Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back on the road after a year off

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-08-21, 02:37 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts

For a variety of reasons, I've been off the bike for just over a year - last ride was last October. Just got new wheels built for my bike - my rear Open Pro cracked (which I discovered inspecting my bike), so in true n+1 fashion, I took the opportunity to replace that as well as build a whole new wheelset using Bitex hubs/Sapim Race spokes and H Plus Son Archetype rims (all silver). In any case, got out on the road today with the new wheelset for a 12 mile ride (I am recovering from knee surgery, so this felt like a safe ride should I experience problems).

First few pedal strokes felt a bit weird (my left knee still has a good amount of swelling and it is a bit uncomfortable to bend it fully), but once I got rolling it felt great. Did a short route with some rolling hills and one tough climb, did everything seated as I need to get a bit more confidence in the knee before I get out of the saddle. Good news is no pain, bad news is that I am way out of shape so the climb cooked me pretty well. Rode for about 45 minutes, which is about all I really wanted to do as I started to get a bit saddle sore towards the end (I guess my season is just starting while others are coming to a close with cooler weather).

Hardest part was getting my left shoe on and comfortable as some of the swelling from my knee travels south thanks to gravity (plus I tailgated Saturday at the USC/Florida game and am paying the price for standing for many hours ). But, happy to be riding again, if my knee reacts well to this hoping to get back out in the next couple of days. Beautiful fall days this week in NC with temps in the low 70's, perfect riding weather.
Likes For mprince:
Old 11-08-21, 02:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Sounds like a come back has begun! The fitness will return eventually.
Old 11-08-21, 03:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
My doctor put me on a bike after my knee surgery back in the 70s to build back some flexibility and strength. But, I had to strap my crutches to the frame, because he didn't want me to put full weight on the knee walking!
You may want to consider an indoor trainer. It's getting cooler now, and of course, it gets dark early. You can still get the benefits of riding without having to worry about overdoing it, or having pain in your knee while you're still miles from home.
Old 11-08-21, 04:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Terrific!!! Good to hear you’re back out riding again. I think the H Plus Son rims are a great choice. I have a pair on Industry Nine hubs and they’ve been bombproof. I’ve used them for the past 5+ years riding across the US and many week long tours. The wider profile allows for a little lower air pressure and a really comfortable ride.

The weather the next few days is incredible. I layered up this morning playing golf using my leg warmers and shorts and by the 5th hole I’d shed everything. I hope to get out the next couple days to take advantage of it. The winds this weekend were challenging for sure. I rode due north from Concord into the headwinds for 45 miles then rode back. The ride back was a lot more fun!!!

Good luck with the knee recovery!