Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Finding parts for an old pump

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 11:07 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Cleaning out the garage, I found an old mid-1990's Avenir AirMax pump which never worked right. I think the problem is that the check valve inside the pump body, is missing. (The pump delivers air, but the gauge doesn't hold a reading, and the handle will fly up into your face if you let it go.)

This check valve is a replaceable item in a Silca pump:
https://www.amazon.com/Silca-24-7-Inn.../dp/B001CJX58W
https://www.silcapompe.it/washers_en.htm

Avenir is just a brand name owned by Raleigh now, so there's no help available there.

I hate to throw the pump away, it's all steel and all but unused. Just need to find a check valve. Any idea where I might find this obscure part?
Old 07-19-11, 12:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea, Avenir is an importer created brand name .. who actually produced it is challenge #1..
If it's rebranded Silca, great!, they are still in business , in Italy.
Old 07-19-11, 07:26 AM
LarryMelman

I really doubt that Silca had anything to do with my pump. The base is stamped "made in Taiwan", and there's no model number on the pump, nothing stamped into the valve body itself. It's just that Silca is the only mfr. that appears to stock and sell this kind of replacement part for their pumps. I imagine that I need a part that's similar... only totally different. I don't have any clue where I might go to hunt for something that might work. There used to be a 50-year-old LBS nearby that had cabinets full of random junk, but they've been gone awhile now.
Old 07-19-11, 09:26 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would try to disassemble the check valve. It may just be a ball and spring type that is gummed up and needs cleaning and lube.

FYI, the one way cup/valve on the plunger of a lot of good older pumps is often made of oiled leather and replacements are available in the plumbing section at many ACE hardware stores for under a buck.
Old 07-19-11, 10:11 AM
LarryMelman

I've taken the pump completely apart. Inside the body where (I think) the check valve ought to be, is nothing at all.

There's an Ace hardware nearby that is good at finding that oddball screw or fastener. Maybe they'll have an idea. Otherwise I guess I'll just throw it away. I'll save the hose and head which are still usable. Seems a shame, the base and barrel are heavy steel and they just don't make 'em like that any more.
Old 07-20-11, 09:56 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Coincidentally, I have been using my Avenir for years and it has just recently stopped working. I think my problem is in the head (or whatever you call the part that goes on the valve). There's some kind of round rubber gasket inside that might be worn out. It's been a good pump and I'm sure if I can just replace the right part it still will be. Maybe the whole head? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-20-11, 10:09 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some have a diaphragm type check valve incorporated in the airjack/hose head and on some of the older ones this can be serviced.
I'm with you on older pumps. The one I use is over 35 years old and going strong. Not many newer ones will last half that long.

Originally Posted by LarryMelman
I've taken the pump completely apart. Inside the body where (I think) the check valve ought to be, is nothing at all.

There's an Ace hardware nearby that is good at finding that oddball screw or fastener. Maybe they'll have an idea. Otherwise I guess I'll just throw it away. I'll save the hose and head which are still usable. Seems a shame, the base and barrel are heavy steel and they just don't make 'em like that any more.
Old 07-20-11, 12:27 PM
LarryMelman

Well, this pump has a gauge. The gauge and the hose both screw into the valve body. The check valve has to be inside the valve body so that the gauge can hold a reading. (Not in the hose or the head.)

There is a rubber part at the bottom of the barrel whose purpose I don't understand. It's like a rubber washer with a smaller diameter rubber cylinder attached, the cylindrical part having ports in the sides.
Old 07-20-11, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Might be time to just go shopping for a new pump..
Actual Silca.. is good , mine is 25 years old.

and an equally old Medai, It has the Schrader thumb-lock head ,
get out the other for Presta.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-20-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 02:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I totally understand wanting to fix things instead of just tossing them.

I'd probably just take it to my favorite LBS maybe for a quick look-see in his junk box, but to me that would be the only hope.

as for...
Originally Posted by scroca
Coincidentally, I have been using my Avenir for years and it has just recently stopped working. I think my problem is in the head (or whatever you call the part that goes on the valve). There's some kind of round rubber gasket inside that might be worn out. It's been a good pump and I'm sure if I can just replace the right part it still will be. Maybe the whole head? Any help is appreciated.
Yea, you can buy replacement heads. My experience is that bike shops only stock "good" heads, and you might be surprised at how much they cost compared to a pump!

Last edited by Camilo; 07-20-11 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 03:54 PM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Might be time to just go shopping for a new pump..
This is more of a Quest to fix the old beast if it's at all possible. In the interest of Science and all that.

I have checked with most of the LBS's around here - none are old enough to have a good accumulation of junk. They all said "we'd call Avenir for you" which I've already done and they told me that they don't stock parts for anything this old.

Maybe I'll snoop around garage sales, or maybe my quest is at an end.