Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

non-disc brake purchase options?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

non-disc brake purchase options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 08:05 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Cantis are so easy to adjust and set up. I've been running them since the seventies with no problem. I prefer them to most rim brakes.
This is my experience, also. But I am running Paul Components cantilever brakes.
Likes For randallr:
Old 07-29-21, 08:08 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
As a MTBer from the 90s, its funny to read all the old arguments.

I resisted discs for a long time (standard arguments about weight and complexity) but knew it was the future. Once all the standards were worked out (98ish?), it was a no brainer on a new bike.

Living in road-centric NYC, its funny how mechanics knew very little about discs when they hit the road scene.

Cantis, bleh. I still have one bike with them. Because they look cooler than Vs. I have a set of Avid Tri Aligns but don't use em because bleh.... I rode cantis when they were in their peak and as soon as Vs hit, I switched to them. Everyone who seriously rode off-road did. They were a huge change.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-29-21, 08:54 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
This is my experience, also. But I am running Paul Components cantilever brakes.
I have them on one bike. They are much easier to set up than Shimano. But the Shimano can be made to work well.
Old 07-29-21, 10:39 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
As a MTBer from the 90s, its funny to read all the old arguments.

I resisted discs for a long time (standard arguments about weight and complexity) but knew it was the future. Once all the standards were worked out (98ish?), it was a no brainer on a new bike.

Living in road-centric NYC, its funny how mechanics knew very little about discs when they hit the road scene.

Cantis, bleh. I still have one bike with them. Because they look cooler than Vs. I have a set of Avid Tri Aligns but don't use em because bleh.... I rode cantis when they were in their peak and as soon as Vs hit, I switched to them. Everyone who seriously rode off-road did. They were a huge change.
Agree with all of this. I was into MTB in the 90's as well, and still remember the first time I tried a set of XT linear pull v-brakes. What a huge improvement over cantilevers. The same can be said for discs. In the mid 00's, I went from a 26" rim brake to a 29" hydro disc brake MTB and it was a massive transformation.

When I got into CX racing in the early 2010's, I was disappointed to discover that disc brakes were only on the highest end models (at that time), so I settled for a canti brake CX bike. It worked fine (I still use that bike as a backup and on my indoor trainer), but it felt like a huge step back compared to my disc brake MTB.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-29-21, 10:53 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Concave washers and barrel adjusters?! Oh, the complexity!

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against hydraulic brakes. But to describe setting up cantilevers as though it's some kind of Gordian knot is either a vast overstatement or an unflattering glimpse of your mechanical abilities.
At any rate, just like hydros, it's certainly not "beyond the reach" of a shop mechanic, or "a specialized thing that only certain shops or mechanics can do."
Oh please. My comment was obviously made in jest. I do not think cantilever brakes are some kind of unsolvable conundrum, but they do require some knowledge and patience to set up properly. Pretending otherwise is downright silly.

What a dumb thing to argue about.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-29-21, 11:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
For those who don't know about cantis:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

and his additional page on canti "theory":

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

Or, you can loosen 2 bolts (with only one allen key!) and align a hydro disc caliper so the rotor doesn't rub and be done with brake adjustment altogether and forever.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-30-21, 12:23 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Discs are the easier to set up than just about all rim brakes, easier to maintain, and stop better (more predictably and reliably) than any rim brake. The technology is sufficiently mature that they don't just magically fail. This should be the end of the thread, but I am confident there will be several more pages of people to tell us the virtues of the only brake system they know, which coincidentally is not disc brakes, unless they started riding bicycles last year.

Old 07-30-21, 05:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I'm sorry this thread has devolved into another disc vs rim. There are a number of reasons someone might still be interested in a rim brake bike. Like Di2 vs mechanical, people aren't going to scrap stuff just because something better is available.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-21, 06:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm sorry this thread has devolved into another disc vs rim.
Devolve? It didn’t devolve, it was crafted to be that from the inception. It was the OP which asked, “Why can't Shimano make a GRX with cantilever brakes?”

And scrapping stuff? The OP isn’t scrapping anything, as the other question in the OP was if there are any complete gravel bikes without disc brakes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-30-21, 06:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by chaadster
Devolve? It didn’t devolve, it was crafted to be that from the inception. It was the OP which asked, “Why can't Shimano make a GRX with cantilever brakes?”

And scrapping stuff? The OP isn’t scrapping anything, as the other question in the OP was if there are any complete gravel bikes without disc brakes.
You are correct. I did forget how it started out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-21, 06:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You are correct. I did forget how it started out.
No worries. I understand the frustration of rehashing the same discussions over and over again. We’ll probably see a friction vs. indexed shifting thread soon!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-30-21, 10:28 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
We’ll probably see a friction vs. indexed shifting thread soon!
Bring it...electronic is far superior to both. Again, for the same reasons of discs vs rimmers....ease of setup and virtually maintenance free. But, yeh, let's do it!
Old 07-30-21, 10:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

There actually is a friction vs index happening now. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...tensions.html;)
Old 07-30-21, 10:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

There actually is a friction vs index happening now. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...tensions.html;)
Oh my!
Old 07-30-21, 11:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I was going to post an anecdote about why I quit using friction, but decided against it.

I don't really think that rim brakes are that hard to adjust, but I really have to generate some patience when I work on them. New brake pads at the same time as new brake cables are the worst. I'm not sure why vee brakes are considered easier than cantilevers, they can be a real pain. I still have rim brake road bikes and probably will continue to have rim brake road bikes for some time. I am even working on a bike that's going to have cantilevers. Although after one particularly rainy 600km brevet, I really wanted a disc road bike. Haven't done anything about that yet though.

But as far as rim brake gravel bike goes, everyone needs a hobby, but fighting an industry trend that has now universally taken over is one I can do without.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-30-21, 04:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
At some point it is just time to turn and swim with the current. Some folks just want to swim up stream a little longer than others.
Likes For dwmckee: