Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quarq TyreWiz

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quarq TyreWiz

Old 09-18-22, 05:11 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Quarq TyreWiz

Does anyone have experience with the Quarq TyreWiz and Garmin edge? It sounds pretty cool and I could use that information but I'm a weight weenie and it's not so pretty.
Old 09-18-22, 05:29 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 1,738 Posts
Quarq TyreWiz? Never heard of it, but based on the website description, it's a bluetooth device that transmits tire pressure data to your computer in real time.

Seriously?

What gimmicky doodad will they think of next to separate people from their money?

Old 09-18-22, 05:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
No experience but seems a lot of money for a mostly useless gadget.

You may want to cross-post in electronics forum.
Old 09-18-22, 05:52 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Quarq TyreWiz? Never heard of it, but based on the website description, it's a bluetooth device that transmits tire pressure data to your computer in real time.

Seriously?

What gimmicky doodad will they think of next to separate people from their money?
Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down. I ride 50 slow miles 5 days a week with the old woman now that she retired. I would appreciate knowing when a tire was going down and at what rate and if a pinch flat was imminent. It is something I find desirable.
Old 09-18-22, 05:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by popeye
Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down.
It's quite easy to detect when a tire is losing pressure. Especially when descending or cornering.

I don't need an expensive doodad to tell me something obvious.

Old 09-18-22, 05:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
It's a tire pressure sensor. They've been available on cars for years and even required with run-flats. They don't like sealant, at least the automotive ones don't.
Old 09-18-22, 06:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts

Seriously?

I just bought a bluetooth device that transmits the amount of money in my wallet to my Garmin. It reads zero now.
Old 09-18-22, 06:48 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
By chance I saw one just a couple of days ago. I was out doing some tests with a guy who wanted to estimate his CdA and Crr so had pruchased a Notio and a TyreWiz (two, actually), so we were discussing it. One TyreWiz was faulty, so he sent it back and was waiting for the replacement. While mentioning that it was a PITA to mount he went to unscrew the little presta nut and the TyreWiz came off in his hand. We decided to run the tests without it.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-18-22, 06:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I think a more useful gadget would be something that scans the route in front of you. It detects anything that is going to cause a flat and alerts you before it happens so you can take evasive action. It also sends you a report in future time. Not a major report, though. Something less than that.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-18-22, 09:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I saw these things for the first time on last years Paris Roubaix and I had to look them up to see what they were, then was shocked at the cost. I could see if you were racing on the cobbles, but not sure if the cost benefit ratio is quite there for general riders, however, if you feel they are worth it and will give you peace of mind while riding, have at it. Sort of like the peeps that use the Varia, I questioned it until I borrowed one on a ride and realized that I wanted that that peace of mind going forward.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-19-22, 07:37 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
If it was something like 20-30 Euros, yeah, I'd get a couple. Why not? Current prices makes it feel like a rip off, though; digital pressure gauges without BT functionality cost a couple of Euros or something like that.

For me, knowing exact tire pressure while I'm riding would be merely a "nice to know".
Old 09-19-22, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Well as a fast descender I thought you would appreciate knowing if you had had tire going down. I ride 50 slow miles 5 days a week with the old woman now that she retired. I would appreciate knowing when a tire was going down and at what rate and if a pinch flat was imminent. It is something I find desirable.
Seems like if you are watching your Garmin or other device for your tire pressure while going down a fast hill then your eyes won't be seeing what you need to see! And at speeds of downhill the wind rustling through my ears will give me no chance of hearing any audible alert.

Personally, I know when my tire pressure is low while riding.

The devices are ant+ as well as BT. But for the Garmin Edge, I think you might have to find or write your own IQ app to get that info on you Garmin Edge.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-19-22 at 08:33 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-19-22, 08:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Thought experiment: suppose this gadget was on a kickstarter. Do you think they would get enough people to prepay in order to make it to production?? With the price being about the actual price from Quarq, obv.

I am guessing probably not.
Old 09-19-22, 09:08 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by datlas
Thought experiment: suppose this gadget was on a kickstarter. Do you think they would get enough people to prepay in order to make it to production?? With the price being about the actual price from Quarq, obv.

I am guessing probably not.
Then it would have to also be a compression release. I don't think 2 wheelers are available with kickstarters anymore, anyway.

Last edited by seypat; 09-19-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 11:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Kickstarter = crowd funding... or so I thought.

Or are you making a poor attempt at humor?
Old 09-19-22, 12:34 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Iride01
Kickstarter = crowd funding... or so I thought.

Or are you making a poor attempt at humor?
Maybe. Or maybe I was thinking that the previous post was about putting a tire pressure sensor on a bike trainer wheel like this. Stupid idea. Who knows? Either way, it wasn't about crowd funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-bike-trainer
Old 09-19-22, 01:10 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Seems like if you are watching your Garmin or other device for your tire pressure while going down a fast hill then your eyes won't be seeing what you need to see! And at speeds of downhill the wind rustling through my ears will give me no chance of hearing any audible alert.

Personally, I know when my tire pressure is low while riding.

The devices are ant+ as well as BT. But for the Garmin Edge, I think you might have to find or write your own IQ app to get that info on you Garmin Edge.
Clearly it should just set off an alarm. Watching tyre pressure while riding isn't useful. If I was really concerned flatting while descending at high speed, Id take a stronger tyre over a "you are about to crash" alarm, any day. A tyre that are prone to flatting slowly is likely to instantly flat too. Fun gadget tho but too expensive...
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 09-19-22, 06:18 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
I think that since this is the "road cycling" sub-forum, y'all are missing the intended use case. I think the TyreWiz could make sense for CX, MTB, or gravel racing, where the surfaces can be far more variable than we usually see on the road. Especially in CX, you might want to know during test laps how the course is "acting" on that day so you can tune your tire pressure, and in XC MTB where you might want to lower pressure for certain sections and raise it for others.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-19-22, 06:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by RChung
I think that since this is the "road cycling" sub-forum, y'all are missing the intended use case. I think the TyreWiz could make sense for CX, MTB, or gravel racing, where the surfaces can be far more variable than we usually see on the road. Especially in CX, you might want to know during test laps how the course is "acting" on that day so you can tune your tire pressure, and in XC MTB where you might want to lower pressure for certain sections and raise it for others.
Presumably, one ought to already know the tire pressure during a ride, as a person normally inflates the tires before rolling out.

Now if you could adjust the tire pressure during a ride without stopping, that could be interesting. But this expensive doodad doesn't appear to do that.

Old 09-19-22, 07:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Now if you could adjust the tire pressure during a ride without stopping, that could be interesting. But this expensive doodad doesn't appear to do that.
The doodad that does that is a lot more expensive.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-19-22, 08:41 PM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
An interesting product until I see the price and reviews.
Old 09-19-22, 09:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
I would think a perceptual dullard would welcome the help.
Old 09-20-22, 06:43 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
In a car, it's hard to lean over the steering wheel at a light and pinch a tire or look down at it to check the pressure - you know, if it FEELS low. So sure, I like TPMS in the cars. But for $&@# sake, if you can't feel a tire going low on a road bike... come on.

Instead of adding more electronic crap to your bike, try this:
- After you air up your tires to your preferred pressure, feel the tire - like, actually use your fingers and pinch/press the tire to get used to what that ideal pressure feels like.
- Then, as your beginning your ride, look down at your tires - see how much they're bulging
- Now for the advanced stuff ;-) - if you're able, while riding, lift a tire off the ground an inch and feel how it returns. Seriously. Not a bunnyhop - just independently lifting each tire and feeling how it "hits".

The more you pay attention to how those tires feel when you know they're at the right pressure, the easier it will be notice when they're not.
Old 09-20-22, 06:53 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I'll take an actual sensor over feels every time, especially with pump manometers being generally inaccurate, but in this case it's just unreasonably expensive for what it is.
Old 09-20-22, 07:11 AM
seypat

Le me make sure I'm reading this correctly. In an XC MTB race, a rider is going to jump off her/his bike and adjust the pressure in her/his tires as the conditions changes. Is that correct? Are we talking about multi day races? I learned something today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.