Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 04:53 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
OK, now I have to post this. This is my only really rarely worn watch, more due to the massive case size than anything else. It's made by a company who are taking full size pocket watches and turning them into wrist worn by modern case manufacturing. They use 3D printers for some, but this one is machined. I love their company's ethos and the training veterans program to have more qualified mechanical watch technicians. What really sold me though was when they did the Veteran's Day model that I bought in the first year of production. They are taking the WWII navigator Hamiltons, which were used by the bomber crews, and putting them into modern cases. It wears like a clock on your wrist, but is cool and supports a very interesting American company.

Vortic Watch Military Edition

It arrived with this very nice display stand, that's the original case on the left

Seen here dwarfing my Seiko SPB143
Likes For poprad:
Old 12-12-21, 08:49 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
$12 Facebook find. Started right up and +\- 30 sec in 24 hours.

Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 12-13-21, 07:22 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
Oh man...how did I miss this thread? Watches! I love 'em all...from the pocket variety to the newest mechanicals...I draw the line at the touch screen stuff, which I equate to the watch version of carpet fiber frames. Now I have to go through some of mine and post...sadly my rail-era engineer ones are in a safe in Oregon.

I'll start with this, perhaps my coolest from a pure engineering perspective. If you haven't read the story of the Seiko Spring Drive movements you're missing out. As someone who was once an electronics tech and also a mechanic this one hits all the cool points. When you see one the first time the constant glide movement of the second hand is almost spooky. I got this titanium GMT as a "I survived" gift after a bad crash on the bike last summer:

It doesn't look as big on the wrist as this pic angle makes it appear, and despite its size it's very light due to the Ti case.

Seiko really is the Shimano of the watch world to me. I have several, and was hooked when I got one of their basic SKX dive models back in 1997. They're damn near indestructible, and after 23 years that thing still keeps very acceptable time and has never been serviced beyond cleaning.

Will post more later, thanks for starting this one OP.
I'm not a watch person but you just sold me. Spring drive is incredible and this video kinda blew my mind.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-18-21, 09:26 AM
Flatforkcrown

How do y’all feel about small divers?
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 12-18-21, 10:02 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
A couple old vintage military watches and one of my current wearers (Stowa flieger)

Old 12-18-21, 10:11 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
A couple more oldies.

Old 12-19-21, 01:23 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-19-21, 07:04 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

@Bogester : Love these, especially that old Bulova. I have one like it, milspec from the 40s, white faced and zero finishing on the case:

It's a tiny case compared to modern styles, here's it with my relatively small SPB143 diver:

Last edited by poprad; 12-19-21 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 07:31 AM
poprad

OK, I want to plug a great watch guy. Chris who runs Wilson Watch Works is a true gentleman of the old school. I've purchased three items from him, and when one had a small defect (not his fault, manufacturer issue) he was quick to ship it back and handle the repair. I also really like what he's doing with his pocket watch into wrist case project. Wilson Watch Works

The first one I bought from him was this Marathon GSAR. It's my daily watch for every activity where I'm not comfortable wearing something more delicate or thief-magnetic. He fully disassembles them and ruby bead blasts the cases for a totally non-polished look. I love that it doesn't scratch and looks like the tool watch that it is.

This is the GSAR with the blasted case mod. Note the interior is also blasted finished.

This is the one he takes the old small pocket movement and puts it into a modern case. The workmanship is outstanding.

Here's the back, he gets these great straps that are among the best I've used. They're nice and supple right out of the box, but not too much so. The fit when wearing is perfect.
Likes For poprad:
Old 12-19-21, 09:09 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Love these updates, you guys have great taste in watches. Must be the cycling gene!
Old 12-19-21, 11:01 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
the "original" pilot's watches were done as described, a pocket watch movement, re-cased so it can be worn on the wrist.

probably in the late 20s. Of course that was a time when a timepiece was a critical navigation aid. Not like the garmin 1000 in your plane, with GPS, Weather overlay, and synthetic vision.

I remember standing in line for coffee back in the early 90s, in Boston, a guy had an unusual watch that I commented on.

he said it was a 30s pilot watch, sterling silver case, wire lugs, cloissonne dial - just extraordinary. This was what got me started on watches.

Kind of like bikes ! when you see one that is so cool, so stunning, you admire the beautiful precision craftsmanship, and you just gotta have one like it.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 12-19-21 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-21-21, 05:27 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Here my little clocks collection.
the most i wear is the Cerruti , got from an auction for a really good price and it works very precisely and also the Casio G-Shock ga2100 with the custom inox bezel , that was a birthday gift from my girlfriend and i wear while i run , while dressed casual. The fossil is the first good watch i buyed ,is an automatic (i replaced only the strap , replaced the old blue navy with a gold one and i like a lot more) this for me is the eye-catcher and usually i wear in special occasion but also depends how I'm dressed and how much gold i wear on me. The festina is a gift from my passed grandpa (also before he gifted to me he got from his brother for his wedding anniversary. Rip his brother too).
And the most precious is the Seiko Italian tuna , a gift from my dad. A beautiful chronograph and diver but actually lost his waterproof because the time and the use consumed a bit (but that increase the watch value for me since my dad used for ages!). Other clocks as the sweet years , che chronotech and the Kramer were a gift from my relatives. Also Seiko and lancio are from my dad too.
sometimes i think I miss another gshock (mudmaster) or maybe a custom Vostok but probably when i can I'll buy another good watch for my dad.

Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-21-21, 03:00 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
I'm late to this party. Here are mine. Well, most of them. I have a few wrist watches, but I never use them. The one on the upper left is my "daily driver". The second pic is donor/ parts watches. I was into servicing them, but that has been put on hold for a few years.

Last edited by gearbasher; 12-21-21 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 12-22-21, 06:44 AM
Flatforkcrown

$6 eBay find. Rotor was loose and rattling in the case, but that was easy to fix.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 12-22-21, 09:11 AM
theofam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown

$6 eBay find. Rotor was loose and rattling in the case, but that was easy to fix.
What a score! Help me out on the 3 WE.
Old 12-22-21, 09:34 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
My automatic watches are a Hamilton Field Khaki Auto and a Vario Trench Auto. The Hamilton is an excellent everyday type automatic. The Vario is a very nice rendition of the 1914-18 period trench watch with a modern automatic movement in it. The Vario is particularly worth looking into if you want a trench-style watch but with modern reliability. The modern Hamilton is good if you want an everyday working at the desk type watch.

I also really like some of the better Timex battery-powered watches. I have several of the "Waterbury" line, and I have one of the Timex Midget trench watches (the Midget was limited reissue trench watch, but with a modern battery movement in it).
Old 12-22-21, 04:15 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I did a band swap since I’m all earth tones all the time
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-22-21, 10:24 PM
Flatforkcrown

Originally Posted by theofam
What a score! Help me out on the 3 WE.
maybe not the best score… it ran all day today but has been stopping this evening. I did pick up another watch from the jewelers today. It was missing a second hand when I got it, and they replaced it for $20.

Old 12-23-21, 08:06 AM
theofam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
maybe not the best score… it ran all day today but has been stopping this evening. I did pick up another watch from the jewelers today. It was missing a second hand when I got it, and they replaced it for $20.

The collection grows! I’m still unsure what the 3 represents before WE, which I presume was Wednesday abbreviated, on the previous watch.
Old 12-23-21, 11:35 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Is there actually a sewing machine thread? I'd love to show off the old Bernina, but I can't find the thread the OP mentions in this thread's title.

In any case, here is my watch.

My old dented and dinged Seiko 5. I used to have a Seiko quartz but the battery died and the replacement battery I bought wasn't any good, or leaked in it, or something, so I bought this for $25 on evilbay, figuring hey, no batteries. Band was too short, but I really prefer the metal band, so I bought the cheapest used metal band I could, to harvest replacement links, but it was gold so I had to polish the gold plating off on my scotch brite wheel.

It keeps time well enough to pass the timekeeping tests the COSC uses.

Was fixing a muffler and managed to spall the glass, so I put in a replacement glass from my old quartz, which was the same diameter (although twice as thick) and luckily I'd kept for parts. Since it's too thick, it sits a little proud of the bezel but nobody notices and maybe it's tougher. You can change the glass on these pretty easily with a C-clamp and some sockets.

The pin on the clasp for the band broke and I replaced it with a paperclip. It's not the standard pin diameter so I couldn't easily find a replacement that wasn't a zillion dollars.

I like the glass back. 21 jewels! A modern marvel, and currently my longest-lived wristwatch.

I would like to get a Raketa 24h with world-time bezel for traveling, but who knows if we will ever regularly travel internationally again, right?
Old 12-23-21, 12:38 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
Here are probably two of the cheapest watches ever made.
The Timex on the right was given to me by my mom when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. That was back in '68-'69. It still has the original band and if you wind it and give it a tap it will still run.
I bought the Casio on Canal Street in Manhattan back in '83. I wanted a cheap watch for work and for (I believe) $12 how can you go wrong. I probably spent triple that on replacement batteries and bands, but the watch made it trough 33 years of repairing conveyors. Since I retired, I haven't put a new battery in it.

Likes For gearbasher:
Old 12-23-21, 12:52 PM
poprad

those two speak one word: character. OK, maybe "frugality" as well. props.
Old 12-23-21, 01:21 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Is there actually a sewing machine thread? I'd love to show off the old Bernina, but I can't find the thread the OP mentions in this thread's title.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-machines.html

Show us the Bernina!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-23-21, 06:21 PM
Flatforkcrown

Originally Posted by theofam
The collection grows! I’m still unsure what the 3 represents before WE, which I presume was Wednesday abbreviated, on the previous watch.
Yeah, it’s got to be Wednesday.
Old 01-30-22, 06:37 PM
Flatforkcrown

New favorite
Likes For Flatforkcrown:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.