Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - who knew??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - who knew??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 03:08 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My GP had me on the usual route for carpal tunnel and I looked like a textbook case but as noted by posters above, handlebar hand position could be crucial and your CT may have nothing to do with typing.

On basically a whim of an idea I changed the handlebars on my commute bike from straight bars to drop bars and within a few days the symptoms had lessened and after two weeks . . . totally gone.

YMMV, obviously, but it's worth a try.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-27-17, 02:58 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I got the numb-hands-in-the-morning thing a few years ago. Being me, I looked it up on the internet. I found two things which cured me completely in a couple weeks:

1) Instead of using splints, I tuck my hands, held flat, under my pillow at night. I sleep on my sides or stomach, so that works fine for me.

2) I printed this out and started doing these exercises twice a day: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises

I still tuck my hands at night, but don't need to do the exercises anymore.

On the bike, I concentrate on dropping my shoulder blades down my back and relaxing my shoulders. When on the hoods, I tuck my little fingers behind the bar. That helps relax my hands. Plus of course the eternal Numb Hands post.
I did all of the above, and my CTS went away after a few months. Mine was bad enough that I couldn't hold a pen to write, and now I have no symptoms at all. I did the exercises every day.
Old 01-31-17, 12:46 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
In addition to stretching of hands and fingers I've also used a different bar wrapping system that is probably the equivalent of double wrapping such as I've read Pro's do to ride cobbles. In my case I had some sticky back foam left over from customizing my ski boots. I cut and installed two cm wide stripes under the bar tape, just on the sides, not the tops, tapered the edges carefully with a razor knife then wrapped the bars. These strips give the bars an oval shape so that the tops have more area under my hands. I've no idea if this actually helps with numbness. I know stretching does.
Old 01-31-17, 07:17 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
My first thought was much like Daniel and 79, that the problem was related to fit and hand placement.
Old 01-31-17, 08:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I did all of the above, and my CTS went away after a few months. Mine was bad enough that I couldn't hold a pen to write, and now I have no symptoms at all. I did the exercises every day.
Thanks for the trust! I've found that many physical ailments can be cured by exercise. The trick is in knowing exactly what to do.

I'll share 3 stories:
1) I was keyboarding for too many hours/day and got tendinitis in my forearms. Of course I went to the doctor. Doctor said, "OK, I can fix you right up with disability payments. Let me go get the paperwork." I told him I was self-employed and that what I wanted was to fix the tendinitis. He had no advice for that. I thought about it for a little while and recalled that my gym had a device consisting of a bar at about chest height that rotated on bearings. It had a cord attached to it which went down to a weight. The object was to roll the bar, bringing the weight up to it and then back down to the floor. I'd do that a few times in each direction. Forearms were cured in a couple weeks. RSI can be cured by strength training. Who knew, eh?
2) I had pain in my knees from cycling. Of course I went to the doctor. He measured my knee angles with a protractor device and concluded that I was physically incapable of cycling without pain and that I should quit it immediately. I'm not kidding. Instead I raised my saddle a bit and started strength training at the gym. Pain went away and never came back.
3) I had pain in my shoulders. Of course I went to the doctor. He diagnosed impingement and gave me a prescription for PT. The PT did no good at all for the impingement, though it did improve my upper body strength a little. I went looking for answers and found that all I needed to do was to hang from my hands for as long as possible (brachiate) for a few reps twice a week. Impingement pain gone.

If it hurts, you can almost always fix it.
Old 02-01-17, 08:21 AM
bikeeagle1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thanks for the trust! I've found that many physical ailments can be cured by exercise. The trick is in knowing exactly what to do.

I'll share 3 stories:
1) I was keyboarding for too many hours/day and got tendinitis in my forearms. Of course I went to the doctor. Doctor said, "OK, I can fix you right up with disability payments. Let me go get the paperwork." I told him I was self-employed and that what I wanted was to fix the tendinitis. He had no advice for that. I thought about it for a little while and recalled that my gym had a device consisting of a bar at about chest height that rotated on bearings. It had a cord attached to it which went down to a weight. The object was to roll the bar, bringing the weight up to it and then back down to the floor. I'd do that a few times in each direction. Forearms were cured in a couple weeks. RSI can be cured by strength training. Who knew, eh?
2) I had pain in my knees from cycling. Of course I went to the doctor. He measured my knee angles with a protractor device and concluded that I was physically incapable of cycling without pain and that I should quit it immediately. I'm not kidding. Instead I raised my saddle a bit and started strength training at the gym. Pain went away and never came back.
3) I had pain in my shoulders. Of course I went to the doctor. He diagnosed impingement and gave me a prescription for PT. The PT did no good at all for the impingement, though it did improve my upper body strength a little. I went looking for answers and found that all I needed to do was to hang from my hands for as long as possible (brachiate) for a few reps twice a week. Impingement pain gone.

If it hurts, you can almost always fix it.
Wow! You need a different doctor!
Old 02-01-17, 08:56 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeeagle1
Wow! You need a different doctor!
Those were all different doctors.
Old 02-01-17, 04:22 PM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
I'm scheduled to have the carpal tunnel surgery next Thursday. January 19th.
Had my surgery on January 19th and got the stitches out today. Haven't had any pain and the numbness is gone. Haven't tried riding my bike yet.
Old 09-22-22, 12:52 AM
rockkyle11

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Causes it?
The symptoms of CTS are caused by compression of the median nerve which supplies the sensation and feeling to the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers. It also supplies the muscles to the thumb on the palm which means people can report wasting and loss of size of the muscles at the base of the thumb.
Old 09-22-22, 08:18 AM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Redshift Stem

If reducing the vibration while riding will help, try the Redshift Stem. I have one on my road and gravel bikes. A little pricey but the comfort is wonderful and no I don't work for them.
https://redshiftsports.com/products/...uspension-stem
Old 09-27-22, 11:03 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Too much weight on your hands. You should be able to hold your back angle using your back muscles. If you can't, it might be because (a) the saddle is tilted too low in front, (b) your back muscles just aren't strong enough, or (c) the saddle is too far forward. And don't squeeze the handlebar too tightly.
Old 09-28-22, 09:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Folks, this is an old thread.