Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-22-21, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Huh. I was on Zwift this morning and didn't notice anything different, although I run it on AppleTV.
Old 10-23-21, 01:28 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
I hope you're feeling better!
Starting to, thanks. I had a very mild case, almost asymptomatic. A headache that lasted about a week, taste and smell went weird (didn't disappear, it just wasn't right) for a couple of days, and fatigue and breathlessness if I over exerted myself. The fatigue is still lingering. I normally commute to work by bike, and my wife had to collect me on Thursday. I went out on my gravel bike today with friends to a local trail centre. I managed one lap (6 miles) and sat out the second. Now, I'm off to bed for an early night. My coach has given me a really easy week of training this week as well.
Likes For rivers:
Old 10-24-21, 04:23 PM
henrycroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Went to do an end of year TT on a local stretch that I use for such occasions, and completely biffed it on a corner. So didn't get an end of season check in, but looking forward to starting training for 2022 in the next few weeks!
Likes For henrycroll:
Old 10-25-21, 08:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
Just capped off a week with nearly 700 TSS, including some longer rides Saturday and Sunday. My knee pain has been non-existent or at least manageable for about 1 month now, which is great. Even though my CTL is only ~65, I'm going to take an easy week next week just to get back in the swing of things. Typically October is like an informal base month where I slowly start to ride more without structure and I FTP test and train diligently starting November; this season I think I'm just gonna offset that by a month.

During November, I will continue to explore more lower-body strengthening stuff with in-network and out-of network sports med/PT docs. My goal is both (overuse) injury prevention and overall strength and health. So I don't think I'll be doing fully loaded sets of 5 per-se, but we will see.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-27-21, 08:28 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
EZ week randomness. I did 30 min on the trainer, most of which on the TT bike in position. Swapped it out for a road bike and now I'm going to tune into a 1 hour webinar from a major scientific instrument mfg while I spin z1. For the record, I am billing this hour! But I'm salaried and exempt and it's in excess of 40 so w/e
Old 10-28-21, 02:27 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
now I'm going to tune into a 1 hour webinar from a major scientific instrument mfg while I spin z1. For the record, I am billing this hour! But I'm salaried and exempt and it's in excess of 40 so w/e
I use to go to all the free "training" seminars offered by Thermo, Agilent, etc. Full day out of office and a free lunch!
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 10-28-21, 02:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Signed up to do the open 123 race at the Into the Lions Den crit at the Capitol on Saturday. Came down with a stomach bug the other night and still feeling pretty weak. It's a shame, because I feel like my fitness was coming up to the point where I wouldn't embarrass myself, at least. Now I think I'll just get blown out the back unless I get back to 100% in two days, which I think is pretty unlikely. Sigh, it's always something.
Old 10-28-21, 03:01 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by caloso
Signed up to do the open 123 race at the Into the Lions Den crit at the Capitol on Saturday. Came down with a stomach bug the other night and still feeling pretty weak. It's a shame, because I feel like my fitness was coming up to the point where I wouldn't embarrass myself, at least. Now I think I'll just get blown out the back unless I get back to 100% in two days, which I think is pretty unlikely. Sigh, it's always something.
If just some gastro you may be totally fine in two days and a bit lighter too!
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 10-28-21, 03:18 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I use to go to all the free "training" seminars offered by Thermo, Agilent, etc. Full day out of office and a free lunch!
I miss the days in grad school and postdoc that product shows came with a free lunch. Working on a campus now where we have so few researchers and VWR has an exclusive contract so product shows (as a grad student we always got ticked when the professors came to the product shows and took "our" food anyway).
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-28-21, 05:30 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
If just some gastro you may be totally fine in two days and a bit lighter too!
True, I did finally hit race weight....
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-28-21, 06:07 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've been kind of doing a type of base block the past few weeks. A couple of weeks ago it was a bit unstructured, but did 2hrs Tues/Thurs, thresholdish stuff Wed, and raced CX on the weekend, last week was more structured, 2.5hrs Z2 Tues/Thurs, 1hr thresholdish stuff Wed, 90min Z2 Fri, and 3hrs both Sat and Sun. This week I did 3hrs Z2 tues and thurs (on the trainer), thresholdish intervals Wed, not sure what for tomorrow, and gonna try for 3.5-4 both Sat and Sun, on the trainer. it's really going to test my will to live lol But I think I won't extend the block into next week with additional time, a) because it's going to get really hard to just do on the trainer and b) I'm not sure what the benefit of this little experiment really is since I'm not going to routinely be doing more than 2hr sessions on the trainer during winter.
Old 10-30-21, 11:53 PM
caloso

As it turns out, I felt great today. Didn’t crash, despite sketchy juniors divebombing corners. Didn’t flat. And most importantly, never felt I was in difficulty. Maybe some of it was racing on streets I literally ride on every day as part of my commute, I didn’t have any top end, so I wasn’t going to be able to out sprint the bunch, but I knew I wasn’t going to get dropped either.

Super stoked with my pack finish.
Old 10-31-21, 08:54 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
did 4hrs on the trainer yesterday, what a slog, mainly a saddle comfort issue, if it weren't for that it would be a lot easier to handle. I skipped out on CX racing this week because it's been raining all week, and was raining yesterday morning on a course that even in dry conditions can be a butt kicker. no need to go suffer and have to clean off mud for a mid-pack finish lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-31-21, 01:03 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Good week of volume, run and bike. Off season stuff.

I recently got that 530 for the Notio so set that up. Didn't use the Notio as it was a hilly ride. Also a deal on a Vivoactive watch. Both the watch and the gps gave me humorous Garmin vo2 max values, even if they were within a point of each other (one run, one bike). Don't go running out to quit your day job based on some device's feedback, LOL.

I thought it was cute, then looked up the bad reviews on the figure it spits out.
Old 10-31-21, 01:08 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
burnthesheep - FWIW, my measured bike VO2 max was only one point off from my Garmin-generated one. I'm guessing my run one was fairly close too. Sometimes the Garmin gets it right.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-01-21, 04:41 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

As it turns out, I felt great today. Didn’t crash, despite sketchy juniors divebombing corners. Didn’t flat. And most importantly, never felt I was in difficulty. Maybe some of it was racing on streets I literally ride on every day as part of my commute, I didn’t have any top end, so I wasn’t going to be able to out sprint the bunch, but I knew I wasn’t going to get dropped either.

Called it.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 11-01-21, 05:27 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I'm slowly getting back into it post-Covid. My coach has been easing me back into sessions, which at the minute are mostly endurance-tempo based, with the occasional short threshold-VO2 max interval thrown in. And they are more effort than they should be. Even though my symptoms were incredibly mild (bit of fatigue, taste/smell went funny for a couple of days, and a mild headache), the post-Covid recovery has been harder than I thought it would be. Heart rate is higher than normal, and I get winded easier than pre-covid. My first couple of commutes to and from work were hideous- my wife had to collect me on my first day after work because I could not cycle home. I was hoping to do a few Zwift races with my team during this season of ZRL, but I don't think it's going to happen- I don't have my race stamina back yet. I will get there, luckily it's the off-season.
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-01-21, 07:00 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
rivers - Your experience mirrors mine and that of others I've heard of. Just let your body come back as it wants to.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 11-01-21, 07:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts

I think MattM won that race.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 11-01-21, 07:27 AM
caloso

Yep. Terun went 1-2. Mike Sayers, a coach on the USA national team and former pro, was 3rd. I think he won the P123 race the last time they ran this course in 2012.
Old 11-02-21, 07:14 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Tried a Z ride to try out my moved trainer setup. HR was in the toilet despite averaging ftp up the KOM climb that is like 20-ish minutes. RPE was up. The running probably affecting it somehow. I mean, average HR for this barely above Z2. Whatever, off season. Just staying decently fit and trim. Well, trim plus a pound or three.
Old 11-04-21, 11:41 PM
caloso

FTP test this evening. I hate the TR ramp test so I tried the Kolie Moore protocol instead. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...ing-protocols/

Got a 5 W bump, which isn’t huge, but it feels right based on the way my workouts have been going.
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-05-21, 10:22 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Tuesday night was last club run TT of the year due to the time changing.

I had a good amount of fatigue from picking up running and gathering back some volume after the end of local cross racing season for me.

I knew with cold weather and form a PR was out of question, so donned the road helmet and cheapo suit and instead did the course twice. I wanted to see how my power was progressing.

My 40k power pr was about 262 to 265. This was over 30min at over 270. I felt I could have held it on for a 40k if I kept going. Also I went out way way too easy. My ending heart rate was a full 10 to 12 bpm low versus how I target ending a TT.

Sad note, the club run TT course in opposite direction was a KOM I used to have. One of the P/1/2 guys that got podium at regionals stole it over summer. I don't remember noticing, till hitting the segment that night while doing the course twice. Like, 30 sec faster over 7 miles. Not unsurmountable, but damn the dude did like 330w for it. Sheesh. I'm not even into the 300's yet for that distance. Close, 290, but still.

Happy note, great little fun bunch to ride with. Two of us on TT bikes and another 5 to 8 on road bikes. Only improvement on your PR based, so everyone on equal footing. Beers after. I'll miss it.

I think 2022 I really need to grow the power a bit. Taking it from "that's a quick ride" up to "that's legit fast". If I can get the 10mi power into the low 300's, I think it may get pretty wicked in 2022.

I have the Zwift setup now in the porch legit, now to put a plan together and build up the engine over winter. I hate Z races with the fakeness and cheating, but will do some indoor TT's to keep my mental edge. I may re-setup my mech shifting old Felt DA for trainer duty for Z TT's. Just would hurt my soul a bit putting a pro tour worthy TT bike setup on a sweaty indoor trainer. But whatever, it needs a bath once in a while anyway.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-08-21, 08:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Our trip to the Middleast - Croatia, Montenegro, Italy and Greece resulted in 37 days of travel and 670 miles of cycling with 30,000 feet of climbing and several 3000 foot days. We had many hard climbing days in a row with a total TSS of 2198. It was a solid way to get base and mountain training. The terrain is very rugged such that we did a lot of 10% plus grades. I needed to be really skinny. I had amazing legs the entire trip and sometimes my Garmin would indicate that I needed 4 days to recover. Yeah whatever.

I have done some easy cycling this last week and yesterday my legs started to feel pretty good as the jet lag is starting to subside. Jet lag was a lot harder on the return trip.

It was a totally fun trip that we turned into a training camp / tour de force and an odyssey though history dating back thousands of years before Christ.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-09-21, 12:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

4x400 run at lunch yesterday at 5:45/mi and rest at 10:30/mi. Club run tonight. The TT club runs in the off season instead of ride together once it is dark. I'll do that every other week. Then off weeks do a few hours on Zwift at night instead.

Week 4 now of run/bike volume. Combined TSS/wk up to 500. Feeling good. Run pr's. Probably some bike power pr's soon. I'm going to do at least one of the longer SST Zwift workouts per week for a bit. Then "sneak" the power up by like 2 or 3 watts and rinse/repeat.

Loving the paincave setup. Room looks great. Awesome place to go read a book now also. Put up some curtains. If anything if it isn't a really cold day the room doesn't even need to be heated much after I warmup and get working. For summer I will need a window a/c or floor and tube a/c unit. I may see if I can reroute a stupidly placed inside the house vent to the room and tap in a return with a little filter on it. The relocated security system sensor on the door works great.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.