Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?

Old 08-05-22, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
"why aren't you in the bike lane"
Old 08-07-22, 03:00 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 840 Posts
this happened to me a couple of days ago. I was riding on the bike/walking path in a very low traffic area, the bike path follows along side the country road and maybe at times gets within 8-10 feet or so of the county road. I had not seen another person walking or biking on the path except my wife who was a riding a couple hundred feet behind me. In fact I don't think I have ever encountered anyone else on this path ever. A freaking US mail carrier who was probably pushing 70 stopped and got out of his mail jeep and started waving a red bucket at me, to get my attention I guess, and yelled at me to stay on the very right side of the path. Kind of caught me by surprise. I said "excuse me" and he said he thought that I was taking up too much of the path and needed to stay to the far right at all times..no wonder we have such crappy mail service....
Old 08-08-22, 12:59 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
"Push it Push it Real Good". Was yelled at me out a car window as I was pushing up a long steep hill on a hot day. That was a few years go and they had been running this Burger King commercial with that song a lot. It was totally a joke, and definitely made me laugh.
Old 08-08-22, 06:35 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
To this day the stupidest thing said to me was right after that texting cop plowed into me with his SUV. When I called him out for texting he interrupted with, "I wasn't texting! I was looking at my phone!"
I've had really good luck with drivers giving me space, the only time I remember that I had someone get close to the back of my bike and then pass very close while accelerating it was a police officer.

I guess my mistake was not waving.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 08-12-22, 03:11 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,172 Times in 2,220 Posts
Was recently called an elitist f*** when I politely asked the driver why he tried to kill me.

For a week my 4 year old called me an elitist duck.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-12-22, 04:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Was recently called an elitist f*** when I politely asked the driver why he tried to kill me.

For a week my 4 year old called me an elitist duck.
This you?...
Old 08-12-22, 06:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
There have been so many. Just this Tuesday 5 of us were riding on a 2 lane road miles from any town or commercial buildings. The kind of road where you might not see a car for several minutes. Ahead there is a guy with a leaf blower making a huge dust cloud. When we get there my friend says something to the guy and the guy yells at us to ride single file.

One time I was riding solo and on a fairly quiet section of a 2 lane road and there is a guy with a small pick up picking up "Open House" signs and putting them in his truck. As I get close he jumps in his truck and pulls it perpendicular to the road. I couldn't figure out what he was doing, I thought he was trying to make a 3 point turn or something but he just stayed there, blocking the lane. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was blocking me because bicyclists always ran stop signs and broke the law. I was blown away and didn't know how to react. I said "You've never seen me run a stop sign". Then I rode around him and stopped at the stop sign. Very Weird.
Old 08-12-22, 07:11 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,172 Times in 2,220 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This you?...

But my bow tie matches my socks.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-12-22, 07:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
But my bow tie matches my socks.

Don't be silly, ducks don't wear socks. Those are spats.
Likes For livedarklions: