Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quarq TyreWiz

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quarq TyreWiz

Old 09-20-22, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Le me make sure I'm reading this correctly. In an XC MTB race, a rider is going to jump off her/his bike and adjust the pressure in her/his tires as the conditions changes. Is that correct? Are we talking about multi day races? I learned something today.
During a race? No. He's talking about pre-riding a course and having the data to select the pressure that provides the best/desired balance for the course when it's go time.

The other device that I'd alluded to, the Scope Atmoz, actually reads *and* changes pressure on the fly. It could, in theory, be really beneficial for courses where there are differing conditions (cobbles, long stretches of smooth pavement, etc)... but that costs prolly 10x as much as the devices being mocked here.
Old 09-20-22, 07:45 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It's quite easy to detect when a tire is losing pressure. Especially when descending or cornering.

I don't need an expensive doodad to tell me something obvious.
+1. My arse feels it right away. I see no need for a gadget, but hey, everyone's different!
Old 09-20-22, 08:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
During a race? No. He's talking about pre-riding a course and having the data to select the pressure that provides the best/desired balance for the course when it's go time.

The other device that I'd alluded to, the Scope Atmoz, actually reads *and* changes pressure on the fly. It could, in theory, be really beneficial for courses where there are differing conditions (cobbles, long stretches of smooth pavement, etc)... but that costs prolly 10x as much as the devices being mocked here.
That's what I thought, but the last part of the last sentence alludes to changing pressure on the course during the event.
Old 09-20-22, 09:21 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

It would be awesome to be able to adjust pressure on-the-fly. Even better if the device could be pre-programmed to add/lower pressure at specific points around a course without any user input. That would be a potential game changer for gravel, CX and MTB racing.

For now, I guess I'll continue to use one of these, which is like $10:
Old 09-20-22, 09:32 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Le me make sure I'm reading this correctly. In an XC MTB race, a rider is going to jump off her/his bike and adjust the pressure in her/his tires as the conditions changes. Is that correct? Are we talking about multi day races? I learned something today.
I have friends who do 12 or 24-hour rides and, yes, they often do want to know both if their pressure changes over time and also what pressure is best for changing conditions. A couple of them use CO2 for inflation so they need to carry an extra pressure gauge. Fat bikes occasionally use very low pressures (like, < 10 psi) where a 1 psi difference in pressure can be a lot, and you can get that much difference with a big change in temperature (like, when inflating at home vs. riding in freezing temps).

Once again, I don't think the TyreWiz's main target is road racers (though reportedly some teams did tests using them in the run-up to Paris-Roubaix). And, as noted above, we were trying to use it during some CdA/Crr testing (but for other reasons we had to skip it). The manometers on most pumps are notoriously poor. I have a Silca Tattico BT that shows 0.5 psi increments, but each time I remove it from the valve stem I lose a little pressure, which is irksome. For those times when I'm doing experiments, I wish I had something like the TyreWiz -- but I know this is an unusual usage so I try not to project my needs and preferences onto others.
Old 09-20-22, 11:07 AM
msu2001la

Totally agree that the gauges on most floor pumps are not particularly accurate or precise. My Topeak Joe Blow floor pump can easily be +/- 5psi and I also lose a bit of air when removing the chuck.

My handheld gauge has a release valve that makes it easy to deflate small amounts of air to get within 1psi, and doesn't let any air out on removal. I don't know if it's super accurate, but it's definitely more precise and gives me repeatable numbers that are useful for setting pressure before a race.

I don't think TyreWiz solves any problems for me, as it would just be $400 worth of electronic gizmos that do the same thing that a $10 gauge can do, but I can see some usefulness for people riding extreme ultra distance races where pressure would potentially vary over many hours, and stopping to check and/or carrying a gauge isn't desirable.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-20-22, 06:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Totally agree that the gauges on most floor pumps are not particularly accurate or precise. My Topeak Joe Blow floor pump can easily be +/- 5psi and I also lose a bit of air when removing the chuck.
FYI, almost all the air you hear rushing out when you remove the chuck is the air in the pump hose, so your tire pressure really doesn't drop when you remove the chuck.

Old 09-20-22, 06:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
fyi, almost all the air you hear rushing out when you remove the chuck is the air in the pump hose, so your tire pressure really doesn't drop when you remove the chuck.
qft
Old 09-21-22, 05:48 AM
msu2001la

FYI, almost all the air you hear rushing out when you remove the chuck is the air in the pump hose, so your tire pressure really doesn't drop when you remove the chuck.
My point is that the gauge on most cheap pumps isn’t very good at measuring how much air is actually in a tire.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-22-22, 11:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
If I had to choose buying a well reading pump that's more expensive and not buying these versus owning a cheaper pump and owning this, I would own the nicer pump. I thought about these for time trial aero and CRR testing. Decided against it.

I thought folks have had success getting pretty accurate pressures with the electric pumps? Set target and it pumps it up to that.