once in a while, you'll find it's more of a hassle at times than you want to put up with. For more than one reason, i's nice to have total redundancy. Plus the inexpensive but decent wheels are just fine compared to the nicer ones. JMHO, but you can find inexpensive, decent wheels easily for less than $400, probably closer to $200 used or close out.
Old 01-02-21, 12:09 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
The OP asked the following question looking for drawbacks or things to take into consideration other than the bolded text:

I own a sprint disc and I’m considering purchasing a Venge Pro Race. I asked the seller if he would sell without the wheelset to help stay within budget. I’m am thinking about switching my carbon wheels between the two bikes. Are there any drawbacks or things to take into consideration other than the obvious pain of swapping the wheels every time I want to ride the other bike? Thanks in advance for advice.
So far, in fine BF tradition, almost everyone has basically commented on the bolded text.

To answer the OP. If the brakes line up, the tires clear each frame set and the cassettes line up, so the shifting works, there is no problem. Wheel swaps take one or two minutes once you work out a system for supporting the bike, like a bike stand or pads. People with SS/FG flip flop wheel sets remove and reverse their rear wheels on the road as a design feature.

It's not rocket surgery.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-21 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 12:20 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have multiple bikes, wheels and cassettes. I switch the wheels and cassettes around among the various bikes all the time. Only thing I do is put it on the stand and check derailleur adjustment carefully before riding and really watch chain wear. A lot of work, yes; but also lots of flexibility and variety.
Old 01-02-21, 07:21 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The OP asked the following question looking for drawbacks or things to take into consideration other than the bolded text.

So far, in fine BF tradition, almost everyone has basically commented on the bolded text.
The OP’s question is akin to asking Mrs Lincoln, “Aside from the gunfire, how did you like the play?’
Old 01-02-21, 10:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
If each bike is set up to work with that same wheel set, swaps should be very smooth.

Main drawback I see is that if you have two bikes, wouldn’t you like to have them set up for different purposes? Or at least slightly different? And if that is the case, would it also not be preferable to run different tires? And if you need to swap tires, it defeats the purpose of having being able to easy swap.
Old 01-02-21, 10:51 AM
Happy Feet

The OP’s question is akin to asking Mrs Lincoln, “Aside from the gunfire, how did you like the play?’
Not really. As noted, the idea of having to remove a wheelset in the era of non bolted axles isn't as onerous as some would suggest.

If you look at the two bikes he's talking about they are higher end road frames. He wants to save some bucks at the moment by using the same higher end wheel set for both.

Some suggest a cheaper set of wheels but why do that for a higher end frame? That would be a waste of money long term as the user would eventually replace them.

I think I get what hes asking. He wants to buy a second expensive frameset. In the interim, before he can afford a second expensive set of wheels for the second frame, is there a problem using the wheelset he already has. The answer is, taking brake, gear and tire size into consideration, no. Going on and on about the inconvenience, which he up front acknowledged, is redundant.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-21 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 10:55 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If each bike is set up to work with that same wheel set, swaps should be very smooth.

Main drawback I see is that if you have two bikes, wouldn’t you like to have them set up for different purposes? Or at least slightly different? And if that is the case, would it also not be preferable to run different tires? And if you need to swap tires, it defeats the purpose of having being able to easy swap.
I also though having two bikes that do the same thing was odd but from my experience in the CandV subforum it seems some people do collect multiples of the same bike. I find it odd because I try to have one from each genre.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-21 at 12:38 PM.