Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Remember or Still Doing Pie Rides???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone Remember or Still Doing Pie Rides???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 09:51 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,453 Posts
jppe You are taking us down memory lane with pie / BD rides. I remember several members of the 50+ forum posting pics of pie in conjunction with a ride. I am not a pie fan. If others enjoy it on a ride, that is fine with me.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-14-22, 09:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,453 Posts
According to their website, Julian Pie Company is still up and running. Although, I have not been to Julian for years. https://www.julianpie.com/pages/locations
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-15-22, 06:16 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've never been a Pie Ride adherent. I've always viewed pir rides with a bit of amusement. Pie is nice, but it's not THAT special for me; I'd rather have a cup of cider and a couple of donuts on a crisp fall ride.
Old 09-18-22, 04:07 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Accidental Pie Ride

Did the "Twin Lights Ride" yesterday. At two of the rest stops, there was pie.

Cherry Pie at the third (of 4) rest stops.

Pecan Pie at the fourth rest stop.

I ate the pie in the photos!

- Ed
Likes For groth:
Old 09-21-22, 04:25 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Best pie I ever had was on the way to Bryce Canyon. I swiped this photo off of the internet, but it is legit. This is what their banana blueberry pie looks like. OMG.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-21-22, 07:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
A major pie-producing spot in the mountains east of Los Angeles, Oak Glen, got wiped out by heavy rainfall and subsequent mudflows this past week. Not sure if they can get the place cleaned up and operational before pie season in October (its an apple-growing region). Anyone from the San Diego area have any information on the town of Julian and their apple & pie status this years?
I heard Oak Glen was going to be open for the apple harvest. We drove up there once and there are several different orchards and restaurants. We picked apples and bought jugs of cider and juice. We bought an apple pie which was huge, (and delicious).

Oak Glen

Years ago three of us rode from the San Fernando Valley to Julian and back in 5 days. We did have pie in Julian.

Last edited by big john; 09-21-22 at 07:59 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-22, 07:45 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
The pie ride threads were always fun. Following the link above to a pie ride thread brought back lots of memories of posters no longer participating here.
In 2012 I had the privilege of meeting up with forum member billydonn for a ride in Council Bluffs Iowa and of course there was pie.
RIP my friend

Billydonn’s blog post about our meetup

https://dongreersbicyclingblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/catching-up-october-riding-was-good.html?m=1

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-29-22 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-29-22, 08:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I am jealous, no pie rides but the Central Jersey club back in the 80's often left the Highland Park Cyclery lead by Frank and his wife, I remember going to PJ pancakes in Princeton and also ice cream somewhere else. I cannot remember every seeing a pie place in NJ. I love the one between San Diego and Borego Springs in Cali

Once or twice a month, I ride to the best french bakery this side of the Atlantic and have a fruit tart and something else. Sweet Melissa's makes twist on pain au chocolate.

Riding across country on the Trans Am, I stopped at that famous pie shop in Kansas or was it in Misery? I was determined to try all of the pies but topped out at 6. Asked the owner if that was the record and he said, "No, but you did ok. We've has had some other riders eat more"
Old 10-31-22, 08:29 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am jealous, no pie rides but the Central Jersey club back in the 80's often left the Highland Park Cyclery lead by Frank and his wife, I remember going to PJ pancakes in Princeton and also ice cream somewhere else. I cannot remember every seeing a pie place in NJ."
What was the ice cream shop in HIghland Park around that time? We really enjoyed going there.