Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hip exercises

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 05:20 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Hip exercises

I am recovering from a hip/leg surgery and am having problems swinging my leg over the seat or lifting my foot over the top tube to get on. Do you know of any exercises to help accelerate the mobility in the hip joint?

I would prefer not to have responses like getting an step through or trike or recumbent since I have so many current bikes that have a triangle frame.
Old 04-29-22, 05:50 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Didn't your surgeon refer you to a physical therapist? If not, that's terrible - I'd call his office and ask for a referral, and chew him out while I was at it. If yes, then this question is properly asked of your PT, not of some random people on an internet forum who could, while well meaning, offer you advice that could delay your recovery or possibly make your situation worse.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-29-22, 05:52 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
how old are you?

Old 04-29-22, 06:20 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Originally Posted by noimagination
Didn't your surgeon refer you to a physical therapist? If not, that's terrible - I'd call his office and ask for a referral, and chew him out while I was at it. If yes, then this question is properly asked of your PT, not of some random people on an internet forum who could, while well meaning, offer you advice that could delay your recovery or possibly make your situation worse.
My surgeon did, but they (the PT) didn’t work on swinging my leg over a bike.

Thank you for your opinion.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-29-22, 06:21 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by 10 wheels
how old are you?
Old 04-29-22, 06:29 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
My surgeon did, but they (the PT) didn’t work on swinging my leg over a bike.

Thank you for your opinion.
IME, PTs are much nicer to deal with than doctors. They are more willing to listen to the patient, are more open to trying different things, and are often excited to be asked to help the patient do things outside the bounds of "normal" therapy. I'd encourage you to bring your bike to your next PT appointment and ask them for exercises to help with getting on the bike. I would guess that would make the PT's day.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-29-22, 10:51 AM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I am a 69 y.o. three weeks post hip replacement surgery. I haven't ridden yet but I was enable to get my good leg over the handlebars rather than lifting the leg with surgery over the saddle.
Osseointegration of the implants takes a while so I am being careful not to over do it until my 6 week follow-up visit. I could barely get on the bike before the surgery so things are looking up.
Old 04-29-22, 08:12 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by pennstater
I am a 69 y.o. three weeks post hip replacement surgery. I haven't ridden yet but I was enable to get my good leg over the handlebars rather than lifting the leg with surgery over the saddle.
Osseointegration of the implants takes a while so I am being careful not to over do it until my 6 week follow-up visit. I could barely get on the bike before the surgery so things are looking up.
That's great, I have gotten my leg over the saddle on my gravel bike but have trouble with my Ebike. It may be because it is so heavy, and I am worried about tilting it too much, also this was one of the first times that I have ever ridden it.
Old 04-29-22, 11:07 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Would standing on a curb with the bike down at street level help - it effectively lowers the bike's overall height. I put my back out a few weeks ago and this is how I get on at the moment. I can get off without playing this game. I've also found that I can stand the bike next to a supportive object like a tree that I can lean on and it helps provide the balance. I also found that using panniers rather than a rear truck makes it easier to swing my foot over/behind the saddle without the truck hanging me up.

And then work on flexibility.

By the way my right hip has been replaced twice!

Good luck.
Old 04-30-22, 07:27 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Also, consider a wireless dropper.
Old 04-30-22, 02:32 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
That's great, I have gotten my leg over the saddle on my gravel bike but have trouble with my Ebike. It may be because it is so heavy, and I am worried about tilting it too much, also this was one of the first times that I have ever ridden it.
My suggestion would be to tilt the bike as a way to lower the top tube. With the advice to go back to your PT and talk to them, that should do it. If you think the eBike might be too heavy, have someone spot your while you try it as a way to find out. Whatever you do, don't give up. As my GP told me, recovery from this sort of thing is 90% the patient and 10% the surgeon. Work on it and continue to work on it. You'll be happy you did.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-30-22, 03:30 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Old 04-30-22, 07:05 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
It is a good thing stress is good because his pacing is stressing me out!
Old 05-01-22, 04:02 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What provided the best results initially was a visit to a physical therapist who was trained in the Pressure Release Technique. Scar tissue forms around the artificial hip and the PT needs to help with releasing the hip connective tissue. After that it is important to do regular stretching exercises (which my wife does while sitting on the floor) to keep everything loose.

Surgeons have little concern and no knowledge of post surgery physical therapy. Unless a PT knows PRT they are also relatively worthless. In our experience one in six physical therapists knows what is required for recovery. A separate but related problem is when people have a very low pain threshold and won't let the PT do the necessary stretching.