Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Travelling companions Japan 2022

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 07:26 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is updated to my trip details, now that travel dates are confirmed.

I am planning a bike trip in Japan August-October for anyone that is interested in coming along.

I have done a couple of bike trips in Japan previously, and had a fantastic time, but there is always more to see. So, I am going to set off on another trip, this time traveling via the less commonly visited areas by tourists.

The plan is to ride from the northern tip of Japan (Soya Misaki) starting on the 7th of August, and snake my way down to the Southern tip (Sata Misaki), over a period about 8-10 weeks, visiting and discovering lots of stuff along the way.

With regards to daily distance, I was thinking of averaging around 100km (60mi) a day, but this is negotiable.

Most nights on the trip will be spent camping, with a hotel stay every now and then.

A bit about me, I'm 31, Australian, speak a tiny bit of Japanese. I am pretty easy going. Know my way around a bicycle very well.

If you’re interested let me know, we can chat a bit more, since it would be great to have some company on the trip, to share in a few laughs and the adventure.

Last edited by azza_333; 04-21-22 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-05-21, 10:03 AM
jpjuggler

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This looks amazing, I wish I was available for those dates. I look forward to hearing or seeing your journey as you go.
Old 12-05-21, 10:21 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Wish I could go. Did this Kyushu trip in 2019. Looks like it might overlap with your route for a few days.

Last edited by dgodave; 12-06-21 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For dgodave:
Old 12-06-21, 06:51 AM
jpjuggler

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Wish I could go. Did this trip in 2019. Looks like it might overlap with your route for a few days.

awesome looking trip! how many days? what kind of bike went on the train? thanks!!!
Old 12-06-21, 09:08 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
awesome looking trip! how many days? what kind of bike went on the train? thanks!!!
Close to 3 weeks. But I stayed 2 or 3 nights at certain locations to do day rides rather than moving on every single day.

I toured "credit card" style on a Brompton folding bike. This was perfect for dealing with trains as well as checking in at hotels. Fold and cover and store it right in my room no questions. I did have to lower the stock gearing a lot to deal with the many steep hills.
Old 12-09-21, 03:22 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I’m planning on Japan being my next tour, if and when entry restrictions are lifted. Either april/may (south to north) or mid august/september (north to south), which I believe are good times to be there weather-wise, neh?

If Japan doesn’t open up again in ’22 it’ll be back to the trusted Mediterranean in September 😊
Old 12-11-21, 05:26 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I'm in Japan, and have done some similar rides, let me know when (if) you get some exact dates, I might be able to join for at least part of the tour.
Old 12-13-21, 07:46 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Anyone going to Kyushu should visit Aso. It is one of the wonders of planet earth: an ancient volcanic crater (caldera) so huge it has 5 mountains and an active volcano within it's embrace.
Old 04-21-22, 04:10 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
Anyone going to Kyushu should visit Aso. It is one of the wonders of planet earth: an ancient volcanic crater (caldera) so huge it has 5 mountains and an active volcano within it's embrace.
That's definitely on my list.